News from Fourth Grade
February 8 - February 12
This week we will be finishing up our fiction unit with a unit test on Tuesday and Wednesday.
On Monday (2/8), we will be skyping (video chatting) with Chris Grabenstein the author of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, Island of Dr. Libris, and Mr. Leomcello's Library Olympics.
Remember students should be recording their 30 minutes of reading every night on their home reading log and turning it in every Friday!
This week we will continue our fractions unit. We will be working on different strategies for comparing fractions. Students will be working daily through a rotation of four stations (independent work, hands on activity, technology practice, teacher group).
Reminder: Young Authors stories are due on Thursday, February 11th! This is a requirement and all work on this story needs to be done at home.
Weekly Home Expectations
- 30 minutes of reading a night recorded on Home Reading Log
- Math facts practice (IXL, xtramath, fashcards, Prodigy, etc.)
IXL Lesson Suggestions:
- Fractions - Fourth Grade Q.4, Q.6, Q.11, Q.13, Q.14, Q.15
- Fact Practice - Fourth Grade B.1, C.1, D.1, E.1, F.1
For the past several weeks, our fourth graders have been participating in a compassion project with Mrs. Sayre. They have been investigating what it means to be compassionate, what they think they are compassionate about, and researching different charities they might want to support.
In an effort to raise money for different charities, we have decided to have a Make Sale. Students will be creating different items to sell to raise money for their compassion project.
If students have materials from home that they would like to bring to school to help create different items (rainbow looms, ribbon, etc.) they are encouraged to bring them in with your permission. Please have your student bring their item in a bag with their name on it and a note from a parent that gives permission for that item.
*If any families have old, broken crayons they would like to donate to our make sale efforts it would be greatly appreciated. Please do not go out and buy a new box of crayons, but if you have old, broken crayons that you are not using please consider having your student bring them in.
- REPORT CARDS are coming home today (2/5) in Friday Folders.
- Young Authors stories are due Thursday, February 11th!
- Thursday, February 11th-Early Dismissal
- NO SCHOOL-Friday, February 12th
- Parent/Teacher Conferences-Thursday, February 11th and Friday, February 12th
- NO SCHOOL-Monday, February 15th
- Remember that if your student is planning to stay after school for study hall they must bring in a pink permission form each time they stay.
- Please remember that students are no longer allowed to bring in birthday treats. However, they may bring in a non-food item to share with their classmates on their birthday. There are 20 students in our classroom.