October Parent Newsletter
West Buncombe Elementary
10/6 BCS School Board Meeting, 5:30
10/11 BCS District Advisory Council. 6-8
10/19 Read to Achieve Testing (select gr 4 students)
10/26 Health Fair10/31 Halloween, 12:20 Early Release
A note from the principal
With cooler temperatures comes the need for jackets in the morning. Please write your child's name in their jacket so in case it is lost they can get it back.
Thank you for supporting our school and your child's teachers. It makes all the difference.
Progress reports coming home soon
- Ask if there are questions or issues your child wants you to discuss with the teacher.
- Plan to bring something to take notes with (paper and pen or a laptop or other device).
- Share a few things about your child with the teacher — interests, strengths, favorite subjects — to help the teacher know your child better.
- Write down questions or topics you'd like the conference to cover. Depending on your situation, you may want to ask about:
- whether your child is meeting grade-level expectations (not how he or she compares with peers)
- what the teacher sees as your child's strengths and challenges and how these are being addressed
- other services to help your child grow as a learner
- making a plan to check in regularly if there are any learning or behavior problems
- your child's work habits
- how your child gets along with other students in class and during lunch, recess, phys-ed, and other classes
- Complete the lunch application to apply for free/reduced lunch. We have copies at our school or you can apply at www.lunchapplication.com. You'll need your student's ID number. Remember, lunch is $3.50 for each student this year.
- Load money on your child's lunch account at https://www.k12paymentcenter.com. You can also pay with cash.
- Your student can also purchase a la carte items in the cafeteria, but they can not charge them. They must either have cash or money on their account.