Welcome to the 2021-2022 School Year
Hello Audubon Families,
The 2021-2022 school year is quickly approaching and we hope you are as ready and excited as we are for a great year ahead. We know that the past few years have had some challenges in a variety of ways, especially with COVID-19, however we have also had some amazing opportunities present themselves and this year we will be able to explore and expand those awesome opportunities.
In the message below there are some "high level" informational pieces that you will need as we get started for the year. Please know that we will be continuing to provide updated information to you in the coming weeks with things you need to know.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out and we will do our best to answer them for you. You can always reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-328-2602.
We look forward to seeing you all in the coming weeks as we start a great year!
Wishing you health and wellness,
Principal, Audubon Elementary
COVID Protocols (as of 8/3/2021)
- Masks are required for any person riding public transportation which includes our school busses. If your child rides the bus to or from school they will have to wear a mask while on the bus.
- Masks are highly recommended indoors for everyone regardless of vaccination status but they are not required.
- Those students or staff that choose to wear a mask will be allowed to do so - they will not be required to take them off by anyone in the school.
- If a student or adult is showing symptoms of being ill, especially those that are consistent with COVID, they are highly encouraged to stay home.
- If symptoms are not resolved within 48 hours then the symptomatic person would be required to get a COVID test to return. If negative, and symptoms are getting better, they could return.
Positive or Presumed Positive:
- If someone tests positive for COVID-19 they will be required by public health to isolate for a minimum of 10 days.
- They may return to school on day 11 IF they have no fever and symptoms are getting better. We know that not all symptoms may go away within the 10 day isolation window so we will work with families on what steps need to be taken.
- Families must report positive cases or exposure to positive cases to the school so that we can take appropriate actions within the building.
- Due to the nature of COVID-19 and its spread, quarantines are still possible during the 2021-2022 school year.
- We have more guidance on targeted quarantines and hope to be able to keep students in school as much as possible and not have to quarantine entire classes, grade levels, etc.
- Should there be a need to quarantine we will alert families as quickly as possible so that you can make arrangements as needed.
School Cleaning Practices/Student Hygiene:
- The staff at Audubon will continue to maintain our cleaning practices that were enhanced last year.
- Multiple times daily we sanitize common areas (i.e., restrooms) and commonly touched surfaces.
- Classrooms are all provided a soap/water and mild detergent for sanitizing opportunities during the school day.
- Nightly, when students and staff are gone, we use stronger cleaning solution to sanitize all classrooms, offices, restrooms, etc.
- Our ventilation system will continue to work at 150% airflow to keep fresh air consistently moving through the building.
Meet Your Teacher/Open House - August 12 3:00 - 4:30
One question that comes up regularly is how/when will we find out who our child's teacher is for the year? We hope (fingers crossed) to post those class lists at the school starting early next week. We said we hope because we are still learning/navigating the new Power School system ourselves and cannot promise an exact date or time - a message will be sent out once that information is available.
- Main Phone Line - 719-328-2600
- Attendance Line - 719-328-2613
- Address - 2400 E. Van Buren, Colorado Springs, CO 80909
School Day Info:
- 7:30 - Breakfast in cafeteria
- 7:45 - Students able to be dropped off
- 8:00 - School day starts
- 11:30/12:00 - Students lunch times
- 2:30 - Dismissal
- Some students are eligible to ride the bus depending on where they live
- D11 Transportation will be reaching out with specifics of pick-up/drop-off times and locations for the bus stops
- You can click here to see if your address qualifies you for district transportation (once on the site you can enter your address)
- If you have any questions about transportation please feel free to call our office or the district transportation office at 719-520-2940
Meals for 2021-2022
We still encourage every family to fill out the application for "Free or Reduced" rates as that does have an impact on our school and our district with funding. It also can help qualify a family for EBT funds that they may need. To fill out the form please click the link below and submit your information:
Technology for 2021-2022
Students that are in Preschool - 2nd grade will receive an iPad and those students in 3rd-5th grade will receive a Google Chromebook. Students will be taught how to use the devices in school. If you have questions about the device you can contact Mr. Watson, our schools Library Technology Educator, at email@example.com or call him at 719-328-2624.
How to Get Involved
The SAC is a group of parents, community and staff that meet monthly to discuss things happening at the school including activities, budget, and testing just to name a few. The primary focus of this group is to serve as an accountability committee for the school and ensure that Audubon is moving in the appropriate direction to make sure students are getting what they need. Our first SAC meeting for 2021-2022 will be Thursday, September 9 at 4:00 in the school library.
Our PTA is a strong advocacy group that works tirelessly to support the staff and students of our school. They provide students with a variety of opportunities throughout the year and also run some of our fundraisers to support staff and students. The PTA meets every other month as a whole group. If you have any questions about the PTA please reach out to our President, Mishel Fowler, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The first PTA meeting of the school year is Tuesday, August 24th at 5:30 p.m. in the school library. Dinner and daycare will be available for those in attendance.
School Supply List and Donations
If you are wanting to donate supplies to the school we are happy to accept those donations. We are always needing extra crayons, markers, colored pencils, composition books, kids scissors, Ziploc bags, etc. Any donations can be dropped off in the front office.
Upcoming Dates and Events
August 12 - Meet Your Teacher/Open House
August 16 - First Day for Students
August 24 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
September 6 - Labor Day; School Closed
September 9 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
September 20 - PD/Work Day; No Students
September 21 - Individual Picture Day
October 2 - Community Clean-up Day
October 14 - Chuckie Cheese Night
October 15 - Teacher Work Day; No Students
October 18 - Data Collaboration Day; No Students
October 19 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
October 21 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
October 22 - Trunk or Treat @ 4:00
October 25 - Book Fair
October 28/29 - Parent/Guardian/Teacher Conferences; No Students
November 9 - Individual Picture Day Makeup
November 11 - Veterans Day
November 11 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
November 22-26 - Thanksgiving Week; School Closed
November 29/30 - Health Screening
December 6-10 - Holiday Shop
December 14 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
December 17 - School Movie @ 8:30
December 20-Jan 2 - Winter Break; School Closed
January 3 - PD/Work Day; No Students
January 4 - Work Day; No Students
January 13 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
January 17 - MLK Day; School Closed
February 10 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
February 11 - Movie Night @ 5:30
February 15 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
February 21 - Presidents Day; School Closed
February 28-March 4 - Dr. Seuss Week and Book Fair
March 7 - Teacher Work Day; No students
March 8 - Data Collaboration Day; No students
March 10 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
March 21-25 - Spring Break; School Closed
April 1 - Chuckie Cheese Night
April 14 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
April 18-22 - Volunteer Appreciation Week
April 19 - PTA Meeting @ 5:30
April 22 - John J. Audubon Birthday Celebration
May 2-6 - Teacher Appreciation Week
May 12 - SAC Meeting @ 4:00
May 20 - Students Last Day