School Counselor update
Take aways from PLC Stephanie Andrews
Child Study Protocol
- Anyone who is in contact with the student can refer as long as there is communication with the teacher on record.
- Once the student is identified, teachers/team staff about student
- Sent an email with students identified to Counselor Rivera for Vision and Hearing
- In the meantime, teachers meet and determine interventions (2-3 wks or sooner depending on the level of intervention at that time)
- If none of the interventions tried are working, they invite Mrs Rivera and place the student on Tier II level to discuss the student further (this will be the 2nd meeting)
- Once we meet I will do my part in collecting items needed for this student as well as contacting parent if necessary
- If the student is not responding then we meet a 3rd time and at this time the Psychologist will be involved as we refer if academic
- Students whose parents are asking for Therapy need to be on Child Study
- Child Study is for behavior and/or academic issues.
- Differences between interventions, modifications were discussed
- Tier II interventions are those that aren't done with the rest of the class. Usually one on one. Not included in differentiation. Acceleration is also a form of intervention
- Tutoring, one on one, T.A. interventions, holding heavy books, sending student on a meltdown for an errand to redirect behavior, Dayspring,
- Purpose is to empower and make it easier on you..
- You are the professionals and we are giving back power to make the decisions
- Student is identified
- If teacher/ nurse or Assistant receives medical information please give to Nurse/Assistant AND Counselor
- Counselor contacts parent gathers medical consent
- Teacher fills out 504 form and sends to Counselor
- Psychologist receives info
- A letter is sent to parent for signature and set up meeting
- Meeting is with Psychologist parent and 504 District Coordinator and teacher
- Accommodations are provided for student.