First Grade News
September 10, 2015
Dear 1st Grade Star Parents,
We have had such a wonderful third week of school! I hope all of you enjoyed your nice long three day weekend. So many exciting things have been taking place in first grade this week:
- Tomorrow, September 11th, the Sparkle Store will be open at 7:30. Your child is bringing home their earned sparkles again today and will continue to do so every Thursday evening. Please help your child count his/her sparkles and put them in groups of 10. Look over the attached "Sparkle Store Menu" with your child to determine what item your child would like to "purchase". If children know what they want before they get to the store, the process goes much quicker. However, your child might not want to trade-in sparkles tomorrow, so the sparkles can be saved .
- In LA/Social Studies, we have been learning all about Citizenship. Talk with your child about what makes a good citizen at school and in the community!
- During Science, we have been making observations and identifying how things can change. If you haven't had a chance, have your child show you the "Mixing Milk" experiment at home... It may surprise you! We also explored how matter can change when adding cold to it. Our liquid matter turned into a solid during our "Ice-Cream Experiment". Yum!!!
- Parent/Teacher conferences are coming up! Conferences will be held on Monday, October 12th. Be on the lookout next week for an email from your child's teacher to schedule your conference time.
- Check your child's planner and green folder each night and sign the planner. The planner lets you know about homework or upcoming events. Please empty the green folder each night as well as your child's backpack. Your child should bring back both the green folder and planner each day to school.
- Your child may bring a healthy snack and a water bottle (pull-up top) to school each day. Please be sure to label your child's backpack, lunch bag, and water bottle as there are many duplicates. If your child does lose an item, however, the Lost and Found is located in the cafeteria.
- A healthy snack list is attached to this email. We will be working during snack time so the snacks need to be nutritious as well as non-messy. Please do not send snacks that require the use of utensils. These items can be saved for your child's lunch. Thank you for your help in this matter.
- We love our volunteers and truly appreciate your help. Mrs. Geiler, our librarian, is looking for volunteers to help our classes in the library. The volunteers check in and check out books for our students. If you can help, please email email@example.com. Our library time is from 8:15-8:45 on the following days: Miss D'Argo Wednesdays; Mrs. Beattie Thursdays; Mrs. Cordell Fridays.
- We are also looking for cafeteria volunteers for the first semester. Our lunch time is 10:55-11:25. These two "helper" times are great ways to observe what your child does at school.
- See the attached link in our email for more information on our "Check Writing Campaign"!
- September 18 - PTA Family Picnic (be watching for more information)
- September 23 - First Day of Autumn
- October 5 - "I Can Do It" Parenting Class (11:00)
- October 6 - Fall Picture Day
- October 12 - No School for Students
- October 12 - Parent/Teacher Conferences