Green & Growing
Franklin County 4-H News - April 2017
Franklin County 4-H Camp Registration Now Open
Date: June 13-17, 2017
More Information: go.osu.edu/camp
Cloverbud Day Camp
Click Here for Registration Information
TEEN LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY - CARTEENS
4-H CARTEENS is a program taught to teens by teens to help reduce the number of second time traffic offenders in Ohio. All participants that you will be teaching have been mandated by the courts to attend. The program is held one Tuesday a month from 6-9 p.m.
We are currently looking for 4-H'ers and other youth who have at least a learner’s permit to present at CARTEENS. Benefits of becoming involved in CARTEENS are:
- You can receive service credits which can be used for graduation
- At least one senior CARTEENS member who graduated and attended nine CARTEENS events in that school year, and has been accepted into an institution of higher education will receive a $250 to $500 scholarship towards the purchase of books, etc. in late fall of 2017.
- Fun! Friends! A chance to brush up on your public speaking skills!
If you are interested contact Sue Hogan at: firstname.lastname@example.org
All 4-H members taking a horse project for the first time this year are REQUIRED to participate in a Horse Safety & Ethics session prior to participating in any 4-H activities with a horse. A parent or legal guardian must attend with the member. The member must also purchase and read the book Horse Safety & You prior to attending.
Two sessions are held. Members may choose which one they want to attend.
April 25, 2017, 6:30pm, Extension Office, 530 W Spring St., Suite 275, Columbus, OH
Horse Project Information
4-H Clubs with Horse Projects
- At least one advisor should be representing your club at 4-H Horse Advisory Committee meetings held at the Franklin County Fairgrounds.
- May 1, 7:00pm
- June 5, 7:00pm
- July 3, 7:00pm
HORSE STALL SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITY
- The Horse Advisory Committee is still raising funds to complete the installation of new stalls at the fairgrounds. This is needed for the safety of the horses!
- Only 6 more stalls are needed.
- Become a sponsor. Purchase a stall for $1,500 and get your name on the stall!
- Other sponsorship levels also available.
- Click here for more information.
Franklin County 4-H Horse Website - www.fchorse.org
JOIN THE FRANKLIN CO. HIPPOLOGY TEAM
WHAT IS HIPPOLOGY?
Hippology is the study of the horse!
WHAT IS THE HIPPOLOGY TEAM?
The Hippology Team is a team of 4 individuals who will compete together and individually in 4 phases at the Ohio State Hippology Contest on June 12, 2017. The primary objective of the Hippology Contest is to provide, in a friendly but competitive setting, an opportunity for youth enrolled in a 4-H horse project to demonstrate the breadth of their knowledge and understanding of equine science and husbandry, and the application of this knowledge and skill.
WHAT ARE THE 4 PHASES OF THE HIPPOLOGY CONTEST?
1. Written Exam – 50 question
2. Stations – 100 questions
3. Team problem
4. Horse Judging
WHO IS ABLE TO PARTICIPATE?
Any 4-H youth, 8 years and up and in 3rd grade, enrolled in a Horse project, including Horseless Horse. There will be up to 2 Junior and 2 Senior teams. You must be able to attend the meetings/study dates and the competition on June 12.
WHEN ARE THE STUDY GROUP/MEETING DATES?
We will meet bi-weekly at 7pm to study and practice together.
April 26, May 3, May 17, May 31, June 7
Competition 8am Union County Fairgrounds in Marysville Ohio
WANT TO JOIN OR HAVE QUESTIONS??
Please contact Amanda Schleppi at 614-806-1266 or email@example.com
Franklin Co. LQA Session - 4/26/17
LIVESTOCK QUALITY ASSURANCE REQUIREMENT
Are you taking any of the following 4-H projects to the Franklin County Fair this year?
- Lactating Dairy Cows
- Market Rabbits
- Market Poultry
- Market Lambs
- Market Goats
- Lactating Dairy Goats
- Market Beef (including beef & dairy feeders)
- Market Swine
If you answered yes to the question above, YOU MUST ATTEND a livestock quality assurance session by June 1. NO EXCEPTIONS. There are numerous opportunities across the state to attend a session.
- Franklin County 4-H will be holding a session on April 26, 6:30pm at the new Extension Office. 530 W Spring St. Suite 275, Columbus, OH 43215
Other approved LQA’s are shared below. You may attend any of these if you are unable to attend the Franklin County session on April 26.
Sewing/Clothing Project Information
Do you have a question about your 4-H clothing project? Not sure what seam finish to use or even what a seam finish is? Wondering what pattern or fabric is the best choice for your sewing project? If you have any questions regarding sewing, please do not hesitate to contact Tammie Strawser at HullsOH@aol.com. She is an Ohio 4-H Master Clothing Educator and judges clothing projects in other counties. She is more than willing to help you with your project and answer your sewing questions.
Help Franklin County 4-H with Amazon Smile
Select Franklin County 4-H Council as your charity now by clicking this link:
STATE 4-H OPPORTUNITIES
Ohio 4-H Sea Camp
For more information visit: http://www.ohio4h.org/camp/sea-camp
Engaging with Insects Day Camp
Engaging with Insects – Summer Day Camp is back! Young entomologists interested in learning about the little creatures that really rule the world are invited for a week of hands-on experiences with experts from OSU’s Triplehorn Insect Collection and the Department of Entomology. The camp runs June 26-30 at the Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center in Columbus. Details at https://insects.osu.edu/engaging-insects-summer-day-camp
4-H Camp Tech
Registration (by May 1) for 4-H Camp Tech is open! Camp Tech is a three-day, overnight camp held at the Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center on the OSU campus in Columbus. Campers participate in a variety of hands-on STEM activities including, robotics, engineering design and coding. 4-H Camp Tech is for all youth entering grades 6, 7 and 8 in fall 2017. Find all the details here: http://www.ohio4h.org/events/camp-tech
Ohio 4-H Shooting Education Camps
Ohio 4-H Junior Shooting Education Camp
Ages 9 - 12
- Hosted by: Canter's Cave 4-H Camp Inc.
- Camp dates are June 30 - July 2, 2017
- Cost for Ohio 4-H Junior Shooting Education Camp is $225.00
- Register by June 1
Ohio 4-H Senior Shooting Education Camp
Ages 12 - 18
- Hosted by: Canter's Cave 4-H Camp Inc.
- Camp dates are: July 23 - 28, 2017
- Cost of Ohio 4-H Shooting Education Camp is $325.00
- Register by June 15
For more information visit http://www.ohio4h.org/families/members/events-opportunties/shooting-sports/4-h-shooting-ed-camp
OSU Extension, Franklin
For an accessible format of this publication, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.