Pleasant View Elementary Flyer
Friday, August 5, 2022
Dear PVE Families
WOW! What a fun and exciting week at PVE! We thoroughly enjoyed inviting all of our families back into the building for our various Meet the Teacher Events, and have had an incredible first TWO DAYS of school! It has been a FANTASTIC WEEK of community building at PVE, and we look forward to deepening those connections in the coming weeks.
Thank you in advance for spending some time reading through our flyer in order to stay informed about all of things going on at Pleasant View Elementary. Here are a few brief highlights to share:
- PVE Arrival and Dismissal - Our arrival and dismissal procedures were refined throughout the week and we will continue to strive to maintain the most safe and efficient process possible. We appreciate your partnership so very much. Please continue to let us know of any concerns or issues we may need to problem solve. Please remember that it is not safe for cars to park across the street from the school and have children walk to and from those vehicles. If you have been engaging in this practice, we kindly ask you to stop. I understand our car line is long, but all car riders must be dropped off and picked up within our car line between doors 14 and 11 under the supervision of our staff. Please reach out if you would like to discuss further.
- PVE Student Dismissal Transportation Form - Thank you to all of the families that completed our building-wide student dismissal transportation form. If you already completed, no need to do it again. However, if you have not taken the time to do so yet, please complete it this weekend. It is vital that we have several checks and balances in place to assist in the safest and most efficient dismissal process each day. CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE FORM
- PVE Spirit Day - The first Wednesday of each month will be a PVE Spirit Day at school. Our first spirit day is this coming Wednesday, 8/10! Please have your child wear a PVE/ZCS spirit wear or green/white to show school/district spirit.
- 1st PTO Meeting - Our PVE PTO will be holding their first PTO meeting of the 22-23 school year this week on Thursday, 8/11/22 from 9:30am-10:30am in the Adventure Center. To attend, please park and enter at Door 14 and have your driver's license for check-in. Please see the section below for all the dates for this school year in the PTO Section.
As always, please feel free to email or call with any questions. We hope you all have a wonderful weekend. We can't wait to see your children on Monday!
Stacy and Jodi
Dr. Stacy Smith - Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17999
Mrs. Jodi Morrow - Assistant Principal of PVE
317-873-2376, extension 17994
First Two Days!
2022-2023 Important Dates
August 8th from 6:00-8:00pm - ZCS Monthly Board Meeting in ESC Boardroom
August 9th - Deadline to complete PVE Student Dismissal Form for front office
August 10th - PVE Spirit Day, wear PVE/ZCS spirit wear or green/white
August 11th from 9:30am - 10:30am - PTO Meeting in PVE Adventure Center (Enter Door 14)
August 17th from 8:00-9:00pm - PVE Dad's Club Meeting at El Toro on Oak StreetAugust 18th - PVE Curriculum Night from 5:00-8:00pm (Enter Door 14)
- 5:00-5:30- Preschool Parents/Guardians
- 5:30-6:00 - Kindergarten Parents/Guardians
- 6:00-6:30 - 1st Grade Parents/Guardians
- 6:30-7:00 - 2nd Grade Parents/Guardians
- 7:00-7:30 - 3rd Grade Parents/Guardians
- 7:30-8:00 - 4th Grade Parents/Guardians
August 15th - September 2nd - NWEA Testing Window (refer to child's teacher for schedule)
August 21st - Deadline to order PVE PTO Back-to-School Spirit Wear
August 26th - 5:00-7:00pm - Eagle Fest at Jennings Field by ZCHS
September 1st from 5:00-6:00pm - PTO meeting in the PVE Media Center (enter Door 14)
Week of September 5th - PTO Spirit Wear orders delivered to school
September 5th - No School due to Labor Day
September 8th and 9th - 4th Grade to Camp Tecumseh (overnight fieldtrip)
September 12th from 6:00-8:00pm - ZCS Monthly Board Meeting in ESC Boardroom
September 13th - Picture Day for 1st-4th Grades
September 14th - Picture Day for PreK & Kindergarten
September 16th - ZCS Homecoming Game
September 19th - September 23rd - Jog-a-thon Spirit Week
September 23rd - Jog-a-thon Fundraiser (rain date 9/28)
September 26th & 27th - 1st Grade Grandparents Day
September 29th from 6:00-7:30pm - PVE STEAM/Wellness Family Night
September 26th - October 4th - 1st Grade Music Visits
October 5th - PVE October Spirit Day
October 7th - End of Quarter 1 & Fall Party/Crazy Dress Day
October 10th -14th - No School due to Fall Break
October 24th - Regular school day w/ Family/student conferences (PM)
October 25th - eDay & Family/Student Conferences
October 27th from 5:00-6:00pm - PTO Meeting in the Media Center
November 2nd - PVE November Spirit Day
November 10th - 3rd Grade World Kindness Day
November 11th - Veterans Day Program
November 23rd -25th - No School due to Thanksgiving Break
December 7th - PVE December Spirit Day
December 9th - 4th Grade Indiana's Birthday
December 20th - End of Quarter 2/Semester 1 & Winter Parties
December 21st -January 2nd - No School due to Winter Break
ZCS 2022-2023 School Calendar (click for the district calendar)
Media Center/Library Volunteers Needed
Are you interested in becoming a volunteer in the PVE Media Center? Volunteers are appreciated both mornings and afternoons, to help with shelving books, assisting students, book repair, displays, and many other behind-the-scenes tasks.
If you are interested and able to volunteer for an hour or two, either once a week or bi-weekly, please contact Michelle Walters, PVE Media Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org by next Friday, August 12. As a reminder, a full background check is required to volunteer. Please see the Safe Visitor Section towards the bottom of the flyer to start this process.
Thank you for helping to make a difference in the lives of our PVE students!
Michell Walters - PVE Media Specialist
PVE Transportation Reminders
PVE Counselors' Corner
Dear PVE Families,
Welcome back! We are excited for the upcoming school year and want your child to be as successful as possible at school. Success in school is not just about reading and math. It is also about knowing how to learn and how to get along with others. We are excited to be using the Second Step program in your child’s classroom to teach these critical skills. Second Step is a research based social emotional learning curriculum. Your student will refer to this time in the classroom as “STRONG STEPS” time.
The Second Step program teaches skills in the following four areas:
1. Skills for Learning: Students gain skills to help themselves learn, including how to focus their attention, listen carefully, use self-talk to stay on task, and be assertive when asking for help with schoolwork.
2. Empathy: Students learn to identify and understand their own and others’ feelings. Students also learn how to take another’s perspective and how to show compassion.
3. Emotion Management: Students learn specific skills for calming down when experiencing strong feelings, such as anxiety or anger.
4. Problem Solving: Students learn a process for solving problems with others in a positive way.
Your child will be learning a lot this year—and he or she will need your help! Throughout the year, we will provide a link in the Counselor Corner section of our weekly school newsletter. Each grade levels’ link will take you to a page called Home Links. Home Links are simple, fun activities for you and your child to complete together. Home Links are also available in the teacher newsletters. They are a great way for you to understand what your child is learning and for your child to show you what he or she knows.
Next week we will start with Lesson One. There is a home link activity for every grade level for Lesson One. The Home Links for the entire year are linked below.
- Kindergarten Home Links
- 1st Grade Home Links
- 2nd Grade Home Links
- 3rd Grade Home Links
- 4th Grade Home Links
If you have any questions about the Second Step program, please do not hesitate to reach out for more information. Thank you for supporting your child in learning the skills that lead to success in school and in life.
Tammy Mazelin PVE K-2 School Counselor email@example.com
Natalie Rieke PVE 2-4 School Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Pleasant View Elementary PTO
Please note that each topic on the PTO Flyer is hyperlinked in order to provide your with more details!
PVE PTO Back-to-School Spirit Wear Sale - Ends 8/21
Orders will close on August 21st, so we can get them into your hands quickly so show your school spirit! Stay tuned for our BIG Spirit Wear Sale coming in October, with delivery in time for the holiday season!
Your PVE PTO
PVE Dads' Club
Join us for our first Dads Club meeting of the school year. Agenda for this meeting will be to welcome new members and plan for upcoming events and activities. We had nearly 30 dads show interest in joining the group by signing up at meet the teacher night earlier this week!
- We will meet at 8:00 PM on Wednesday, August 17th at El Toro in Zionsville (1576 W. Oak Street)
Bring a friend and we hope to see you on Wednesday!
Adam Ritter - PVE Dad's Club President
PVE Health Clinic Reminders
PVE Clinic Procedures
- All medication (prescription and OTC) must be brought in to the PVE clinic (main office) by a parent/guardian. Students are not allowed to have any medication in their backpack, unless authorized in writing by a physician.
- Set a time to meet with our nursing team if your child has severe allergies or a medical condition that may warrant a Health Care Plan. Our nurses will be available at BOTH Meet the Teacher Night Events on August 1st and August 2nd for your convenience.
- As a reminder, when your child is ill, please call the main office and press 2 to leave a message on the attendance line. As always, we ask that children are fever-free for 24 hours without the aid of fever reducing medication prior to returning to school.
- Indiana code (IC 20-34-4-5) states that all children attending public schools in our state shall be immunized according to requirements set forth by the Indiana State Department of Health. Please ensure that the health clinic professional in your child’s school has been supplied with the most up-to-date copy of your child’s immunization records!
- A link to the required immunizations for the 2022-2023 school year can be found here.
PVE Nursing Team: email@example.com (Peggy Carson and Lianne Donald)
PVE Food Service/Café Information
ZCS Food Service News
- Public school lunch cost returns for the 2022-2023 school year, unless students qualify for meal assistance.
- Please click here to read all of the important information regarding school lunch for this year, including costs, nutrition, menus, and how to use SchoolPay for your child's lunch money.
- Please visit the ZCS Food Services Department section on our ZCS website for easy access to SchoolPay, how to apply for meal assistance, and more!
PVE Café News
- Breakfast Offering will begin again after Labor Day. There will be a fee this year, unless a child qualifies for meal assistance.
- Lunch visitors will be welcome to come and eat with their child once again starting Quarter Two of the school year. We will be launching a new sign-up procedure for parents to utilize who wish to come and eat during their child's lunch time - more information to come after school gets underway!
PVE Front Office Reminders
Same Day Changes
- Prior to 1pm – please call the main office and press 1 in order to leave a message that will be received in time to communicate the change.
- After 1pm - please call the main office and press 0 to speak live with one of our administrative assistants.
- Please do not email same day changes to your child’s teacher. They may not have an opportunity to check email prior to dismissal.
Changes at least 24 hours in Advance
- Please send a handwritten note to your child’s teacher instead of an email. There may be times that a substitute teacher has been assigned, that he or she will not have access to the teacher’s email.
- If you choose to email, please ensure you get a reply confirmation that your child's teacher received the change. If you do not, please call the main office.
Illness or Late Arrival
- If your child is ill, you are running late, or your child won’t be coming to school that day for any reason - please call the main office and press 2 to leave a message on the attendance line. If you do not, you will receive phone calls after a certain time so we can ensure your child is safe.
- Please complete the pre-arranged absence form, linked below or located on the Pleasant View Elementary website (under the Parent tab) at least two days in advance, and turn it into the front office.
- Pre-Arranged Student Absence Form
ZCS GROW Child Care Options
The school day hours for 1st-4th grade students are 7:50/8:00 - 2:30 each day, our Kindergarten hours are 8:50/9:00 - 2:30, and our preschool hours vary based on program type, but most are from 8:15-2:45 each day. Due to our hours, some families require before/after care for their children. In addition, some are interested to see what types of extra-curricular programs are offered within ZCS. The GROW division of ZCS is the arm of our district that offers optional fee-based programs and care options for ZCS students and their families. Please see the link below for more details and information on how to sign-up for one of our GROW programs.
- Before and After-School Care (BAC) is available for all PVE students, and the before/after school starts at 6:45am and extends childcare from 2:30 to 6:00pm.
- Kindergarten Bridge and Early Start Spanish are optional, fee based programs that “bridge” the time between the 7:50-8:00 arrival time for 1st-4th grade students, and the start of the instructional day for Kindergarten students, which is 8:50-9:00.
- Access Days Care provides a childcare option for when school is not in session for parents who need care for their children during some of the school breaks during the year.
- Eagle Rec (ERE) offers fee based programs in a variety of interest areas, which typically start after school has already begun around Labor Day.
Visitor and Volunteer Procedures
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to check in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check.. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee for the full background check which will expire after 5 years.
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.