Jones Dolphins Make a SPLASH!
The Week of April 30, 2023
Click on "Translate Newsletter" and select language of choice to translate letter.
*Arriba de esta pagina haga click "Translate Newsletter" y seleccione el idioma "SPANISH"*
*Nhấp vào "dịch Newsletter " và chọn ngôn ngữ của sự lựa chọn để dịch thư "VIETNAMESE"*
*انقر فوق "ترجمة النشرة الإخبارية" وحدد اللغة التي تختارها لترجمة الرسالة. "ARABIC"*
Our Learning Community...
Our Jog-A-Thon was a huge success! It was a perfect morning for running and walking and our students did a phenomenal job! Thank you to all the volunteers and families who came out to cheer us on, your energy made it so much fun! By the time of the event we had hit our fundraising goal with more donations and sponsorships still coming in! Our PTA volunteers went above and beyond in orchestrating an amazing event. THANK YOU PTA!
Next week is Staff Appreciation Week! Everyone at Jones works incredibly hard to provide an exceptional learning experience for our students. Let's lift up our educators and spread some extra love and gratitude their way!
Highlights from the Week...
5th Graders rehearsing for their upcoming Spring Concert
5th Graders visiting Taft Middle School
SDUSD and AT&T are currently working on installing a new internal intercom system that will include two way paging speakers with clocks, bells and emergency notifications.
Students are learning about Bullying and what it means to be an Upstander during weekly Second Step lessons.
Color Run Art Installation by our very own Jones Artists!
Keep an eye out for Mr. Patrick's car in the neighborhood!
All smiles from our Jones Staff at the Jog-A-Thon!
A rainbow of color warming up for the Jog-A-Thon!
Thank you to all of our volunteers who helped make the Jog-A-Thon happen and to all the families who came out to cheer us on!
The Jog-A-Thon was a blast!
SDUSD Student & Family Community Health Fair
Saturday, April 29th, 10:30am-1:30pm
Ballard Parent Center in Old Town
- This Family Community Health Fair event is open to both elementary & secondary students & their families.
- Interpreters for Spanish, Vietnamese, Somali and Tagalog will be available at the event.
- Free to attend. There will be healthy snacks, opportunity drawings and some wonderful resources available.
- See flier attached in both English & Spanish.
SDUSD Family Engagement Workshops
- Bullying: What Families Need to Know - Part 1 Zoom
- May 1st | 5:30pm - 6:30pm
- May 4th | 10:00am - 11:00am
- Being Involved: New Arrival Workshop for Refugee and Immigrant Families
- Bullying: What Families Need to Know - Part 2 Zoom
- May 15th | 5:30pm - 6:30pm
- May 18th | 10:00am - 11:00am
As educators, understanding how our identities and experiences have been shaped by race is vital. We are all awarded certain privileges and or disadvantages because of our race whether or not we are conscious of it.
Why Talking About Race Matters...
- Everyone has a racialized identity.
- Racialized identity has major impact on a person's life.
- Race is a defining social construct in American life.
Below are resources created by the SDUSD Equity & Belonging Department to help families examine the topics of race and racism with children.
Student safety is our priority during drop off and dismissal. In an effort to make sure that every child is safe coming to school and leaving school, we are asking our community to do the following during morning drop off and afternoon pick up times:
Drop off and Pick Up Procedures:
- Drop off your child early starting at 7:35 a.m.
- Park in the neighborhood and walk your child to the entrances
- Drop off curbside, drivers stay in your car
- Drivers must continue to go straight and no U-Turns/3- point turns in the middle of the street
- Students should be dropped off on the school side to avoid crossing the street. For students crossing the street, please use the crosswalk at the corner intersection and not cross in the middle of the road.
The following traffic violations will be cited by San Diego Police:
- Illegal U-Turns
- Using the neighbor’s driveway to make an illegal U-Turn or 3-point turns
- Double Parking
- Parking in loading zones
- Waiting/blocking red zones and driveways
If you are interested in working together to improve the safety of our school, we are looking for adult volunteers to lead a Jones Traffic Patrol. The Jones Traffic Patrol will work closely with Jones Staff to provide a safe way for students to enter and exit school during morning drop off and afternoon pick up. Our San Diego School Police will provide additional training and support so that we can work together as a school community to keep our children safe. If you are interested in being a part of the Traffic Patrol, please email Jenna Greif at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Resources for Families...
1-5 - Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week
2 - VAPA (Visual & Performing Arts): UTK-2nd grade
4 - 4th & 5th Grade Music Performance: 8:00 am in the Auditorium
5 - Spotlight Ceremony - Recognizing Effort
9 - CAASPP Testing Begins (3rd - 5th Grade)
12 - PTA Ice Cream Social
16 - VAPA: UTK-2nd Grade
17 - Student Council's Student Store
19 - PTA Parents Night Out
22-25 - Scholastic Book Fair - Library
26 - No School: Non-Instructional Day
29 - No School: Memorial Day
30 - VAPA: 3rd-5th grade
1 - Spring Showcase of Learning: 5:00 - 6:30 pm
2 - Achievement Awards
7 - Student Council's Student Store
9 - Jones June Jamboree Sponsored by the PTA
12 - UTK Promotion & Kindergarten Promotion
13 - 5th Grade Promotion: 8:00 am in the Auditorium
14 - Last Day of School - Minimum Day
Check out our school website for PeachJar Flyers, Counseling Resources, Family Handbook, Staff Contact Lists, After School Programs, Enrollment Information and so much more!
Jones Elementary PTA
Our Parent Teacher Association works with Jones Elementary to provide programs and support to benefit the students, their families, teachers, school administration and the community. Run entirely by volunteers, the PTA raises money to support our contributions like enrichment programs, program instructors, and classroom supplies.
As always, we need your membership, support and ability to volunteer. You can become a member using Totem, a respected membership management service. Please contact us with other thoughts on how we are doing, and your ideas on how you can become involved. We look forward to hearing from you.