The Gayman Gazette
What's happening in and around Gayman Elementary School?
- January 5th - Home & School Ice Skating Event held at Bucks County Ice Sports - for additional information and details, please click here.
- January 7th - Seussical Jr. auditions held during the school day
- January 17th - Internal Lockdown Drill
- January 18th - Spelling Bee
- January 18th - Spirit Day (Student Council Designated "Country Music Day")
- January 21st - School is closed in observance of Martin Luthar King Jr. Day
- January 24th - Science Fair from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- January 25th - 6th Grade Club Event: Cosmic Bowling @ Happy Tymes Bowling. To sign up please click here.
- January 25th - Spelling Bee snow make-up date
- February 1st - Early Dismissal No PM Kindergarten
- February 1st - End of second marking period
- February 11th - Report cards distributed
- February 12th - Spotlight on the Arts - Grade 2 @ 6:45 PM, Grade 4 @ 8:00 PM
- February 15th - Special Persons' Day
- February 18th - School is closed in observance of Presidents' Day
- February 22nd - Home & School Movie Night from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
- February 27th - Home & School Meeting @ 7:30 PM
SPOTLIGHT ON CHARITIES
We formally kicked off our international fundraising effort to support Poverty Resolutions on December 17th. The money raised this year will once again support the education of the Haitian children.
We are also supporting The Bucks County Housing Group, a private, non-profit social service organization which provides a wide range of housing and related social services to homeless and low-income families of our community. Look for more information about how we will be supporting The Housing Group in February/March.
Philadelphia Reads Program
Special Persons' Day @ Gayman Elementary School
Friday, Feb. 15th, 9am-2:30pm
4440 Point Pleasant Pike
Specific visitation hours have been assigned to each grade level. Information will be sent home with each child. Please click here to view the invitation.
For security reasons it is imperative that we recieve responses by the deadline so that guests can be registered. Guests who have not been registered by the deadline will not be permitted in the building.
Gayman Elementary’s health room has been quite a busy place the last few months. Mrs. Neary and I have become acquainted with many students through the growth/vision screening process, as well as our sick and injured. As of the end of December, I am happy to report that students in Grades 3 through 6 have had their screenings completed. Notices have been sent home for those students who have passed their vision screenings. There are a few students whom I will be doing another evaluation, and may need to recommend a visit to an eye care professional. The mass hearing screening was also done the middle of November, and any student who may have had difficulty that day, was re-assessed one on one with me, in a smaller setting.
Throughout January and February, we will screen the kindergarten through 2nd grade students. We will begin with the second graders, and make our way down to kindergarten. There are a couple of additional tests for the kindergarten students, one of which is the Color Discrimination Test, therefore the screening is more time consuming. If at any time you have questions/concerns regarding the screenings we do here at school, don’t hesitate to call.
School Nurses also have the job of auditing the student’s immunization records. During this month, I will be contacting those families whose children’s health records need updating. If you have taken your child to the doctor recently, and have updates, let us know and we will make the changes. The majority of missing shots for the younger students are the Varicella #2 (Chicken Pox), and Measles, Mumps, Rubella #2 (MMR). Keep in mind that if you choose exemption (medical/religious), there is a form that needs completion, and is kept in the health record. In addition, I received this website at a School Nurses’ conference last summer (http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/spec-grps/hcp/conversations.htm). It provides vaccine information in a clear and concise manner, and also includes downloadable forms.
Finally, thank you to the kindergarten, 3rd and 6th grade families who have submitted their children’s physical/dental exams. We are still in need of a few forms, and will send one final reminder in January, with hope that all students’ will be compliant and can fully participate in all upcoming field trips.
Wishing you a Healthy 2013!
Valerie Workman, RN (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This youth recognition award was created to recognize students in the Central Bucks School District for living by one of the 40 Assets, designated monthly. The 40 Developmental Assets (www.search-institute.org) are positive experiences, behaviors, and personal qualities that all youth need to possess, in order to be responsible, caring, and strong in the face of peer pressures and other life challenges.
January Asset: #9 Service to Others. Young person values service to others, in their family, school, or community. He/she commits to meaningful and caring actions.
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE TEXT ALERTS ON YOUR CELL PHONE!
In addition to the email messenger alerts that you already receive, we are now able to provide text messaging for emergency school closings, delayed openings, early dismissals, and bus transportation issues to your cell phone.
Text messages will only be sent to recipients who have subscribed to receive them. Follow the instructions on the website in order to receive alerts from CBSD, Gayman and Transportation. Please go to:
- Parent Resources (Tab at the top)
- Look for Quick Links
- Choose Text Message Alerts Information under Quick Links - follow the instructions.
Your cell phone must be on file with us.
Parents can review the cell phone we have on file by reviewing their demographic
information on the Parent Portal.
If you need, never received, or have forgotten your Parent Portal Username and Password please go to:
- Parent Resources (Tab at the top)
- Portal Help
- Campus Portal Activation Key – Fill out the Portal Online Request Form
- Submit (You will receive the requested information back by email)