Comparing viruses to cells
Lytic and lysogenic cycles
Characteristics of life
2.How do viruses enter cells? viruses enter the cell through insertion. Insertion can happen in too cycles, the lyctic and the lysogenic cycle. In the lysogenic cycle DNA connects to the actual genome while in the lyric cycle the DNA takes over the nucleus.
3.Explain why the Ebola virus cannot infect a tobacco plant. The Ebola virus cannot infect a tobacco plant becuse viruses are cell specify which means they only infect a certain kind of cell.
4. Name five viruses and the type of cell they infect.
1. HIV- T-cells
2. Ebola- dendritic cells
3. Influenza- epithelial cells ( airway cells)
4. Bacteriophage- bacterial cells
5. Canine parvovirus- lymphocytes in canines.
5. You have been diagnosed with the flu. Explain why the doctor will not prescribe you antibiotics. Antibiotics strengthen viruses by increasing their immunity to the drug and making them more resistant.
6. How is it that a person can be infected by a virus such as HIV but not show symptoms. Since viruses have to replicate in vast amounts to be noticed you can be infected for weeks and not show symptoms since it takes time to produce so many viruses.