Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
November 17, 2019
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
It's Conference Week!Next week, all students in grades TK and K attend school from 8-11:20am and students in grades 1-5 attend from 8:15am-12:30pm (lunch will be served to grades 1-5). Please make plans to pick up your students after school - we will provide supervision until 12:50pm.
We hope you enjoy learning about your child's progress in trimester one during your parent/teacher conference! I saw an interesting analogy online recently that I felt compelled to share: even though popping corn is placed in the same pot with the same heat and oil, it doesn't all pop at the exact same time. In this season of conferences, we share the same goal - we are working diligently so that all of our kernels (kiddos) will pop (learn), but it does take each kernel different amounts of time to do so. Regardless, we are committed to be sure your student thrives this year and makes wonderful progress that makes them, you and us proud!
Parking Reminders...take a minute to read, please!
This time of year, all of us adults are overloaded with things to do and places to be. Please be extra thoughtful when you are dropping off/picking up at school. A couple of important reminders:
- the parking lot is for parking, not for dropping off/picking up, the drop off loop is the spot to drop off/pick up students; we have 10+ Leadership Ambassador students ready to help make that process easier for you and your child every morning
- it's essential that folks use the marked crosswalks to be sure they are safe and visible and to demonstrate good role modeling for children
- we are all busy in the morning - we supervise at 755 and it's significantly less congested from 7:55-8am than it is after 8 am. After school, there is far less congested after 2:50pm
Lost & Found
Over the Thanksgiving break, we will donate any items that have not been claimed.
We work really hard to return all labeled items to students, so take a moment to put a last name on the tag in sharpie!
Happy Families Presentation
This month's topic: Food, Meals & Social-Emotional Development
Jennifer Miller talks about the connection between eating and social-emotional development. She tackles topics including picky eating, sensory sensitivity, avoiding food power struggles, meal time behavior, connecting as a family, eating disorders, and encouraging nutrition. If family mealtime is a struggle, or if you’re worried about your child developing healthy eating habits this presentation is for you!
There are two options to participate: join us in the LCES Tech Room on Thursday, 11/21 from 6-7 pm (child care is offered) OR join us on Friday, 11/22 from 8:30-9:30 am (no child care offered).
For info about this and future sessions:
Boundary Study/2020-2021 Registration Update
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE plan to attend the parent information night on Wednesday, 11/20 at 6 pm in the LCES Multi. Our superintendent (Mr. Scott Leaman) will be there to share information we currently have about the proposed elementary school, boundary changes and how all of this may impact you/your child. He'll also be collecting input as they finalize their decisions and protocols in the coming weeks!
There is a lot of new information coming out about registration/2020-21 school year/boundaries right now. Please share this info with your friends and neighbors who may have children coming into TK/K or who are currently attending school outside of WPUSD by may look to come back to their community school.
The overall goal is to get a good handle on where students will attend school (that happens early in 2020) so that we can tackle staffing (in spring 2020) and open the schools with minimal adjustments in fall 2020.
- ONLINE REGISTRATION for NEW STUDENTS: Students coming into Grades TK-12 will be able to register online through the online WPUSD Parent Portal beginning on Mon., 12/9 ( new date - it was 12/16). We will be taking packets for registration (which include your Parent Portal printout, birth certificate, immunization records and proof of residency) on Mon., 1/13 in the office - I think LCES will take all packets for new students who will attend Lincoln Crossing or Leaman Elementary since there is no office at Leaman, yet. TK Families must register for K online even though you might be attending class in the district currently.
- CURRENT STUDENTS: Students who are currently in grades K-5 at any school in the district will be automatically assigned to their school of residency this spring based on their address (this includes students continuing in elementary and those going to middle school). There may be some options to attend your preferred school (see the IntraDistrict Transfer Requests section below for details).
- WAIT LISTS: We do not anticipate 'wait lists' at any of our schools for any of our grade levels for students who live in within the school's boundary...in the past we had issues with space, and that drove the need for waiting lists. We will not have space issues at any of our schools next year - that means everyone gets into their 'home school!' There will not be any need for a 'camp out!'
- DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION PROGRAM / POTENTIAL LOTTERY: There may be a lottery for students to participate in the district's dual language immersion program. The district plans to start this program with only Kinder students. The site where it will be hosted is TBD. The need for a lottery will be based on interest generated during registration.
- INTRADISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS: There will be two intradistrict (intra) transfer request windows:
- Intra window #1: applies to students who prefer to stay at COES and for current LCES 4th graders who want to stay at LCES for 5th grade. The district plans to approve those intras. These intras will be taken in December/January (date TBA)
- Intra window #2: applies to all other students - including those siblings of current LCES 4th graders who may prefer to stay at LCES or families who just want to attend a different school. As they always have been, these intras will be considered on a space available basis. This process will happen in March/April (date TBA)
- KINDER REGISTRATION: For incoming Kinder registration, there will be a question on the registration form about if you have a preference for AM K, PM K, extended day K (8am-1:40pm) and/or the dual language immersion K program. You will be informed about which program your child is placed in the spring. Students are eligible for Kindergarten if they turn 5 on/before September 1, 2020. FYI - our goal at LCES is to host all extended day K classes in 2020.
- TK REGISTRATION: The district will open TK classrooms for students who turn 5 between September 2-December 31. We also offer TK for students turning 5 after January 1 if there is a need in the community. You can learn more about the TK program in WPUSD here. The locations for TK in 2020-21 are TBD based on enrollment.
- BOUNDARY DECISIONS: Mr. Leaman will take the boundary decision to the school board at their December 3rd meeting (at the City Hall Building on the 3rd floor - 600 6th St.). Here is a color version of the various boundary options that are being considered: http://bit.ly/boundarymapoptions. Once the board packet is posted (a week early), you can find/review it here.
UPCOMING COMMUNITY MEETING
Week of November 18th:
- this week is an EXTRA EARLY RELEASE WEEK - school is out at 12:30 daily; all TK and K attend from 8 am - 11:20 am; students in Gr. 1-5 will have lunch
- Math Tutoring is cancelled this week
- Now-11/22: Lion's Club Non-Perishable Food Drive; bring items to your classroom
- Mon, 11/18, 12:35-1:30 pm: Choir Rehearsal
- Wed., 11/20, 6 pm, MPR: Parent Meeting with Mr. Scott Leaman re. boundaries and 20/21 planning
- Thurs., 11/21, Tech Room, 6-7 pm: Happy Family Presentation (child care provided); Topic is "Food, Meals & Social-Emotional Development"- click here for details
- Fri., 11/22, Tech Room, 8:30-9:30 am: Repeated Happy Family Presentation; Topic is "Food, Meals & Social-Emotional Development" (no child care) - click here for details
- Fri., 11/22: Kindergarten Family Feast (ask your teacher for details!)
- Fri., 11/22: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri., 11/22: Report Card sent home if there was no Parent/Teacher Conference Held
Week of November 25th:
No School - Happy Thanksgiving!
Week of December 2nd:
- Mon., 12/2: Early Release Day
- Mon., 12/2, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Mon., 12/2, 1:45-2:45: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues., 12/3, 8:20 am, MPR: Grade 1 Trimester 1 Awards
- Tues., 12/3, 8:45 am, MPR: Grade 2 Trimester 1 Awards
- Tues., 12/3, 10:15 am, MPR: Grade 3 Trimester 1 Awards
- Wed., 12/4, 2:20 pm, MPR: Grade 4 & Grade 4/5 Trimester 1 Awards
- Thurs., 12/5, 8:20 am, MPR: Grade 5 Trimester 1 Awards
- Tues-Thurs: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1, 2, 4 & 5 (grade 3 starts soon!)
- Wed., 12/4, 5-8pm: PTC Xtreme Craze Lazer Tag
- Fri., 12/6 : Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri, 12/6, 1:55-2:40 pm: Musical Theater Rehearsal
- Sat., 12/7, 6 pm: LCES Choir Participating in the Lincoln Tree Lighting
Week of December 9th:
- Mon., 12/9: Hearing Testing for Grades K, 2 and 5
- Mon., 12/9: Early Release Day
- Mon., 12/9, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Mon., 12/9, 1:45-2:45: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues-Thurs: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1, 2, 4 & 5 (grade 3 starts soon!)
- Tues., 12/10, 2:40-7:30 pm, Library: Pop Up Book Fair
- Tues., 12/10, 5:30 pm - Gr 1 and 2 "Grumps of Ring-a-Ding Town" performance (Cook, Wetzstein, Shelton, Beatty)
- Tues., 12/10, 6:30 pm - Gr 1 and 2 "Grumps of Ring-a-Ding Town" performance (Risucci, Cassidy, Ochoa, Noyes)
- Thurs., 12/12, 2:40-7:30 pm, Library: Pop Up Book Fair
- Thurs., 12/12, 5:30 pm - Gr 3 and Choir winter performance
- Thurs., 12/12, 6:30 pm - Gr 4 and 4/5 combo class winter performance
- Thurs., 12/12, 7:30 pm - Gr 5 winter performance
- Fri., 12/13 : Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri, 12/13, 1:55-2:40 pm: Musical Theater Rehearsal
- Week of 12/16-20 - Early Release Week - 1:40 dismissal all week for Gr. 1-5; AM & PM TK and K are on a Monday schedule all week
- Thurs., 12/19, 6-7:30 pm: Choir Caroling Party
- Mon., 12/23-Fri., 1/3: No School - Winter Break
*click here for our new music (choir, grade level music, musical theater) website!
*click here for our new Leadership Ambassador website!
Upcoming activities include Veteran's Day "We Honor You" celebration on 11/14, and winter performances for grades 1-5 on Tuesday, 12/10 and Thursday, 12/12. Click for exact dates and times! We look forward to celebrating the season with you!
Every Friday is a Colt Pride day! We love it all - new items, vintage Colt Gear, homemade items, Zebra gear, and blue & yellow! Click for our online spirit wear store - open 24/7/365!
Check out this amazing new Leadership Ambassador's webpage - you can find calendar info, Action Team info and information about the LA training curriculum!
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.
Click to view a map and video that explains how we ask families to help us keep kids safe. Note that it is much less congested between between 7:50-8:00 am and again between 2:50-3 pm. Supervision is provided at 7:55 am and until 3 pm (2 on ER Days).
The district has approved and published 2 years of school calendars! Click for details!
Non School Days or Special Release Days
- Week of 11/18-11/22: Extra Early Release Days/Conference Week (12:30 release times)
- Week of 11/25-11/29: Thanksgiving Break / no school
- Week of 12/16: early release days - 1:40 dismissal
- Mon., 12/23-Fri., 1/3: Winter Break / no school
- Mon., 1/20: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day / no school
- Thurs., 2/13-Mon., 2/17: Late Winter Mini Break & President's Day / no school
- Mon, 4/6-Mon., 4/13: Spring Break / no school
- Mon., 5/25: Memorial Day / no school
- Week of June 1st: early release days - 1:40 dismissal
- Fri., 6/5: last day of school!
Every Monday is an Early Release Day!