Mrs. Karch's Grading System
What Can/Cannot Be Redone for More Credit
- Out-of-Class Practice (Homework) - 10%
- In-Class Practice (Entrance Tickets) - 30%
- Summative Assessments (Quizzes and Tests) - 60%
Out of Class Practice (Homework) = 10% of the math grade
2 pts = Homework was complete, including all work shown
1 pt = Homework was partially complete
0 pts = Nothing to show (or only a few problems done)
WHAT IF YOU DON'T GET A 2 THE DAY IT IS DUE?
- Homework can be turned in late with no deduction to the grade.
- If a student gets a "1" or a "0", all they have to do is complete the work and show it to Mrs. Karch. If it is completed satisfactorily, the grade will be changed to a "2".
In Class Practice (Entrance Tickets) = 30% of the math grade
5 pts = All Entrance Tickets are five questions long. Students get a score from 0 - 5, based on how many they got correct. (These are always on blue or green paper.)
WHAT IF YOU DON'T GET A 5 ON THESE?
- Students get these back in class, often the day after taking it.
- If they do score a 5, they are supposed to file it in their binder under Formative Assessments.
- If they do not score a 5, they are supposed to correct all of the ones they got wrong. They should do this using the BACKSIDE of the Entrance Ticket.
- Students correct their mistake on the backside and write a sentence explaining their error. (Directions for this are on that sheet.)
- They turn this into the bin in the front of the room, so I can re-grade it.
- They keep doing this until they have scored 5 out of 5, 100%.
- By the end of the quarter, all of the scores in this part of the grade should be 100%.
Summative Assessments (Quizzes and Tests) = 60% of the math grade
WHAT IF YOU DO POORLY ON A QUIZ OR TEST?
- Students who score below 80% have the opportunity to retake the quiz or test.
- They must complete the "Request to Retest" form. I have these in my classroom or you can find it here. Once they have completed the form, they need to let me know when they would like to retake the quiz or test. This must be done either before or after school, not during classtime and not during lunch.
- The highest score that a student can get on a retake is 80%. (I will always take the better of the two scores if a student happens to do worse on the retake.)
1ST QUARTER DEADLINE: FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2015