Parent Peek at the Week
Week of January 4th, 2021
Happy New Year!
As we head into this new and different week, we look very much forward to connecting with all our Kawartha Heights families. I know you have many questions and concerns - but please know we're here to help navigate through all that is to come AND make it as easy as possible for everyone!
The format for this week's Parent Peek at the Week is a little different - as this week will be a little different. Please read below for the most current information we have to date (as of noon on Saturday). We'll continue to communicate any changes and updates as they become available.
Virtual Learning - January 4th - 8th
As you are aware, before Christmas, the Government informed us of the following:
- All schools are closed to students until January 11, 2020.
- Elementary and secondary school students will participate in remote learning from January 4 to January 8, 2021.
Elementary school students will return to in-person learning on January 11, 2021
So what does this mean?
Beginning January 4, we will provide learning for students to complete at home on these days. This learning will take place in a variety of ways, through previously assigned work or new work, using the classroom teachers’ regular communication platforms including Edsby and Google Classroom, based on students’ age and grade. Teachers will be taking attendance daily.
Learning during this period will involve a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning opportunities for all students. Synchronous learning refers to real-time teaching when the students and teacher are connected live, while asynchronous education involves online posting of resources that can be completed by the student independently.
Please make sure you log on to Edsby on Monday morning. This is where your child(ren)'s teachers will post information for you and next steps for learning. For our Junior students that are already using Google Classroom, please log on there for more information.
Support Staff - Week of January 4th
Our Support Staff Team will be working this week to support classroom teachers and students while learning virtually. The board has referred to their role as "engagement coaches".
Each classroom will be assigned a support staff to work as a team with the classroom teachers. Some of the things they might do include:
- regularly check-in and work with specific students to ensure their program goals are continuing at home
- join in on Google Classroom virtual lessons (where being used)
- following up on classroom lessons as support
- creating materials to support programming
- continuing to gather data on achievement toward alternate goals on the IEP
- other areas as they arise (stay tuned!)
If you feel your child could benefit from connecting with our Support Staff Team, please get in touch with your child's teacher.
These announcements will be posted in Edsby, on Twitter and on our school YouTube account. The YouTube link is:
Since then, we've received the following information clarification from the Board Office:
Due to the fast pace and intensity of programming of the quadmester (and given the extended break for secondary), the ICT department has prioritized secondary students for the deployment of devices. Requests for Chromebooks were also collected from elementary families as part of the google form. ICT will begin reviewing those needs/requests during the first week back to school in the event that elementary schools are out longer than January 11th.
Please know that at this time, there are no Chromebooks available for elementary students. Starting Monday, teachers will be contacting families to determine who does not currently have technology and developing a plan to support learning for the week. In the event we are closed for longer, we anticipate further direction from the board.
If you have not indicated a need for a Chromebook and would like to in the event that the school closure is extended, you can complete the form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScJEpeutmuRT0YxInn8aRX3K7BdT5PhhWZuK3Pc4b6yUHcLDA/viewform
Opting In or Out of Virtual Learning
If you are currently attending the Virtual Elementary School and would like to return to face-to-face learning when we re-open, please get in touch with Mrs. Sampson at any time.
If you are considering moving from face-to-face learning to virtual learning, then the next opportunity to start the process to transfer students will begin on January 13th. More specifically:
- the Opt Out option will be available from January 13-22 at 4 p.m., for families to complete if they wish to transfer their children to the Virtual Elementary School (VES).
- the first day of class for new VES students will be Tuesday, February 2 (February 1 is a PA Day)
- VES teachers will contact families of new VES students beginning January 28th.
- until February 2, students will continue to attend their home school; parents can discuss other learn-at-home options with their home school principal, if they wish, until their children start the VES classes February 2.
If this is of interest to you, please contact Mrs. Sampson at the school.