Whittier Weekly Newsletter
September 18, 2020
Do You Have Information Overload?
I hope that at least some of the routines and rituals of daily life are beginning to find some pattern and predictability for you all. I know that children thrive on predictability in their routines and the stability that it brings. Novelty and variety are also good for the brain, and inspire new thinking. Finding the balance is harder than ever, but certainly something that so many of you seem to be doing an amazing job with! Thank you for continuing to support your child and their teachers in the following ways:
1. Communicating back and forth with questions or suggestions
2. Setting age-appropriate expectations and accountability for engagement and work completion for your child
3. Celebrating what is going well
Below, there are several things that I want to bring to your attention:
1. A Virtual Learning Survey that all families in FCPS are receiving. I know you are probably feeling surveyed out. This one comes from the Board of Education and I do value your input a great deal. Thanks in advance.
2. Performance Series Assessment Information. Teachers have shared information directly with you about accessing student ID numbers and so on. The classroom teacher will lead the way. Please know that virtual administration of assessments is not anyone's idea of a great idea, but we do want to find out what our students can do at this point in time, and there will be other times throughout the year when we will administer assessments again to measure progress.
3. Peer Mentor Special Guest: Please enjoy some life lessons from Montee, 5th Grade Peer Mentor in the video below.
I'll send the Book of the Week Read Aloud on Sunday. Have a wonderful weekend.
Lorcan OhEithir, Principal
Parents/Guardians - Fall 2020 Virtual Learning Feedback Padres/Tutores - Encuesta sobre el aprendizaje virtual de otoño de 2020
This resource provides simple, practical, just-in-time advice and guidance in navigating not just these times, but any times.
Next week is "Start With Hello Week". We are focusing on social connections. Montee, a 5th Grade Peer Mentor, has some sage words to share with us in the video below. Wear Green on Friday to celebrate inclusiveness and belonging for ALL.
Please Join Our PTA! We Need You.
Wow! What a different start to the school year! Your WHES PTA Executive Board is excited to welcome you back to 20-21 school year.
We need your help!
- What ideas do you have to support our students during virtual learning?
- What ideas do you have for activities to support students?
- What do you want from your PTA?
- Let us know by completing the feedback form here: PTA Membership Feedback
Show your support of public education by joining our PTA.
- Click here: WHES PTA Homepage
- Then click on JOIN!
Looking forward to a great year!
Whittier Elementary School - Believe, Achieve, Succeed
We will also communicate through our school website
Follow me on Twitter @fcpsOhEithir where I will communicate school news and happenings