Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - September 2020
UDSD Board of School Directors
Ms. Amy Francek, President; Dr. Darlene Davis, Vice President
Mr. Michael Henderson, Ms. Jennifer Iannitti, Dr. Art Levinowitz,
Mr. Stanley Ropski, Ms. Titia Scherpbier, Mr. Mark Sirota, Mr. Jeffrey Wallack
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
- President's Welcome - Ms. Francek welcomed everyone to the meeting.
- Student Government Association Report - There was no report for this month.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report. Click here to read the full report.
- Return to in-person learning
- Nonpublic busing
- Cardinal Academy
- Classes over capacity
- Surveys to families regarding in-person learning/Cardinal Academy choice
- Staff teaching virtual vs. in-person
- Student mental health
- Special needs students return to in-person learning
Recommended Action Items for Approval
Education Committee Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board approved District funding of PSATs and student activities. The Board also approved purchases of site licenses of Flex Pivot Interactive for UDHS Physics, Chemistry, and AP Biology, Biodigital 3D licenses for Human Anatomy & Physiology, and purchase of one year unlimited access to Edpuzzle for all teachers District-wide, and courses over class size guidelines.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved renewals of contracts with the MCIU Services Contract/Age of Beginners, Foundation Behavioral Health/Lifeworks, and Merakey Montgomery County. The Board also approved a teletherapy licenses agreement with Presence Learning and several Educational Agreements and Placements.
Finance Committee Recommendations (includes Operations and Transportation)
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routine matters such as the review of the Treasurer's Report, the list of bill payments, transfer of funds, and the list of excess, obsolete, and non-repairable equipment, and rejection of bid results for parking lot paving bid.
- Other Matters - The Board approved a proposal from Ameriflex as the District's Flexible Spending/Dependent Care Account administrator and ratification of Lenovo Chromebooks purchase.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, retirements and resignations, leaves of absence, changes of status, mentors, extracurricular changes, and student teachers.
- Other Matters - The Board also approved renewal of contracts for Certified Public Accountant Consulting and Homeschool Coordinator and additional furloughs of staff for reasons of economy.
Policy Committee Recommendations
The Board approved second readings of the following policies:
- Discrimination/Title IX Sexual Harassment Affecting Students (103)
- Trauma-Informed Approach (146)
- Hazing (247)
The Board affirmed first readings of the following policies:
- Bullying/Cyberbullying (249)
- Dating Violence - NEW (256)
- Conduct/Disciplinary Procedures (Employees) 317
- Maintaining Appropriate Boundaries with Students (824)
The Board also affirmed first reading repeal of policies 417 and 517.
Other Business and Reports
- The Board approved resuming in-person instruction for kindergarten and full-time special education students, resuming nonpublic and public transportation, staff recall, and Memorandum of Agreement for staff recall guidance.
- The Board also approved a donation of Apple Mac Mini for the high school Allied Arts Department and the Pennsylvania School Boards Association annual election of officers.
- Liaison Committee Reports - Reports from Montgomery County Intermediate Unit, Montgomery County Legislative Committee, Eastern Center for Arts & Technology, Equity and Empowerment Steering Committee, Educational Advisory Committee, Pennsylvania School Boards Association, Upper Dublin Township, and Upper Dublin Education Foundation.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. Diasio reported that the Board met in Executive session on September 9, 2020, to discuss safety and on September 21, 2020, to discuss personnel and agreements.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
- Return to in-person learning
- COVID-19 metrics from the Montgomery County Department of Health
- Spanish class at the high school
- Zoom and Chromebooks
- Synchronous/asynchronous learning
- Return to indoor sports and PA House Bill 2787