Franklin Academy-Pembroke Pines K-8
2022-2023 School Year
Welcome Back, Franklin Families!
Dear Franklin Families,
It is with great enthusiasm that I welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year at Franklin Academy’s Pembroke Pines K-8 campus! I know that all of you have been eagerly anticipating the start of a new school year and I am thrilled to welcome new and returning families to our beautiful campus on Tuesday, August 11, 2022!
This year we will renew our commitment to excellence in all that we do, as we seek to provide world-class instruction with the expectation that all students can learn and succeed. I am excited about all that this new school year has to offer and look forward to working collectively as a Franklin family to ensure that our students are provided with the best educational experience possible.
To help make your transition back to school a seamless one, please take some time to review the information below. It remains an honor and privilege to serve as your principal. Together, I know we will make this school year one of growth and achievement for all children!
Elena Diaz, M.Ed.
WAY HOME FORMS - REQUIRED PROCESS FOR ALL FAMILIES
Parents are REQUIRED to submit their child's choice of WAY HOME via our Ecollect process in the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Physical forms will NOT be accepted. Prior to completing your child's way home form in the PowerSchool Parent Portal, please remember the following:
- Students who live between 2 and 6 miles from the campus are eligible for bus transportation. You must be registered with the bus transportation provider, A1A Transportation, to be approved as a bus rider and receive a bus pass. Students who do not meet eligibility criteria will not be approved and alternate transportation arrangements for dismissal must be made.
- Only students who live less than 2 miles from the campus are eligible to walk/ride bikes home from school. Students are NOT eligible to walk/ride bikes home from school, without prior approval.
- If you have enrolled your child(ren) with AfterSchool Connections, the registration will be verified prior to the approval of your Way Home form.
You must log into the PowerSchool Parent Portal to check the status of your dismissal request. Please understand that choice of student dismissal must be submitted via the PowerSchool Parent Portal ONLY. The dismissal method is NOT APPROVED until eligibility for the chosen method has been verified by school administration and the status reflects "APPROVED."
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- Enter the campus from the west entrance and proceed around the access road and underneath the Franklin Academy arch to enter the queue lanes; do not enter the bus loop lane (east side). OPEN DASH PASS APP for dimissal.
- Do not park your vehicle and walk in; do not leave your vehicle idling or parked curbside; do not park offsite or in any “No Stopping” or “No Parking” Zones.
- The dashboard placard (provided to you) with your child’s name must be displayed on the passenger side dashboard the entire time your vehicle is on campus.
- Do not use your cellphone while in the car lane; please look for and follow staff’s directions at all times.
- Upon reaching the pick-up / drop-off curb, pull all the way forward to allow additional vehicles to queue behind you; your child(ren) should be looking for you and follow you to your forward stopping point.
- Once child(ren) is/are loaded, carefully pull into the by-pass lane to exit.
CAR LINE ROUTE
All families are required to download and install the DashPass app on their mobile devices if utilizing the carline for dismissal. For new families, a system-generated email will be sent to the registering parent via email with instructions.
DashPass must be opened when the vehicle arrives on campus. A signal will be sent to your child’s classroom where their name will be displayed. At this point, teachers will “release” the student via the pickup queue and instruct them to report directly to the car line. Students cannot be released without DashPass. Please be prepared to show your DashPass app upon arrival at school for dismissal.
Refer to the resources below for additional details and a Quickstart Guide for Parents.
A great deal of time, effort, and thoughtful consideration was devoted to placing students in their respective classes for the upcoming year. The process is a comprehensive and collaborative effort between the instructional faculty and the school leadership team. While our school policy does not allow for individual teacher requests, careful consideration was given to input from faculty and school specialists.
Each class list has been balanced, both academically and socially, and is structured to provide equitable class sizes at each grade level. Moving students is difficult without causing imbalances and inequities and therefore requests for teacher changes will not be considered.
I thank you in advance for being positive with your child and helping him or her understand that it is impossible to place all students with a preferred best friend or teacher. All of our staff members work hard to make school a positive experience for all students. Thank you for understanding that it can take a few weeks for a child to acclimate to a new grade, peer group, and teacher.
For safety reasons, rolling backpacks are NOT permitted at Franklin Academy.
Click on the button to access school supply lists for the 2022-2023 school year.
Franklin Academy participates in the National School Lunch Program and free or reduced pricing will be available for those that meet the guidelines. If you already applied online for Free & Reduced Lunch Meal Benefits and have application status questions, please email email@example.com.
Parents are encouraged to pre-pay for lunches on a weekly or monthly basis. Franklin Academy is a NO CASH school. If paying for school lunch by check, please make it payable to Franklin Academy and include the student’s name, homeroom teacher’s name, and that you are making a lunch payment. Lunch payments cannot be processed in the payment section of our website; however, payment for meals can be made via the PowerSchool Parent Portal or at www.slalunch.com.
HOW TO ADD FUNDS TO LUNCH ACCOUNT: Once you are logged into the PowerSchool Parent Portal, you will find an "arrow" icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Once you've clicked the icon, a new menu will appear. Using this menu, select the "School Payment Portal" link. The School Payment Portal link will take you to the payment processing page. If you have not created an account and linked it to your PowerSchool Parent Portal account, you will need to do so. Once you link your two accounts, clicking this link will automatically transfer your credentials and take you directly into the payment portal without requiring you to log in again.
Dress Code and Uniforms
Immunizations Required for 2022-2023 School Entry
Please review the information shared below to see the required immunizations for your child's school entry to Kindergarten and/or Grade 7/MYP Y2 for the 2022-2023 school year.
Please click on the link provided to find out more about our families' required participation in our Service Hour program.