Effects of the disability
- Not being able to focus (inattentiveness)
- Being extremely active (hyperactivity)
- Not being able to control behavior (impulsivity)
How is it identified?
There is really not a clear explanation for what causes ADHD. A combination of both the person's genes and environmental factors likely play a role in the development of the condition. To determine if you child has ADHD a doctor or health professional are to be involved such as: a checklist of symptoms, answers to questions about past and present problems, or a medical exam to rule out other causes for symptoms.
Strategies that can be used to help educate a student with ADHD
- You are to allow frequent breaks, for the student.
- Provide a squeeze ball or something to tap on for the student that does not make noise to be used as a physical outlet.
- Use visuals, such as charts, videos, props, etc.
- Summarize key points.
- Repeat yourself as much times as possible.
- Give simple and structured instructions.
- Include various activities in a lesson, games are a good way for them to remember information.
- Use reminders such as placing sticky notes on the student's desk.