Craig Hill Parent Update
You may have noticed this week on the Craig Hill's Facebook and Twitter pages an excessive amount of postings with images. That is because the GCSD Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) and Equity team challenged all schools to post pictures of their students and staff engaging in SEL and Equity activities. The schools that had the most post connected to SEL and Equity are the winners. Today, was the last day for the challenge, so we put it all out there, haha. We hope you enjoyed seeing the post and images and seeing what happens here at Craig Hill on the daily. By the way, as of last night, Craig Hill was in first place!
In this edition of the parent update, you will find information on:
- Spring diagnostic/assessments
- Last day of school change
- Craig Hill Parent to Parent Exchange
- Junior Olympics information and request for parent volunteers
- and much more!
Your Proud Principal- Brandin Jones
Mrs. Gerlach's class wins the Golden Tray award this week!
Check out Ms. Zoccali's class doing Yoga!
1 Craig Hill!
The beginning band and orchestra concert was earlier this week and it was amazing!
Spring Diagnostics Is Here!
I am asking that each parent encourage their child to do their best on this assessment. The information we gather from this assessment determines which students need additional reading or math support during the school day. It helps us determine which students need enrichment and re-teaching opportunities during WIN block. The data also helps us with student groupings for the following year. Lastly, students should want to see how much they have grown in a year, this is an opportunity for celebration and self-reflection. Thank you for talking to your child and encouraging them to give this test their best.
Change to the Last Day of School for Students
Craig Hill Parent to Parent Exchange
Parent Volunteers Needed for Junior Olympics
We are currently in the process of planning our annual field day, better known at Craig Hill as the Jr. Olympics. For our Jr. Olympic events we need parent volunteers to help supervise some of the games we play in the morning. Below are the dates and times of this year's event. If you are able to help, please fill out the form attached below and return it to Mr. Hunt, no later than Friday, May 20, 2022.
We are seeking volunteers from 9:00 AM until approximately 11:15 AM.
Fifth Grade Jr. Olympics is, Monday, June 6, 2022
Fourth Grade Jr. Olympics is Tuesday, June 7, 2022
Third Grade Jr. Olympics is Wednesday, June 8, 2022
If there is rain on these dates, we will try our best to have this event on a different day.
Thursday, June 9, 2022 would be used for fourth grade or third grade, as fifth graders are away. Friday, June 10, 2022 would be used for fifth grade if needed.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call our office, or email us at school.
We appreciate your time and support. Kevin.Hunt@greececsd.org
End of the Year Events/Save the Dates
- 5/16-3rd Grade Hazard House (Fire Safety and Prevention)
- 5/18- 5th Grade Hazard House (Fire Safety and Prevention)
- 5/25- Craig Hill Parent to Parent Exchange- Virtual- 6-7pm
- 5/26- 5th Grade Continuing Band Concert- 7pm-Olympia High School
- 5/31- 4th and 5th Grade Choral Performance with Brookside, Pinebrook, Athena Middle and High School- at Athena High School- Time TBD
- 6/4- National Anthem at the Red Wings Game- 7:05pm- Frontier Field
- 6/6- Jr Olympics- 5th Grade
- 6/7-Jr Olympics- 4th Grade
- 6/8- Jr Olympics- 3rd Grade
- 6/9- Craig Hill Band at Seabreeze Music Day- at Seabreeze Amusement Park
- 6/13- 5th Grade Seabreeze Trip
- 6/17- 5th Grade Moving Up Ceremony/Picnic- 11am Ceremony, picnic will follow after
- 6/22- Last day of school for students. This is a half day of school for students
Revised After School Clubs/Programs
This week a lot of after school clubs and events ended. See below for the revised list of after school supports/programs.
- After School Support Program
- Girls on the Run (dismiss at 4:30- not impacted by the above)
- After School Support Program
- Girls on the Run
- Music Explorers Club
School Budget Vote May 17th!
The 2022-23 School Budget Vote and Board of Education Election will take place on Tuesday, May 17 from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. This year, everyone votes at the district’s new Transportation and Support Services facility, located at 1790 Latta Road. Below is some general information about what’s on the ballot. More detailed information can be found on the district website, www.greececsd.org. Please call 966-2010 with questions about voting.
What’s on the Ballot?
The Proposed Budget
The 2022-23 budget proposal totals $265,785,670 and includes an additional $15.6 million in Foundation Aid from New York State. This money will be used to add staff to support student learning and mental health, increase free before and after school activities for students, enhance early learning options, and expand programs aimed at curbing negative behavior.
The proposed budget remains within the tax cap for the 11th consecutive year and keeps the estimated tax rate increase to 1.37%. A Greece resident with a home valued at $160,000 would pay approximately $55 more dollars a year in school taxes if this budget is approved.
Voters will be asked to authorize the purchase of 25 replacement transportation vehicles at cost not to exceed $2,529,986. Of that, $550,000 would come from the district’s Bus Purchase Reserve Fund. Once transportation aid is factored in over the five-year life of the bond, the bus purchases are not expected to have an additional impact on the tax levy or rate.
Voters will be asked to authorize the purchase of 0.48 acres of vacant land adjacent to Longridge Elementary School to improve traffic flow. The purchase price and associated costs would not exceed $20,000 and the purchase would not impact the tax levy.
Board of Education Candidates
Six people are running for the Board of Education. Voters will select three candidates to represent them for three-year unpaid terms. The candidates, in ballot order, are: Megan Ferra, Keith P. Shaw, Michael Valicenti (I), Mark Buonaugurio, Terry Melore (I), and Robert LaPlaca (I).
Bus Transportation for the 22-23 School Year
- Does your student currently ride the bus to school and you do not want them to for next school year? Complete this opt out form: 22-23 Busing Opt-out Form K-12
- The district provides transportation to and from day care providers for eligible students in grades K-8, if you need this support complete this form: 22-23 Day Care Application.pdf
- Need a change in the bus stop? Make a request for a change using this form: Bus Stop Review Request.pdf. Of note, this is a request that will be reviewed by transportation. It is not a guarantee.
- Is your child's doctor or mental health provider suggesting a special accommodation due to physical or mental health needs? This form needs to be completed: Physicians Request for Transportation.pdf
Lastly, this document is simply tips for the bus stop: Tips for Parents.pdf
Free Oil Change for Single Moms, Widows, and Military Wives
Hope Greece is offering free oil change for single moms, widows, and military wives. If interested, register with the link below..
See Below for Family Fun Opportunities!
COVID-19 Exposure Protocols
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook: Craig Hill School (@Craighillschool)
In addition, make sure you check out our school website every once in awhile: greececsd.org/domain/17