Craig Hill Parent Update
We are in this together! Thank you to those who attended Open House/Curriculum Night. It was wonderful seeing our hallways full again with families. We have a lot of work to do to recover from the COVID learning loss, but I am confident that with families and school members working together, we can do this.
In this week's newsletter, you will find information on:
-New Parent Coordinator
-Red Ribbon Week
-Last Chance for Parent Conferences
-Picture Make Up Day
-Sports Clinic Opportunities
-Academic opportunities for home
Have a wonderful weekend and thank you :)
Your Proud Principal,
New Craig Hill Parent Coordinator
Feel free to reach out to Val Jonas at Valorie.Jonas@greececsd.org
Chromebooks Will Start Staying at School
This decision was based in data. Our data shows that when the Chromebooks go home, the majority of students are not using them for instructional reasons. In addition to that, Chromebooks are damaged more frequently when they go home.
Red Ribbon Week 10/25-10/28
For more information on the Red Ribbon Week campaign check out this website: https://www.redribbon.org
Parent Teacher Conferences and No School on Friday, 10/29
This past week we provided two opportunities for Parent Teacher Conferences, if you were unable to attend this past week, you have one more opportunity the week of 10/25.
Please reach out to your child's teachers via email to schedule an appointment. They will offer either virtual or in-person conferences. Most teachers are offering parent conferences the evening of 10/27 from 4-7:30. However, due to scheduling conflicts, some teachers may have an alternative date and time. Again, please communicate with your child's teacher to schedule a conference.
There is no school for students on Friday, 10/29, due to parent conference release day.
Reading With Your Kiddos
Here is a really cool article from "Scholastic News" entitled The Sky’s the Limit. This is a fun article that your child can read to you. Once they are done reading, ask them the following questions to see what they understood from the article:
1. Why does the author refer to Sky as a professional skateboarder?
2. What is the section "Born to Skate" mostly about?
3. What is the purpose of the sidebar "Olympics on Hold"?
Math Resources for Home
- This family visual will help you access Ready information at home. This can help you see your child's progress!
- The link to a parent math bookmark will help you navigate the GCSD website so you can find math resources that your child can do at home.
Free Sports Clinics Being Offered
The below Sports clinic are free to Greece families. Families must register ahead of time. For more information, please go to the Craig Hill Facebook and Twitter page, see the flyers posted with more details.
- Basketball Clinic for students aged 5-16 at the Arcadia Campus tomorrow, October 23rd, 9-10:30. Register at www.greecebasketball.com
- Soccer Clinic for students aged 5-12 at Olympia High School, Sunday, October 24th, 9:30-11am. Register at www.greeceunitedfc.com
- Lacrosse Clinic for students in Kindergarten through 6th grade at Olympia High School on Saturday, November 6th at 9am. Register at www.greecepowerlacrosse.com
Picture Make Up Day
It was great meeting many of you at Open House/Curriculum Night. It was nice seeing our hallways full of students and their families!
The students in Mrs. Ricciuto and Miss. Vogts 4th grade class earned the first ever Golden Tray Award for demonstrating positive behavior in the cafeteria. The class celebrated by taking a class photo with Mr. Kielon, our Assistant Principal, their certificate and the Golden Tray. Congratulations!
When we told you all at Open House that as a staff we were digging into effective, research based practices support your students, we were not kidding! The staff participated in learning around COSTA's Level of Inquiry earlier this week.
GCSD Food Drive
Reminder of Electronic Devices In School Policy
From the districts Code of Conduct:
Personal electronic devices include but not limited to, cell phones, smart watches, music/media players.
- Personal electronic devices can be used before and after school.
- All personal electronic devices must be turned off and stored out sight during the school day.
We ask that parents/guardians remind their students of these expectations.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Facebook: Craig Hill School (@Craighillschool)
In addition, make sure you check out our school website every once in awhile: greececsd.org/domain/17