Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - December 2019
Board of School Directors
Ms. Amy Francek, President; Dr. Darlene Davis, Vice President
Mr. Michael Henderson, Ms. Jennifer Iannitti, Dr. Art Levinowitz, Mr. Stanley Ropski, Ms. Titia Scherpbier, Mr. Mark Sirota, Mr. Jeffrey Wallack
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
President's Welcome & Reports to the Board
- President's Welcome - Ms. Francek welcomed everyone to the meeting.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report. Please click here to read Dr. Yanni's full report.
- proposed new policy Student Civic Engagement
- policy 707 Access to District Facilities
Recommended Action Items for Approval
Education Committee Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board approved student field trips.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved a service agreement and a confidential educational agreement.
Operations Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved a list of excess, obsolete, and non-repairable equipment.
- Approvals - The Board approved change order credits for unused materials with A.N. Lynch Co., Inc. and Walter Brucker & Co., Inc. and a change order with Skepton Construction for removal of unsuitable soils at the SRMS building site.
Finance Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routines matters such as the review of the Treasurer's Report and the list of bill payments.
- Other Matters - The Board approved a software license agreement with PowerSchool for online application and electronic form/file systems.
- The Board also adopted the "Opt-Out" resolution, which will limit any tax increase in the District to the Act 1 Index (2.6%) for the 2020-2021 school year.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, leaves of absence, changes of status, mentors, and extracurricular activities.
- Other Matters - The Board approved a 5 year Affiliation Agreement partnering with Eastern University for Certified School Nurse Practicum experience.
Policy Committee Recommendations
The Board affirmed the following repeat first readings:
- Resource Materials and Instructional Supplies (109)
- Religion in Schools (1XX)
- Student Civic Engagement (1XX)
- Electronic Devices (237)
- Pest Management (716)
- repeal of Celebration of Holidays (231.1) and Instructional Materials (110)
Other Business Recommendations
- The Board accepted a donation for upgrades to the Upper Dublin High School Forum Room from Jill Feldman in recognition of Ronald Feldman.
- The Board approved the Legislative Meetings for calendar year 2020. Click here to review the calendar for the 2020-2021 school year.
- The Board also nominated a member to sit on the Board of Directors of the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit to fill a vacated seat until June 30, 2020 and a representative for the Eastern Center for Arts and Technology Joint Operating Committee.
- Liaison Committee Reports - The Board will restructure the manner in which we present the liaison report.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. Diasio announced an executive session of the Board that preceded the meeting to discuss various matters involving the filling and evaluation of administrative staff. He also updated the Board on the new law that eliminates statutes of limitations with regard to child-abuse and sexual abuse claims. The District will ensure that our policies are consistent with the new law.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
Ms. Scherpbier thanked Dr. Levinowitz for his years of service on the Board as President. Dr. Yanni echoed the Board's thanks to Jill Feldman for her donation to the UDHS Forum Room.