Madison Anderson, Van Chin, Andrew Morris
The story I read was about "The occurrence at owl creek bridge" the story was about a southern civilian who escapes his execution at the hands of union soldiers when the hanging rope breaks and he took off.
The time period for this story was during the civil war from April 12, 1861 - June 2, 1865.
Symbolism, imagery, allegory
Major events of the time 1850-1890
It was during the civil war 1861- 1865
President Abraham Lincoln was elected 1860
Attitude of the nation
Entrepreneurs took over the growth of America
1861- Pierre Michaux invents a bicycle
1857- George Pullman invents the Pullman Sleeping Car for train travel
1850- Joel Houghton invented the first patented dishwasher
1862- Richard Gatling invented machine gun
1866- Alfred Nobel invented dynamite
1873- Joseph Glidden invented barbed wire
Theatre, newspapers and novels
Exactly like the story many slave owners were actually killed like that during the civil war.
- The Open Boat
- Natures indifference to man, mans insignificance to the universe, the boat, the fight aginst nature, society as meaning in a harsh world
- Usa declares war on spain, Theodore Roosevelt elected president
- the usa was feeling good as we were becoming a world power. we finally had stopped rebuilding from the civil war and only looked up as the country grew in the right direction
- headset, bottle cap, ferris wheel,
- The progressive movement, and the us foreign policy
- social tendencies included art and music since they were both big uprisings
- american music really started to grow at fast pace starting in the early 1900s, art movement
- the whole story revolve around the fight against nature and ties into how the US was in the progressive movement where we were only going forward and we were inventing new things, building larger factories and establishing a better economy. the open boat shows how they use these new things that they have learned and progressed into to help them survive the fight with nature.
- The story I read is called "A Soldiers Home" it is about a soldier named krebs and he must tell lies about the war to get people to listen to him. He is unhappy with his life and doesn't want to engage in any politics or love affairs. He returned after everyone else did so he did not get to celebrate coming home. This book relates to this time period because everyone is still unhappy due to the war.
- Literary characteristics
- - symbolism
- - relates to war
- - major events
- 1912-titanic sinks
- 1914-WW1 begins
- 1917-U.S enters WW1
- 1918- day light savings starts
- 1920- woman can vote
- 1920-1st radio broadcast
- Attitude of nation
- During the 1930s, the combination of the Great Depression and the memory of tragic losses in World War I contributed to pushing American public opinion and policy toward isolationism.
- Advancements in time period
- 1920- band aid
- 1921- lie detector
- 1922- 1st 3-D movie
- 1923- frozen food, traffic signal
- 1929- car radio
- 1930- scotch tape
- - political situations
- 1910- Woodrow Wilson advocates the rights of all nations to self determination
- 1920- people were tired of war and trying to reform
- 1930- people needed more jobs
- Social tendencies
- 1910- children's clothes being made, Boy Scouts are being founded, ballroom dancing becoming popular
- 1920- stock market crashes,growing racial conflict, families become friends, woman become more strong
- Pop culture
- movies just started coming out, popular music was jazz, blues, opera, classical, orchestra, theater musicals
- Important info about story-
- Krebs was late coming back from the war due to still being in Germany so he never got to celebrate with the community coming home
- Each of our story had to do with war or had an element of war in it, and we noticed it had elements of man vs. self, man vs. nature, and man vs. man.