The Viking Voice for Families
Week of March 19th
Good evening, Viking Families,
I hope you are enjoying this beautiful Sunday!
We were delighted to see our staff and students engaged in so many activities and meaningful shenanigans for St. Patrick's Day on Friday...what a fun way to end a great week!
In case you didn't know, our teachers have been going above and beyond to #MakeLearningFun, which we find to be so inspiring! I hope you are following us on Facebook and ClassDojo so you can see all the AMAZING things our staff and students do each day!
Specifically, we see teachers making time to have fun with students in meaningful ways, whether they are trying out a room transformation, reimagining small group instruction, incorporating project based learning, providing enrichment activities to extend understanding, redesigning a CKLA or Math lesson to up the engagement, and so much more!
We'd also like to give a HUGE SHOUT OUT to all the families and community members that have donated items to our PBIS Store! Thank you so much...the items are awesome!
Just FYI, here are a few dates to note:
- Thursday, March 30th - We are going to cancel the movie night for the time being.
- Friday, March 31st - This is a teacher workday, so there is no school for students.
We are LUCKY to have such a great school community and we're excited that you and your family are a part of it!
In this newsletter, you will find the following:
- Info About A FREE Stress Management Webinar for Parents
- PBIS Store Donations Link
- Yearbook Link for Orders (See the image below the PTO section!)
- Spring Fest Flyer (Sign up here to be a vendor!)
- Important Dates & Information
- Ongoing Links & Info (Including homework help!)
- March Menu
- Colfax History
We hope you have a wonderful week!
- We need YOU to assist with replenishing our PBIS Store!
- The PBIS store is a school wide program that teaches students expected behavior in order to impact the overall school environment.
- When displaying positive behavior students are rewarded with shields, which they can spend in the PBIS store.
- If you are interested in donating items to the PBIS store, please review the sign up genius slots and click on the button to sign up.
- Please drop off all items to the office labeled, "For PBIS," by 1:00 pm April 21st.
- Items can be purchased on Amazon, Oriental Trading, at Party City or at any store.
- Please feel free to donate items that are not on the list, however, please do not donate candy, toy weapons or used items.
- All items must be new and no item is too big or too small. Thank you! Please click the link below to sign-up.
- The next PBIS Store will be open April 24, 2023. Please stay tuned for a sign-up genius to volunteer to work the store that day.
Yearbooks are on sale now!
Order today through March 1st for only $20. (March 2nd through April 1st the cost is $25!
Check out the image below for more information!
Yearbooks will delivered to the school at the end of the year and distributed to your student.
Don’t forget to get your child’s birthday sign!
- $20 on the Colfax Elementary PTO website!
- Your order must be submitted by the 20th of the prior month you would like your child's birthday displayed.
If you haven’t already done so please join the Colfax Elementary PTO Facebook page and Instagram page @ColfaxElemPTO. Daily updates are posted there as well as links and other useful information. If you have any questions please contact us.
Click here to access the GCS Traditional Academic Calendar.
- Tuesday, March 21 - 4th grade Math Interim Assessment
- Tuesday, March 28 - 3rd grade Reading Interim Assessment
- Friday, March 31 - Optional Teacher Workday
- Tuesday, April 4 - 4th grade Reading Interim Assessment
- Wednesday, April 5 - 5th grade Reading Interim Assessment
- Friday, April 7 - Holiday
- Monday, April 10 - Vacation Day
- Tuesday, April 11 - Vacation Day
- Wednesday, April 12 - Vacation Day
- Thursday, April 13 - Optional Workday
- Friday, April 14 - Optional Workday
- Monday, April 23 - Dairi-O Colfax Viking Night
- Saturday, April 29 - Spring Fest 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Friday, May 5 - Field Day
- Tuesday, May 9 - 5th grade Math Interim Assessment
- Friday, May 12 - Field Day (Rain Date)
Ongoing Links & Information
- Remember, that any adult who plans to volunteer for any period of time or who plans to chaperone a field trip must be an approved volunteer.
- This form must be completed each school year, so even if you did it a few months ago, please go ahead and do it again.
- You can apply for the required background check by visiting: https://www.gcsvolunteers.com/.
Need an extra support for when you are trying to assist your student with homework?
- For Eureka Math, you can visit https://greatminds.org/math/parents and create a parent account to access a suite of resources, including videos, to help you support your child!
The Guilford Parent Academy provides FREE ONLINE Resources:
- Guilford Parent Academy gives you access to our free online resources, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Help your children practice reading, work on math skills, read eBooks, begin conversations about emotional topics and more!
There's even resources for parents! Parents can access GED prep, U.S. citizenship test prep, Microsoft Office support and career resources, including popular job search links. Parents can also get live, online interview practice from trained job coaches, and receive resume and cover letter assistance from trained resume experts.
Breakfast & Lunch:
Click here to view the December Breakfast & Lunch Menu!
- Breakfast Prices for 2022-2023 School Year- $1.00
- Lunch Prices for 2022-2023 School Year- $2.85
- To prepay for breakfast, lunch, or A la Carte Items for your child, please use the K-12 Payment Center.
- Online School Payments for K-12 | K12 PaymentCenter
Free & Reduced Lunch Applications
- The application window for free or reduced school meals is now open.
- The federal program that provided free meals for students for the past two years is over. Families will now have to apply for free school meals.
- Filling out an application is easy and can be found on our website or at www.lunchapplication.com
Please call school nutrition services at (336) 370-3266 if you have any questions.
- You can read some information about it on our school website or if you have time you can dig deeper into the history at this site!
Location: 9112 W Market St, Colfax, NC 27235, USA
Phone: (336) 992-6060