Messages from Memorial
Memorial Elementary School Newsletter - August 2019
WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL
Save the Date (s):
22 Office re-opens (7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
23 - 30 Student Registration
31 New Student Registration
6 Kindergarten ONLY Open House 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.*
8 OPEN HOUSE for Memorial Students 3-5 p.m. in grades 1-5**
12 First Day of School for Students
29 Back to School Night 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
* The Kindergarten Open House will be a time for your child to tour the school and classroom, meet his/her teacher and other school personnel, experience a snack in the cafe, and have an opportunity to tour a school bus. We will start at 10 a.m. in the Memorial Cafeteria.
**The gr. 1-5 Open House will give you an opportunity to meet your child's teacher and to bring in school supplies. There is no formal agenda for that time. Back to School Night on August 29 is provided so you may learn more about your child's class, teacher and school year.
Meet Eleanor Behr
Frequent Q & As
- Where can I find out about the Memorial School Procedures? Parents may refer to the Memorial Parent Procedure Handbook, the link is found on the Memorial webpage.
- Where can I find the school supply list? follow this link: School Supply List
- My child's supply list includes an Assignment Notebook and a Nicky Folder, where can I purchase those? Assignment Notebooks ($5) and Nicky folders ($1) will be paid for by the PTO and handed out to students on the first day of school.
- Where can I find the school calendar? follow this link: 2019-2020 School Calendar
- When can I find out my child's teacher? All class lists will be set after registration and before August 7. You may check back on Skyward on August 7 to find out your child's teacher.
- How do I put money in my child's lunch accout? You may send a check to school made out to Valparaiso School Lunch or pay through your Skyward account. If possible, please do not send cash as it is easy to misplace.
- How can I find out bus information? You may find your child's bus number and bus stop through Skyward. Please be patient as these will not be complete until after registration. If you have any questions, you may call the transportation department at 531-3120.
- What are the drop off/pick up procedures? (See below for detailed information.)
- Do I need to complete a Criminal Background Check again this year? Yes, all visitors and volunteers must have a new approved background check on file each year. (see below for more information.)
- How do I change my child's dismissal? All dismissal changes must go through the office by 10 a.m. each day. Since the teachers are busy teaching throughout the day, any emails to them may be missed. The preferred method is an email to Mrs. Remijan, the Memorial Secretary. It is fine if you would like to email the teacher and Mrs. Remijan, as more communication is better.
- How do I volunteer to work in my child's classroom? Teachers will explain volunteer opportunities for their classroom at Back to School Night. There will also be sign ups for holiday parties at Back to School Night. Please note, there will be a limit of 5 parents for each classroom for each holiday party.
- How can I get involved with PTO? Please contact Mrs. Krieg-Lewis, the PTO President (see below) and/or come to the first PTO Meeting, September 11 @ 3:30 p.m.
General Arrival Procedures
Walkers should cross the street with the crossing guard.
All student drop offs should be done along the curb on Milton Street. Cars should line up moving south along the curb next to the school and students should exit the car next to the curb. Students arriving late, after the 8:45 bell, must be escorted into the office and signed in by an adult.
General Dismissal Procedures
All students who are car riders should leave the building out the east door (Door C) and wait along the curb on Milton Street. The students should enter the car along the curb as directed by the staff.
Students who are walkers should proceed out the front door and follow the sidewalks along Park and Milton. If you are generally a walker, but plan to drive during the cold winter months, please send in a note and your child can become a car rider.
If you park on Park Avenue to pick up your child who is a walker, please be mindful of the cars that travel down Center Street and leave plenty of room for them to pass through.
Thank you for your assistance in keeping dismissal safe!
Background Checks & Identification
All visitors are also required to bring a valid Indiana Driver's License or State I.D. card with them for each visit. It will be scanned in the office and run throught the Safe Visitor Software. The Safe Visitor Software will run each visitor through the National Sex Offender's database. It will be also used to generate the visitor's badge. This is in addition to the Criminal Background Check already completed. Failure to bring in your ID will limit your access to the building.
Kidstop at Memorial
You can find the Memorial PTO News at: http://www.memorialelementarypto.com/.
If you are interested in chairing a PTO committee, please conact Mrs. Krieg-Lewis via email, mailto:email@example.com
2018-19 PTO officers:
President - Debra Krieg-Lewis
VP~ open position
Secretary~ Rae Smedley
Our Mission at Memorial Elementary
Memorial Elementary Mission Statement -
At Memorial Elementary School we will provide a nurturing environment to promote the individual growth of the whole child while developing lifelong learners and community leaders.
We envision a school where:
High expectations are maintained for staff and students.
Students are empowered to safely learn from their own mistakes.
Staff and parents collaborate to foster a home-school connection.
Staff models passionate life-long learning and strong character.
Students are inspired to persevere and achieve personal success.