McKinney Boyd Band Newsletter
May 3rd- May 7th
Newsletter Top 10 (As of 5/1) Please, read carefully and scroll through to the bottom for the finer details
1. Spring Concert is on May 11th. View the itinerary HERE(CLICK)
2. May 17th-18th Mini marching camp is coming up. This is a required event for everyone in band for 2021-2022. We will have an incoming parent meeting, full band performance and a "tail gate" style social on the 18th. Read below for more details.
3. PHYSICALS are now able to be accepted for 2021-2022. Must have a physical on file for May 17/18th mini marching camp/summer camps before students can participate. This applies to EVERY student EVERY year. Copies of blank blue forms have been distributed to MS campuses for upcoming Boyd members and are also available in the Boyd BH.
**If you are also in athletics make sure to tell your coach or Trainer Hutto to send a copy our way for our own files.
4. Just in time for Mother's day, Boyd band Fundraiser collaboration with Kendra Scott!! View flyer HERE(CLICK)
5. Boyd Band instrument returns READ INFO HERE
6. Uniform fitting link (All returning members for next year) Please fill out this link CLICK HERE to help organize the next step in fittings for next year.
7. We still have spots and are accepting student participants to register for our 2022 Hawaii Trip. CHAPERONES HAVE BEEN SELECTED AND NO MORE ADULTS SHOULD NOT REGISTER AT THIS POINT.
8. Big Band Night is on May 13th. READ INFO HERE and don't miss out on this awesome tradition.
9. Volunteers needed!!!, see box below for opportunities to help the program!
10. Calling to all Booster Parents, Booster Nominations/slating happening now: Please consider serving on our Booster board or a Liaison position. Open positions and explanation of duties down below. Incoming Freshmen parents are welcome and encouraged to this as well.
We will have a short booster meeting during our spring Concert. This meeting is required by our bylaws and for us to give notice at least 2 weeks in advance
11. Percussion corner info/updates in box below.
11. Important dates flyer from now until next fall, VIEW HERE (ESPECIALLY USEFUL FOR INCOMING 8TH GRADERS)
12. Sectional schedule/ April 12th rehearsal schedules for the next few weeks updated below.
13. Avram Astu Foundation registration. A collaboration of scholarship, mentor ship and educational development. (Not Required but an exceptional opportunity) More info below.
14. View, Order & Share your band photos, Link and more info below for Smugmug!!
May 17th-18th Mini Marching Camp Details
THIS IS A REQUIRED EVENT FOR ALL STUDENTS (current 8th grade-11th grade) IN BAND 2021-2022!
We are excited to have our incoming 9th graders join us from across the district as we meet for the first time as a full band on May 17th-18th.
***Remember that every student must have submitted/have on file a completed physical with us before you can participate.
We use this time to teach the basic foundation of marching, distribute marching music and most importantly to socialize and bond as a team.
Please plan on purchasing/bringing a few things ahead of time so you can be prepared on these days:
- Insulated Water Bottle or Pack
- Warm weather clothing (Athletic style shoes, Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, light colored t-shirt, shorts)
- Athletic style Tennis shoes: (not vans, flipflops, boots, flats)
- FLIP FOLDER/ LYRE/EXTRA PAGES to hold your music (Can purchase from a music store like Music first, Brook Mays, Music and Arts)
- Athletic Style Tennis shoes: other than water, the most important item you need.
We will have a student only social on May 17th starting on 7:00PM.
We will have a Boyd Band Family "tailgate style" Social (Everyone is invited) on May 18th after the incoming parent meeting/full band performance.
Physicals for 2021-2022 ***Incoming 8th graders included in this message***
PHYSICALS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED!!! MUST BE DATED APRIL 1ST OR AFTERWARD...
All students in marching band must complete this process before they are allowed to participate EVERY YEAR!!!
IT IS BEST PRACTICE TO GET THIS DONE AND ON FILE WITH US BEFORE THE MAY 17/18TH MINI CAMPS.
It must be completed on the official MISD form, electronic version ATTACHED HERE (CLICK), printed forms are available in the band hall and can be picked up at any time
***IF YOU ARE ALSO IN ATHLETICS AND COMPLETED IT FOR ANOTHER SPORT OTHER THAN MARCHING BAND, MAKE SURE TO GET YOUR COACH OR TRAINER HUTTO TO SEND US A COPY FOR THE BAND.
Hawaii Trip Info/ Document corner....
WE ARE STILL CONTINUING TO REGISTER AND FILL UP SPOTS FOR PARTICIPATING STUDENTS UNTIL ALL SPOTS ARE FULL
We sincerely hope that you will join us for our Spring Trip to Hawaii next year May 25-29th!
ADULTS SHOULD NOT REGISTER FROM THIS POINT FORWARD
CHAPERONES HAVE BEEN SELECTED AND REACHED OUT TO WITH A FORMAL INVITATION!
Students will share quad rooms and the chaperones fee's are based on duo room.
View our Hawaii Info/Document folder:
PLEASE READ THE LETTER IN THE LINK FIRST
I HAVE ALSO ATTACHED THE ZOOM MEETING VIDEO IN CASE YOU MISSED IT BUT ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING!!
Volunteers needed + Booster board vacancies, help serve the Band for 2021!!
Bronco Band Families,
We need volunteers! We have several opportunities to volunteer and help out our awesome band. Please consider signing up for one of these opportunities to help us finish off the school year strong!
Selling Jazz Band Concert Tickets during school lunches at Boyd Cafeteria 05/10-05/13 10:15AM-12:45PM. (Need 2 volunteers per day)
Decorate for Banquet Needed before banquet 05/15 Time TBD ( Need 4-5 volunteers)
Put up concert uniform dry cleaning 05/17 04:15PM-7:00PM (Need 4 volunteers)
Registration Uniform Fittings 05/22 9:00AM-11:00AM (Need 6 volunteers)
Registration General purpose 05/22 9:00AM-11:00AM
(Need 6 volunteers)
SAVE THE DATE! Formal Uniform Fittings 07/21-07/23 TIME TBD Will need 12 volunteers per time slot.
Please consider helping out our band and finishing off this school year!
Any questions, please reach out to me directly!
Erica Ray, VP-Volunteers
McKinney Boyd High School Band Boosters
Hello Band Family,
It is time to elect the band board for the 2021-2022 school year. We currently have several positions that are going to be vacant next year. Vacancies include:
President (Must be held by previous board member)
Flutes, French Horns, Low Reeds, and Trumpet Liaisons
The form to show your interest is Board and Liaison Interest Form
Job descriptions can be viewed here: Booster and Liaison Job Description Folder
Deadline to send interest forms is 4/23.
Any questions please send Erica Ray an email at email@example.com
Erica Ray, VP-Volunteers
McKinney Boyd High School Band Boosters
PERCUSSION SOLO CONTEST (SATURDAY MAY 15th) – We have finalized the date for the percussion solo contest. This involves all HS and MS students. Each student will have a 10-15 minute time slot to get to play for and work with a judge.Families and friends of students are invited to come watch the solos they have been working on all semester! If a student has a particular need to go earlier or later in the day, simply contact me and I’ll work to move their time to one that fits their schedule that day.
Reminder that the percussion concert is Thursday, April 15th. All HS percussion students should plan to block out both April 14th and 15th after school completely. There will be a few rehearsals April 12th (asynchronous day) and 13th, which will be listed on the concert week schedule. Be on the lookout for that within the next week!
The students are really excited to share these pieces with you. Their hard work is starting to pay off, and the energy around the studio is really something to behold.
ONE FINAL NOTE ABOUT DRUMLINE AUDITIONS – Starting the week after the ensemble concert, our drumline audition process begins immediately. The drumline audition letter and material has been available for two weeks via the band newsletter and the audition canvas page, but I thought I would attach it HERE (CLICK) as well . It includes dates for audition help sessions, as well as important summer dates.
Thanks for all that you do for your kids. I consider it a privilege to work with this group, and I think they have an incredibly bright future ahead of them if they continue to work as they have so far.
Sectionals for the next few weeks....
Always reference the google calendar, but here is a glance of the next few weeks sectional schedule by band.
No before or after school sectional for the rest of the year
SYM 2:Full Band w/ Percussion- Monday 5/10: 3:00-4:00pm
No After School Rehearsals
Full Band Rehearsal-Thursday May 6th: 3:00-4:30pm
Big Band Night Dress Rehearsal- Wednesday May 12th: 3:00-5:00pm
Avram-Astu Foundation and Boyd Band Collaboration!
The Avram Astu Foundation was created 2 years ago as a remembrance and vision of Rajiv Suresh who was an Alumni of the Boyd band.
It is intended and inspired to be a holistic network to impact student growth and achievement.
We intend to use this network next year as tutoring/academic network to facilitate for our program.
Please Register at www.avamastu.org
Benefits of registering
- Earn volunteer hours: they can earn those by participating in the discussion, asking questions and replying to others’ questions and comments.
- Earn volunteer hours by spending time helping their friends and family register on the site; whether in Boyd or people over 18 years in colleges that they are aware of. For college students registering as mentors, they can also earn volunteer credits that will be useful for their graduate study applications.
- We will have a volunteer hour reporting form available in the next couple of months, which they will fill out and submit to us so that we can issue a certificate of volunteering.
We are asking anyone interested to register as non-scholarship students.
Benefits of registering will be the same as for the scholarship students.
- Basically, if they spend hours helping others in the tutoring sessions on various subjects, they can utilize the website discussion forums to post the questions and answer them. This will formalize the help that they are providing, and this way they can earn volunteer credits (for something that they already do). Formalizing it, will also help students realize their strengths and help them write essays for college applications and scholarships.
Spring Semester Calendar Updates/Adjustments
Band Banquet (Updated)
We are looking forward to hosting band banquet this year on Saturday May 15th.
Due to restrictions for hotels we have come up with a potential alternative that can safely include all band members/families.
We will host banquet on Boyd campus, IN THE AUDITORIUM @ 5:00pm. With the exception of dinner/dancing, we will be able to celebrate the year, distribute awards and present our end of year videos like "normal" while maintaining distance protocol.
More info to come soon, but we are excited for this opportunity.
Stay updated each Newsletter for more updates....
Seniors only! Scholar Artist's of the Week up for grabs!
1. Edit this file in the original Microsoft word format.
2. Turn it in with a High Resolution .jpg photo of yourself to Mr. Treadwell
Encourage you to brag about yourself a bit on the application. Probably good to keep it during your HS years and fairly Fine Arts related. Although if you are next in line to overthrow Joey Chestnut in the Nathan’s Hotdog Eating Competition, that may be something exciting to hear about. ;)
Volunteer work, Church Mission trips, after school jobs, plans after high school are always encouraged to include.
Remind 101 UPDATE/ARCHIVE: Resign up for new group ASAP
Remind is the quickest and easiest way for us to send information out. ***We require all students to join and strongly encourage parents to do also in order to stay informed.
Text the following code to the #81010 :
9th grade student: @boydband9
10th grade student: @boydband10
11th grade student: @boydband11
12th grade student: @boydband12
9th grade parent: @mbbandfm9
10th grade parent: @mbbandfm10
11th grade parent: @mbbandfm11
12th grade parent: @mbbandfm12
Incoming parent/student (current 8th grader): @mbhs8to9
Calendar for the Week
Monday (5/3)- WW/GUARD Leadership Auditions 3:00-5:30PM, Boyd Senior Award Ceremony 6:00-7:00PM
Tuesday (5/4)- BRASS/PERCUSSION Leadership Auditions 3:00-5:30PM
Wednesday (5/5)- DRUM MAJOR AUDITIONS 3:00-6:30PM
Thursday (5/6) - Full Jazz Band Rehearsal 3:00-4:30PM
Friday (5/7)- No after school activities planned