Keeping you connected with Silver City ES!
Well the first semester only has 7 days left and we have lots going on prior to the winter break. So far, our re-opening has gone really well. We have welcomed in many visitors for lunch since Thanksgiving break and we have also had lots of mystery readers and classroom visitors.
Please remember that every single visitor that comes to the classrooms or supports in the media center or other areas, must watch the Mandated Reporter video and sign-off on the confidentiality agreement. In addition, all visitors into the building must have a valid picture ID that can be scanned into our sign-in system at the front desk. One detail I failed to mention at the beginning of lunchroom visitors beginning again was that, even though student meals are free, all adults must pay for their lunch if they get a meal in the cafe (the cost is $3.85).
A quick reminder from our nurse:
Please do not send children to school if they have fever, diarrhea or vomiting. We have had a number of students recently saying they either vomited or had diarrhea in the morning, before school, but they came to school anyway. This is not our protocol, as a District. A child must be free from fever, diarrhea, and vomiting for 24 hours (without medication) BEFORE they can return to school. Thank you for understanding!
We hope you enjoy this edition of the Comet Connection as we share the following information with you:
- Mr. Sloop's Holiday Spin
- Substitute Teacher Opportunities at Silver City
- Holiday Help at Silver City
- Book Fair Success!
- Information for Car Riders
- Shining Star Presentations
- Fundraising for Pre-K Playground
- PTA Newsletter
- Partners in Education 2021-2022
- Upcoming Dates
- Community Events and Resources
Mr. Sloop's Holiday Spin
Once again, we are hosting Mr. Sloop's Holiday Spin prior to the winter break. We received lots of donations for the small prizes that students can win from the spin, but we still need a number of "large" prizes from which students can choose. These are typically $5 gifts from Five Below or other places (balls, headphones, games, lava lamps, other toys) that elementary students would enjoy. If you would be willing to pick up 1 or 2 large gifts like these for the Spin this Thursday, please drop them off at the front office by Tuesday or Wednesday of this week and put "Holiday Spin donation" on them.
Thanks for any donations you provide!
Substitute Teacher Opportunities at Silver City
We would love to have you sub in our building!
Holiday Help at Silver City
If you have been in morning car rider the past few weeks, you have noticed the NFHS ROTC members collecting new, unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots. To date, we have collected nearly 100 toys. This is our final week of collecting toys, so bring them in by this Friday so we can get them into the hands of children in our area that will LOVE them! Happy Holidays!
Items for Silver City Families
To specifically support families in our community, we are collecting the following items:
- New, unworn tennis shoes for students - mainly looking for girls and boys shoes in sizes 11 - 5. We are specifically looking for tennis shoes - not glittery ballet flats or boots.
- Personal care/household items for our Christmas "store" - laundry detergent, dryer sheets, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion (for male and female)
- Gift cards to Kroger, Walmart, Publix, Target, RaceTrac, QT, Lyft & Uber - any are welcome, but $25 ones help us distribute them more easily.
Drop off any items to Ms. Meredith in the front office and thank you for supporting our Silver City families!!
Book Fair Success!
We had record sales throughout the week and had a very hard time keeping many selections on the shelves! Thank you all so much for your support of this event that will directly impact our school library! We look forward to hosting another Fair in the Spring. Please look for this information in the months to come and continue to encourage and enjoy the love of reading with your families!
Information for Car Riders
- Please remember that morning car rider runs from 7:45-8:20am. If you pull into the parking lot after 8:15am, there is a high likelihood your child will be late. If your child arrives at 8:20 a.m. or after (once the tardy bell has rung), you must park and walk your child into the front office to sign your child in as tardy.
Please consider having your child ride the bus to alleviate the long morning car rider line. It is a great alternative and your child will never be marked tardy when they ride the bus!
- Please help ensure the efficiency of morning car rider line by making sure your child is ready to exit when they pull up to the sidewalk.
- Students may not be dropped off before 7:45am to the cafe unless they are registered morning users of Comet Kingdom or they are one of our Safety Ambassadors. Parents of any other students dropped off early will be charged a drop-off fee for Comet Kingdom.
Afternoon Car Rider
- In the afternoon, please make sure you don’t block the neighbors driveway entrance on the hill...they still need to be able to get into and out of their driveway in the afternoons.
- Please fill out the Daily Transportation Form by 1:00pm if you need to change transportation. If you need to make a permanent change, please send a signed note into your child's teacher.
All of this information can be found in our 2021-2022 Student Handbook.
Shining Star Presentations
K-2 November Shining Stars
Click here to see our K-2 Shining Stars from November.
3-5 November Shining Stars
Click here to see our 3-5 Shining Stars from November.
Fundraising for Pre-K Playground
Cost: $5 (exact change only please)
More details will be coming from your homeroom teacher.
All proceeds raised will directly support our pre-k playground. Thank you in advance for your help!
2021-22 Silver City “Partners In Education”
We would like to thank our amazing 2021-2022 Partners in Education for their incredible support:
- Ascent Church
- Chestatee Growers, Inc.
- Erika Wallace - State Farm Insurance Agent
- Kinsey Family Farm
- Lowe's - Cumming
- The DOJO - North Forsyth/Dawson
- The Chantal and Tommy Bagwell Foundation Fund
We are still looking for more Partners to help us with the following projects this year:
- Building a PreK playground
- Enhancing our current K-2 and 3-5 playgrounds
- Buying new books for our media center
- Offering more teaching tools for math
- Purchasing a book vending machine for students
- Hosting staff luncheons and celebrations
- Monday, December 13 - Winter Wonderland Learning Celebration (for all K-2 students)
- Tuesday, December 14 - Winter Wonderland Learning Celebration (for all 3-5 students)
- Thursday, December 16 - Mr. Sloop's Holiday Spin
- Friday, December 17 - Kona Ice Fundraiser for Pre-K Playground ($5 per child for a Kona Ice after lunch)
- Wednesday, December 22 - First Day of Holiday Break (no school)
- Thursday, January 6, 2022 - First Day of Second Semester for students
- Wednesday, January 12 - Wellness Wednesday
- Monday, January 17 - Student/Staff Holiday (no school)
- Tuesday, February 8 - SCES Family Science Night supported by NFHS Science Ambassadors (click here for more info and to help sponsor the event)