School Board Notes
2017-2018 Budget Approved
During the June 27 regular meeting of the Board of School Directors, the Board approved the General Fund Budget of the Methacton School District for the 2017-2018 fiscal year in the amount of $106,894,058 requiring a millage of 29.4585 and an increase in property tax of 2.5%.
The proposed final budget was presented to the Board during the work session meeting on June 20 - download the 2017-2018 Final Budget Presentation.
K-4 Transition Update
Melissa Gorla, the district’s Principal in Charge of Transition Coordination, provided the Board and public with an update on transition planning. Some key points:
- Former Audubon staff members gathered for breakfast followed by an assembly program with students to open the Audubon time capsule. Participants were treated to artifacts from 1997-1998 school year and group performance of the school's alma mater. See more about this special event here.
- Hundreds gathered to tour Audubon one last time on June 21 to look at memorabilia, sign a "memory" wall, and gather with friends and community members to say farewell to Audubon. See photos of this special event here.
- Home & School sponsored Popsicles on the Playground activities have begun. These events allow students to meet new friends at their new school while playing on the playground during a casual gathering of new families.
- Elementary welcome videos have been posted to the transition section of the website.
- The facilities department has been busy since the close of school assisting with internal staff moves. This work is well underway and on target to be completed on schedule.
The Meetings in Review
Director of Business Services
The Board held a special meeting on June 5 for the purpose of acting on the hiring of Mr. Timothy Bricker as the district's Director of Business Services.
Mr. Bricker has over 23 years of private sector banking and finance experience, having held a variety of vice president and senior level management positions. Most recently, he served as president of TL Services, LLC, a financial services firm.
Mr. Bricker began his service to the district during the last week of June.
Representatives from First Student, the district's bus software provider, and staff from the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit, who provide Methacton's transportation management services, meet regularly with district administration. This summer's work is focused primarily on routing revisions and bus stop changes that are necessary to provide students with the safest and most efficient route to school. All district stops were reviewed in terms of best practice, and modifications were made in order to improve safety for students on the bus and those waiting at bus stops. Other changes were necessary as a result of the Audubon Elementary School closure.
All district runs are scheduled to be completed and prepared for the drivers to perform road tests during the first two weeks in July. A mailing will be sent to the families with their stop assignments during the 3rd week of July, and final adjustments to stops or the timing of runs to be made during the last two weeks in July.
On May 31st the Community Transportation Committee reconvened for the first time this year. The group reviewed safety issues and bus stop revisions, as well as frequently asked questions (now posted on the Methacton School District Transportation webpage) and an update on transportation planning that was distributed to families in mid-June.
Athletics and Activities - Sponsored Club Update
Dr. Paul Spiewak, Methacton's Assistant Principal for Athletics and Activities presented the Board with two items for consideration, included proposed board approval for three new district sponsored clubs at the high school for the 2017-2018 school year, and an update on administrative work associated with the K-12 updated Co-Curricular Activities and Coaching Compensation program.
The Academic Decathlon, TEAMS, and Best Buddies clubs were approved at no additional cost to the school district. Additional discussion of the K-12 updated Co-Curricular Activities and Coaching Compensation program will take place at a future meeting of the Board.
Facilities Update - Summer Work 2017
Director of Facilities, Mark Fretz, provided the Board with an overview of summer facilities planning. This includes:
- Work associated with the relocation of staff and students from Audubon Elementary School,
- The Stormwater management project at MHS,
- Landscaping work on campuses, including tree removal and clean-up,
- Paving, painting, HVAC maintenance, cleaning, and other planned projects.
All other items listed on the June 27 meeting agenda were approved.