Let's Get Cooking Students!
Easy - Cheap - Fast recipes
Hello college students! So here are some things that I have found most interesting and useful for you this month. Hope you guys enjoy them!
Recipe of the month: Glazed Pork Chops
Prep Time: 10 min | Cook Time: 15 min
- 4 thick cut pork chops
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl combine the brown sugar and spices.
- Remove the pork chops from their package and rub the sugar/spice mix all over both sides. Use all of the mix.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium/high heat. When the oil is hot, add the pork chops.
- Cook the chops for about 5 minutes on each side or until they are nicely browned.
- Transfer the chops to a baking sheet lined with foil then place in the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the chops from the oven and drag each side around in the thick glaze that has formed around the chops in the pan prior to serving. Serve with rice, veggies or smashed potatoes.
11 Grocery Shopping Tips to Save Money
- Shop on a full stomach. You'll buy less snacks or things you don't need.
- Make a list and stick to it!
- Always plan your meals before shopping!! In this ways you'll just buy the things you need for your menu.
- Shop only one time, either it is a week or every two weeks you do groceries . You tend to spend more if you go several times during that period.
- Shop when you have energy and aren't preoccupied. You'll make better decisions.
- Shop with a calculator and add things as you put them in the cart. It will help you stick to your spending plan.
- Buy non-food grocery items like detergent or garbage bags at discount stores.
- Consider using grocery apps that have coupons.
- Even if its "on sale", it's only a good buy if you will use it! Buy just what you need.
- Organize your food storage cupboards, drawers and refrigerator. If you don't know what you have or cant find what you bought, you'll end up buying unnecessary things, use what you have before buying more.
- Package your own treats and snacks. Buy large packages of snacks and make individual packages to grab on the run. In this way you'll don't spend more money buying snacks at the college.
This is my favourite food page. They post a lot of interesting articles relating food and also super easy recipes. You guys should check them out, you won't be disappointed. You can follow them on twitter too ---> @BuzzFeedFood
Recipe to try next: Hearty Black Bean Quesadilla
Prep Time: 5 min | Cook Time: 10 min | Cost per serving: $0.66
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ small red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 batch taco seasoning
- 10 taco sized tortillas
- Drain the can of beans and rinse lightly. Place the beans in a large bowl along with the corn.
- Rinse the cilantro, remove the leaves, and chop roughly. Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the cilantro, onion, garlic, and shredded cheese to the bowl with the beans and corn. Lastly, mix up a batch of taco seasoning and add to the bowl. Stir everything until evenly mixed.
- Place a half cup of the filling on one side of each tortilla and fold over. Cook in a skillet on both sides over medium heat until brown and crispy and the cheesy filling has melted.
- To freeze the quesadillas, simply fill each one and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer for one hour to solidify the quesadillas and then transfer to a freezer bag. To reheat either microwave (for a soft quesadilla) or cook in a skillet on low heat (make sure to use low heat so that the filling has time to thaw and melt before the outside burns).
Best Cookbook? Definitely CRAVINGS!!! by Chrissy Teigen
Best on-the-go snack
Hummus with red pepper, celery, and carrots! So easy to make, just buy hummus at your regular grocery store, chop some celery, red peppers and carrots, put them in a container an you are ready to go! Its so delicious, healthy and it is a cheap snack done in minutes. Hummus can be a bit expensive but you can make it yourself (recipe: http://bit.ly/1q1uR0s).
Also check out this article about the health benefits of Hummus, and why you should you include it in your diet (http://bit.ly/1SKCvJ0)