Ankeny Centennial High School - May 2022
It’s Teacher Appreciation Week! Please join me in celebrating our amazing staff at Centennial and Orbis. Each and every day, I’m inspired by the work they do in partnership with our students. If you haven’t done so yet, please take a moment to send a note to a teacher who has made a positive impact on you. For those of you who have donated food and decorated our workroom this week, THANK YOU.
Dr. Jill Urich
Centennial High School Principal
Centennial High School - Class of 2022
Senior Calendar 2022
The following attachment is the Senior Calendar for 2022.
Please note, this calendar includes important dates for Seniors and their families.
Post Secondary Decision Day at CHS
The Counselor's Corner
Final Transcript Requests for Seniors
All final transcripts are sent through Naviance
In Naviance select “Colleges” at the top, then select “Colleges I’m Applying To.” On the next page select “Request Transcript” in the upper right hand corner and make sure you select “Final Transcript.”
Juniors → Seniors! Be on the lookout for your Senior Letter
This summer, students in the graduating class of 2023 will receive a Senior Credit Letter in the mail. The letter will identify the courses and the number of credits your senior student will need to meet graduation requirements. As a reminder, students need to meet graduation requirements as well as be enrolled as a full time student. Full time students are enrolled in 6 credits plus a PE each semester. We are excited to help your student have a successful senior year!
Parents/Guardians of students who will be sophomores and juniors during the 22-23 school year, this information is for you. Please be on the lookout for a letter this summer detailing information regarding the October 2022 PSAT test. Registration will take place this summer with a late registration deadline in August. As a reminder, the PSAT is not a required test for students. Junior scores are used to identify National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalists.
Follow us on Instagram @achscounselors!
French Exchange Program
Under the leadership of teachers Tammy Simms and Angela Worley Petersen, 24 students from ACHS and AHS recently participated in a cultural exchange with a high school in Saint-Quentin, France. Our group traveled to France during Spring Break and then hosted our French partners here in Ankeny during April. This immersive opportunity is offered to high school students enrolled in French as a way to truly bring the curriculum to life. Students were able to experience the language and culture first-hand and make memories that will truly last a lifetime!
French National Honor Society
Spanish National Honor Society
Ankeny Booster Club Camps
Summer camp registration is now open on the Ankeny Booster Club website. Camps are led by our CHS coaching staff for students K-12. Sign up now! https://centennial.ankenycamps.com/
- The CHS Girls Track Team and Staff is hosting the Iowa Middle School Boys State Track & Field Meet on Saturday, May 7, beginning at 9:00 a.m. The meet is being held at the Ankeny Stadium. Tickets can be purchased at the gate.
- The girls and boys track teams will be competing in the state qualifying meets on Thursday, May 12, in Ft. Dodge. The state track meet is held at Drake Stadium May 19-21.
- The girls and boys soccer sub state and regional play begin the week of May 16 with times and locations to be determined. The girls state soccer tournament is May 31-June 4 and the boys state soccer tournament is June 1-4. The state tournaments are held at Cownie Soccer Complex in Des Moines.
- The girls and boys tennis teams begin districts and regional play the week of May 9. The boys state meet is May 24-25 and the girls state meet is May 27-28.
- The girls golf team will compete in the girls regional golf meet on May 18 and the state golf meet is May 26-27.
Baseball and softball practices begin Monday, May 2.
National Honor Societies
- The Spanish National Honor Society inducted 28 students at their ceremony on April 25.
- The French National Honor Society inducted 26 seniors and 4 juniors at their ceremony on April 27.
- The National Honor Society will hold its induction ceremony on May 23 with 75 new members being honored.
Band & Vocal
- The IHSMA Large Group Band and Vocal Festivals will be held Saturday, May 7. AHS will host the vocal contest and CHS will host the band contest. Band and vocal ensembles will be performing to receive ratings from the IHSMA. The festivals are open to the public with ticket sales at the door.
- The vocal music concert has been rescheduled for Sunday, May 15, at 2:00 p.m. in the CHS Auditorium.
ACHS Symphonic Band - ACHS Wind Symphony - Northview 9th Grade Concert Band
In addition to performing at an extremely high level, the ACHS Band Program was awarded the “Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser Esprit de Corps Award” which recognizes schools that display an exemplary attitude of positive support and outstanding personal behavior. Personal integrity, quality character values, a desire for excellence and a spirit of cooperation serve as the cornerstone qualities of the Esprit de Corps award.
The band’s trip to Chicago also included a number of other musical activities, including dinner at the House of Blues, a performance by the Blue Man Group, and a Chicago Symphony Orchestra Concert.
“While I could not be happier with how well the students performed at the festival, I was even more proud of the way that they represented their school and community while off the stage. It was a fantastic trip and a great opportunity for the students to display their abilities and their character.” Scott Hook- Director
Activities at CHS
Special Olympics Track Meet
- Please be prepared to show your school ID's at all times.
Ankeny Centennial High School Hours
Upcoming Calendar of Events
05/04: Late Start - 9:25 am
05/11: Late Start - 9:25 am
05/18: Late Start - 9:25 am
05/24: Senior's Last Day
05/24: Senior Spotlight - 7:00 pm
05/25: Late Start - 9:25 am
05/30: No School - Memorial Day - 1:00 pm
06/01: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
06/02: Senior Breakfast & Mandatory Commencement Practice
06/04: Commencement - Hilton Coliseum, Ames Iowa
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
08/23: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL - 2022-2023
The information distributed in the Virtual Backpack is provided as a service to inform members of the community of available activities or services from community organizations.