UHS School Counseling Newsletter
AP Exams for UHS Students
KEYSTONE VIRTUAL COLLEGE FAIRS
PACAC Virtual College Fair
Student Registration is Open!
April 12-13, 2021
Registration is now open for the April 12-13 PACAC Virtual College Fair! Students can sign-up to virtually connect with colleges and universities from around the country for free.
The program will also include two college knowledge sessions at 4:00 pm ET daily.
- April 12 - Navigating the College Admission Process for Performing and Visual Arts Students
- April 13 - Paying for College-sponsored by PNC Bank.
Students should register for each session that they want to attend. Once they register, they’ll receive a confirmation email with their unique link to join the Zoom webinar. (Students will also receive a barcode, but the barcode is not necessary for this virtual event.) When students register, they are sharing their registration information only with colleges presenting on that particular panel. StriveScan does not sell or share personally identifiable student information with any other third parties.
Students should participate live so they can ask questions and interact with the college admission counselors. If students are unable to attend live, we still encourage them to register for the sessions they are interested in, and recordings will be available here later.
NACAC Virtual College Fairs
- April 10: 3:00 – 7:00 pm ET
- April 20: 3:00 – 7:00 pm ET
- May 2: 1:00 – 7:00 pm ET
Virtual College Events and Opportunities for Students
Colleges are using various online platforms and tools to help provide information and insight into the world of college admissions and to connect with students. In addition to hosting college-specific admission events, colleges are providing additional resources to help students navigate the changing and evolving college admissions research journey. Many colleges are joining forces and creating podcasts that cover a multitude of topics that address many of the frequently asked questions. For example, Dartmouth has 12 engaging episodes that include a diverse cast of admissions officers, school counselors, students, and parents discussing how to identify a good college fit, how to tell your story in your application, the mechanics of selective admission, and the nuances between merit-based and need-based financial aid (Click this link Season 1 of The Search). Season 2 is being released now.
WHERE CAN I FIND THIS INFORMATION?
- Students should go directly to the college website and/or follow the Office of Admissions social media platforms for the most up-to-date information about such events.
- The UHS Counseling Department has been compiling a list of events and updates as they are received. Please refer to the Virtual College Events & Updates link which is posted on the UHS School Counseling website, under the College Planning & Resources page.
Engineering Majors Panel Event, hosted by UPenn Society of Women Engineers
University of Pennsylvania’s Society of Women Engineers is hosting a virtual Engineering Majors Panel on Friday, April 16th, from 4:30-5:30 pm. This event will be a panel with female college students of various engineering majors. The panelists will be able to answer questions about classes and opportunities available in each major, explain how they picked their majors, and offer advice for high school students considering studying engineering. We hope that the high school students will be able to learn about the many different paths female engineers might take, and we hope to encourage aspiring female engineers to pursue similar interests in college.
Students can use the form linked here to register: https://forms.gle/QgcwS2HgMzH8q47t8. The Zoom link for the event will be sent out on April 15th to participants who have registered by then. We have also attached a flyer for the event below. Students can reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
Financial Aid 101 - Statewide Webinar presented by PHEAA
Use the following link to register.
Event Link: https://pheaaconf.webex.com/pheaaconf/onstage/g.php?MTID=e0661bee6837ffb6e375b9e553335bb8c
FOCUS presents What's the L in SEL? Tuesday, April 13th
Summer, Alcohol, and Teens, presented by West Chester Communities That Care (CTC)
Presenter: Christine Storm, MPH, Director of Community Education, Caron Treatment Center
Register through the link below. West Chester Communities That Care (CTC) Presents: Summer, Alcohol and Teens. Zoom link will be sent to registered participants at noon on the day of the event.
Programming from the Crime Victim's Center of Chester County, INC., for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (#SAAM) and calls attention to the fact that sexual violence is widespread and impacts every person in our community. During April, and year-round, our goals at CVC are to raise public awareness about sexual violence and educate communities on how to prevent it. If you would like to join us this month here are a few ways you can get involved:
- SAAM Day of Action (April 6) – Set aside time today to have conversations about sexual assault with those closest to you; you can visit the National Sexual Violence Resource Center's SAAM Day of Action page for resources on how to get the conversation started.
- #TealTuesdays - Wear teal on Tuesdays to stand with survivors and recognize the impact of sexual violence in our community, and commit to doing everything in our power to learn about and exercise consent every day, with every person.
- SAAM Workshops - CVC will be hosting free public workshops every Wednesday throughout April on topics related to sexual assault awareness. Visit our Eventbrite page to register.
- #DenimDay (April 28) - This international day of recognition of sexual assault victimization uses denim as a symbol of protest against erroneous and destructive attitudes about sexual harassment, abuse, assault, and rape. Follow this link to learn more about its history and how Denim Day got its name.
Looking for Summer Enrichment Programs?
Also, be sure to monitor updates on the Counseling Center website for college, volunteer, leadership & enrichment, and career opportunities.