2021-22 Budget Reminders
Putting your budget together for next year?
Remember to include the following (see the October Newsletter at https://guides.rilink.org/communications/octnewsletter2020 for more details).
- Increase to $862.67 for annual software maintenance with move to a hosted system
- RILINK dues @$1.50 per student based on the enrollment reported to RIDE on October 1
- Five percent possible increase in any database subscriptions that you add for your library
- Membership in the OverDrive group based on student enrollment. Cost is provided in the chart below ($100 for BookLynx fee per site will no longer be charged)
check-in books belonging to other RILINK member libraries
New Additions to BookLynx
Check out the 39 new eBooks and 8 digital audiobooks recently added to BookLynx at https://tinyurl.com/yy9yh7u7 . The list includes selections for a variety of grade levels, including
- Balloons Over Broadway, by Mel Sweet (grades K-2) Picture book about Tony Sarg, the man behind the balloons for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Includes free teaching resources downloadable from Titlewave(c)
- The Talk: Conversations about Race, Love & Truth, Hudson, Wade, editor (grades 5-8) See reviews at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51457308-the-talk
- The River Between Us by Peck, Richard The harsh realities of the Civil War in an historical novel with many surprises. Includes Educators Guide downloadable from Titlewave(c)
Find directions for adding eBooks and digital audio books to your collection at https://tinyurl.com/ycdylnrv. When adding new eBooks and audio books to your collection, sort by date added in descending order to see the newest titles. As always, Donna Good looks forward to receiving your requests and recommendations. Just fill out the form at https://rilink.libwizard.com/f/eBookrequest.
Professional Titles on BookLynx
RILINK Strategic Plan Update
A New Collection by Destiny For Our Future Ready Librarian Podcast Series
Shannon McClintock-Miller has created a Collection called Leading From The Library, Future Ready Librarians® Podcast available at https://bit.ly/2HIh65A. You do not need to be logged in to view it or create a PDF of the podcasts. You must be logged in to make a copy of the Collection.
- Read AskRI's latest update at https://bit.ly/3kH0Obe.
- For accurate links to point your students to a particular WorldBook database go to https://www.askri.org/resources/world-book/ and right-click to copy the link for the database that you want.
- If your middle and high schools students like to browse through magazines, you may also want to copy the link to AskRI's Flipster subscription on the Flipster page at https://www.askri.org/resources/flipster/.
Channel 36 PreK-12 Resources for New School Routines
Find these resources at https://mass.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/new-school-routines/ including
- The PBS KIDS 24/7 Channel - educational programming for children ages 2-8 throughout the day, seven days a week. (en español)
- The WORLD At-Home Learning Block -, offered nationally by WGBH, features educationally aligned programming for students in grades 6-12 from Noon – 5 PM daily.
- Bilingual Learn Along Bingo Packets
- Video resources by grade level, preK-12, for topics in Science, Math, Reading/English Language, Social Studies and History, Social-Emotional Learning and the Arts
eBook Holds in Destiny Discover
Holds can now be placed on eBooks. Permission to place Holds must first be turned on in Back Office.
- Go to the Admin tab and then click on Access Levels
- Chose the Access level you want to Edit
- Click on the Patron tab
- Check "Place hold for self from Catalog (Library)" under Self-Empowered Patron Access
- Click Save
To activate Holds in Destiny Discover
- open the Main Menu
- click on Admin/ Policies/ Patron Types
- open on Action and then the Edit Pencil for the Patron Type
Please remember when establishing Max Checkouts and Max Holds that BookLynx is a shared option. Follett provides videos on placing Holds in general on the Follett Community site.
Quarantine status for checked-in items
Quick Survey about Quarantine Function
Zoom Session: All about Holds & the Quarantine Function
Make a Wish Option in Destiny Discover
Patrons can now request a title in Destiny Discover by making a wish. Librarians can view Wish Lists in Destiny Back Office. Select Reports > Library Reports, and then under Catalog -- Titles & Copies, select Wish Lists. More information is available https://bit.ly/37IARo3
Upcoming Professional Learning
RILINK ECN Offerings
As a provider for RIDE's Educator Course Network, RILINK is offering 5 sessions on November 16. Please send suggestions for future sessions to email@example.com.
- Meet Destiny Discover for Teachers
- 9:00 AM- 10:00 AM
Managing Teaching Resources with Collections ®
10:00 AM- 11:00 AM
Exploring Nature Science Education Resources for Middle/High School
11:00 AM- 12:00 PM
An Introduction to LibWizard
12:00 PM- 1:00 PM
Getting Started with LibGuides CMS
- 1:00 PM- 2:00 Pm
Members may also request customized sessions. Visit our RILINK Professional Learning page at https://guides.rilink.org/prolearningopps/rilinkpl for more details or to request a session.
Local Candidate for ALA President
2021 ALA Midwinter Meetings & Exhibits
I love my librarian award
Go to http://www.ilovelibraries.org/lovemylibrarian to nominate your favorite librarian!