BAMS Staff Newsletter
March 9th, 2014 - Volume 1, Issue 22
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO
By the end of the 2013-2014 school year, 100% of an identified population of struggling readers in 6th-8th grade will increase their Reading RIT score on the May MAP assessment.
I will be making some adjustments to our building SLO. I feel that this goal is too narrow and needs to be more broad. I really like the idea of this being a pilot year because the vision for these goals is becoming much clearer as we learn and experience more. Look for an updated goal soon.
Out of the Office
- March 11th - 7:30-3:30 - Business/Industry/Education - Marian University
- March 18th - 9:30-11:00 - Admin Meeting - DMR
News and Notes
- Joan will be out this week. She is in Arizona at the Brewers Spring Training (good for her!). Janice Hau will be filling in for Joan and Jennifer will be working her regular schedule. Please let us know how we can help you this week.
- Final requisitions need to be turned in by April 11th so materials are paid for with this year's budget. Please let me know if there are needs that you have.
- Please have any money collected for iPad repairs or replacements go through the main office. I want to keep close records of this for comparisons to future years.
- Electronics Disposal - Dave Mand will be having someone come next week to pick up any unwanted electronics in the district. Please contact Dave if you have something they needs to be disposed of.
- Safety Drill This Week - We will be having a lockdown drill this week. Please review the emergency plans located on the website. Let me know if you have any questions. Also, if you have a radio/walkie-talkie, please keep it on Channel 2 for the drill and everything else. We have decide to make it easy and use just one channel for everything district wide.
- At the April Early Release, we will be learning more about STAR benchmark assessments. Most likely we will not be using MAP next year and will utilize STAR as our benchmark assessment.
- RtI Team - Our RtI team is fully assembled!! Adam Micke, Julie Skaer, Melissa Rahn and Theresa Galligan will be helping to make decisions about our reading intervention program for next year. I am thankful for there willingness to help and take risks. I am going to ask that we put our trust in this team to make decisions on behalf of our staff. At times we will seek input from staff, and at times not. Please speak with me or any team member if you have any questions. We certainly have lots to do before the start of next year.
- Staff Meeting Change for this Month - Please note that we will not be having a staff meeting this week, but March 18th instead. We will not have a staff meeting on March 25th.
- Rebirth of Team Room - I am strongly considering going back to utilizing the room between the counselors office and the main office as the location for our team meetings next year. One reason for this is to have student documentation and data easily accessible to teams when they meet. Please come see me if you have any thoughts about this.
- Thank you to teams for updating our student data slides. Great teamwork!! I personally have looked at these when students' names come up in meetings. It will be great to pass these on to the next grade level after this year.
- We are planning to do a school-wide reteaching of our technology expectations sometime in the near future. Brandon and Lee are working to put together a presentation that can be given to all grades.
- If at any time you need behavioral data on a student, please speak with Brandon. He would be happy to get you any data you need.
- Next Meeting - March 12th at 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
- Documentation Log - Due May 1st
- 2nd Observation - Due Before May 1st
- End of Year SLO Review - Due by May 15th
- SLO Score Report - Due by May 31st
- 2 visits to another classroom - Due by the End of the Year
*You may have noticed or you will notice that I have been finalizing forms on OASYS that have not been completed. On example are, the walk-through forms. I only use one of the 3 options for each walk-through. If you have any questions, just ask. :)
**Documentation Log Reminders:
- You should have at least 1 artifact per standard and not more than 3 artifacts for any one standard.
- The classroom observations of any other teacher can go into any standard. Pick the standard that makes the most sense based on what you observed or what you took away from the experience.
Dates to Remember
- March 10th - PTO Meeting - 4-5pm
- March 12th - Oriole Way Meeting - 7-7:30am
- March 12th - Early Release
- March 21st - End of 3rd Quarter
- March 26th - Pep Assembly
Staff Meeting Agenda
Next Staff Meeting: March 18th, 2014 - 2:50-3:15pm
Agenda: Review Leadership Survey & 2014-2015 BAMS Schedule
- The first part of the meeting I will share with you the results of my leadership survey. Thank you to everyone that was able to take the survey.
- We will also look at a paper copy of our schedule for next year.
Early Release Agenda
- Debrief About March Lockdown Drill (tentative plan)
- Work on District Initiatives **I'm very thankful that you are able to have time to cross things off your list. Not every district gives their staff time like this every month.
Mystery Staff Member
Who am I?
- I was interviewed by Dan Small on Outdoor Wisconsin.
- I worked for Dick Bennett.
- I learned to do the Irish jig in a pub in Dublin.
After reading the clues, email me with your guess of who this staff member is. The first 3 people to email me with the correct answer will get to prize from the "prize box".
Last week's Mystery Staff Member: Chris Redeker
Last week's winner(s): Shelly Nyberg