Notes from Dr. Irvin
Your Weekly eNews for February 18
Hello Parents and Guardians,
Patience vs. Persistence
As we endure cold winter days, I recount the times we have been called to practice patience in the last 11 months. In learning new systems or waiting on efficient vaccine rollout, there has been no shortage of need for patience. While there is value in patience, it infers a passivity and requires potential lowering of the bar or a pause in pursuit of outcomes. Persistence requires a level a similar steadfastness but infers a focus on action, of doing. Persistence speaks to sustained efforts in learning about how we can do our work better and more efficiency, and how to better team together. The staff at WGHS has devoted this time and energy to PLC work each Wednesday that goes a long way in building a collective persistence toward student learning. I am excited to see the results of this persistence each day in our classrooms.
This Week is School Board Recognition Week! Special thanks to our School Board Liaisons, Jo Doll, Kita Quinn, and David Addison! We are so grateful for your support.
Schedule Your Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences
Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences
Webster Groves High School
Please join us! February 24 & 25 via Zoom
Wednesday, February 24
5 - 8 p.m.
Thursday, February 25
5 - 8 p.m.
(Departments will have a rotating 10-minute break.)
We're looking forward to meeting with you virtually. This spring, all conferences will be held virtually via Zoom and scheduled using PTCFast.com.
The purpose of the conference is to give parents and teachers an opportunity to discuss student progress and to work together to ensure student achievement. Parents should know the names of the teachers they wish to visit within each department. We urge you to schedule as many of your child’s teachers as time permits. Up to SEVEN minutes will be allotted for each conference.
We will be using the PTCFast system for scheduling conferences. Please see instructions below on how to schedule conference times.
As you prepare for conferences, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Teachers will call all parents who they have the greatest need to meet.
- Please check your child's progress online in the Parent Portal. This will assist in determining whether you need to schedule a conference/meet with a teacher.
- You may choose not to see all or any of your child's teachers, depending on their progress.
- For specific questions, an email to the teacher may suit your needs.
- If all scheduled time slots have been filled, and you still desire to meet with a particular teacher, please email the teacher to set up an individual conference via Zoom. Teachers will schedule meetings during asynchronous learning or their professional development time.
We look forward to meeting with you via Zoom. If you desire more than the seven minutes allowed at these conferences, please set up an individual teacher conference.
How to Schedule Conferences with Your Child's Teachers
Conferences will be scheduled online using www.ptcfast.com. Please note that you must have a personal email account (ex. Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.) in order to schedule a conference for your student. Conferences will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. You must register your student for each teacher with whom you wish to meet.
- Please click on or enter the following web address into your browser window to get started: https://www.ptcfast.com/schools/Webster_Groves_High_School_1
- Next, select your child's teacher; you can select more than one if applicable to your family.
- You will then register your child's name, then your name and contact information. This creates a registration for each child and sends you a confirmation email with a link to choose a conference time for that teacher. It is a two-step process, as the first registration just gets you into the system. Going to the email that is generated from your registration and clicking on the active link will allow you to choose a conference time for the teacher.
- Once you have chosen a time for each teacher with whom you wish to visit, you will receive a confirmation email with the schedule.
Teachers will send the Zoom link via email to all parents, and post the link on their Canvas page.
If you are unable to sign up for a conference but still wish to discuss your student’s progress with a teacher, please email them directly.
Statesmen Service Awards Update
Spring is coming and so are the annual Statesmen Service Awards!! We understand that this year has not allowed for as many in person volunteer opportunities so we are decreasing the minimum number of hours required to 25 (instead of last year’s 50 hours). So now is the time for your student to take full advantage of their generosity to others and submit their 25+ volunteer hours so they can be honored for their awesomeness!!! Forms are due by 3/18 – just before Spring Break. Forms are in Office 124. Questions? Contact Julie Simonson, Administrative Assistant, (email@example.com) or John E. Thomas, Assistant Principal.
Form and additional information can be found HERE:
Term 3 Important Dates--March 15-April 1
Term 3 Schedule
Did You Know?
If the District calls an "Inclement Weather Day," WGHS students will complete asynchronous learning. In order to meet DESE state-required hours of instructional time, any inclement weather days are to be conducted at WGHS as asynchronous virtual learning days. There will be no live Zooms; rather, teachers will assign work to be done independently. The only exception to this is a "late start" on M, T, TH, or F. See the graphic below for details.
Inclement Weather and School Closing Information
Should bad weather or other adverse conditions prompt us to consider closing schools, the District will make a decision as early as possible. Information will be available through the following outlets:
- Phone calls to all families through SchoolMessenger
- Local media: KMOV TV (Channel 4), KSDK TV (Channel 5), KTVI (Channel 2) and KMOX radio (AM 1120)
- District website www.webster.k12.mo.us
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WebsterGrovesSD
- Twitter @WebsterGrovesSD
The Webster Groves School District will consider closing schools early due to emerging weather and/or road conditions that will make it unsafe for children to be dismissed at the regular time. If school is dismissed early, all after school programs and activities, including Adventure Club, will be canceled. Non-district related events will also be canceled (ex: YMCA’s Hoopsters).
Transportation provided by First Student, the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation, and ZipCare will transport children home at dismissal.
Unless special circumstances exist, the high school will be dismissed at 12 p.m.
Delayed School Start Time
The Webster Groves School District will consider opening schools with a “late start” on inclement days when roads are expected to be cleared within a few hours. This option would keep children, families and staff off the roads during the busy morning rush hour. A late start would mean that all schools would open one hour and thirty minutes later than their usual start times. A quick breakfast would be available for students. Transportation provided by First Student, the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation, and ZipCare will be scheduled to pick up students one hour and thirty minutes later than their regular pick up times.
All schools and Adventure Club would close at their regular times.
WGHS Delayed Start Time:
Student Arrival Time: 9:10 a.m.
School Start Time: 9:25 a.m.
WGHS Term 3 Blended 4x4 Daily Schedule Delayed Start due to Inclement Weather
This schedule is only applicable in the event of an announcement by the district of an inclement weather delayed start on M, T, TH, or F.
Building opens at 9:10 a.m. for Morning Session
Building opens at 12:30 for Afternoon Session
Bus Payment for Semester 2 Due March 18
Bus Payment for semester 2 is due by March 18. Checks can be written to the WGSD and mailed in or dropped off by your student to Leigh McKittrick in Office 308.
One way bus transportation is $80, and AM/PM transportation is $160. This fee is prorated to only reflect our in person days this semester. If you have any further questions, please email or call Leigh McKittrick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 918-4139.
A Note from the Nurse
- Please keep your student home if notified they were exposed to COVID-19
- Please keep your student home if a COVID-19 test is pending in student or household member
- Please keep your student home if your student OR another member of your household, including siblings, is exhibiting symptoms that need to be verified as non-COVID-19 versus COVID-19.
Free Breakfast and Lunch Available for All WGSD Students
During in person learning and distance learning, Webster Groves Students will continue to have access to FREE breakfast and FREE lunch Monday-Friday.
Meals are available for pick-up at Webster Groves High School and home delivery. Students who have opted for in person learning, will be able choose their meal choice daily in the classroom.
For home delivery or meal pick up , please sign up using the below link
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
Counseling Department Updates
The St. Louis Area Regional Representatives (STARR) group has teamed up with Darr Tutoring to offer free ACT prep prior to the ACT on 3/30. Students can register for as many sessions as they’d like to attend.
Math Section – Monday, February 22nd from 6:00pm-7:30pm
English Section – Thursday, February 25th from 6:00pm-7:30pm
Science Section – Monday, March 1st from 6:00pm-7:30pm
Reading Section – Thursday, March 4th from 6:00pm-7:30pm
Register Here: https://www.starrmissouri.com/asws
Juniors! Mark Your Calendars
All juniors will take the ACT on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. This is at no cost to students and no registration on your part is necessary. More information will be shared as we get closer to the test date.
Scholarship Information for Seniors
Applications for the 2021 Webster Groves local scholarships are now available. Please visit our Counseling Webpage here for more information and instructions to apply. The deadline to apply for all local scholarships is February 18, 2021 (extended).
St. Louis Area Scholarship Search St. Louis Graduates Scholarship Central (Note: Many of these applications have not opened up yet so keep checking back.) This is also where you can apply for Interest Free Student Loans from Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis.
Where can you find other scholarships? There are a number of scholarship databases out there. While it can seem a little overwhelming, it can be very rewarding if you put some time into it.
Upcoming College Admissions Testing
The SAT—Saturday, March 13, 2021 (WGHS not a test center)
Register at www.sat.org by February 12, 2021.
As a reminder, all juniors will take the ACT at school on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. Test fees are paid for by WGSD and no registration on your part is required.
As a reminder, WGHS school counselors and social workers are working to support the academic, social and emotional, and post-secondary planning needs of our students. If you or your child are having difficulties or need assistance, please reach out to their counselor or social worker.
A-E Alex King (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For students or families having technology issues, please do the following:
- For specific Canvas issues, contact Ms. Liz Forderhase at email@example.com or call her at 314.963.6400, ext. 11928.
- Below is a link to the technology support ticket system we are utilizing to help give our learners and families the most efficient system to help us keep track of technology support requests. Use this site to submit when you are having technology difficulties with your child's equipment/access/accounts/etc.
As always, you are welcome to contact us at 314.963.6400 for assistance.
We have now moved all COVID-19 information to a separate link. We will update this as we receive new information.