January 15, 2021
ANOTHER EXCITING EDITION OF TAMANEND TRIVIA NIGHT
Tamanend Student Council and Tamanend National Junior Honor Society hosted a Tamanend Trivia Night online for the whole family on Thursday, January 14. The trivia game was played live on Kahoot and hosted on Microsoft Teams. Thank you to Mr. Dudley for serving as emcee, Sra. Murray for creating the Kahoot, and Mme. Orinski, Mrs. Vitacco, and Sra. Mars for organizing the event. Congratulations to the winners:
3rd Place--Team Tiger (family of Sophia Woodcock)
2nd Place--Team Carpenter (family of Emma Carpenter)
1st Place--Team Sullivan (family of Kaitlin Sullivan)
Thank you to all of the students, staff, and families who participated!
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Martin Luther King Jr. Day (School Holiday)--Monday, January 18
Parent Council--Thursday, January 21 at 9:00 AM (virtual, on Teams)
Student Picture Re-Takes--Thursday, January 21 or by appointment at studio until January 29
7th Grade Program Planning Presentation for students--Wednesday, January 27 during 3rd Period
8th Grade Program Planning Presentation for students--Thursday, January 28 during 3rd Period
End of 2nd Marking Period/Early Dismissal--Friday, January 29
- Attendance at basketball games is currently available for one (1) parent/player and cheerleader for home games only, and a ticket must be shown prior to entry. Attendance at any event is subject to appropriate behavior and adherence to CBSD athletic and districtwide health and safety plans. Anyone who refuses to adhere to guidelines will be asked to leave campus.
- Family ID is currently open for boys basketball registration. All 7th and 8th Grade boys interested in playing basketball for Tamanend this year must have their registration on Family ID completed by the end of the day on Wednesday, January 20th. On Thursday the 21st, information that pertains to tryouts and the season will be distributed. That information will only be sent to those who are registered in Family ID. Tryouts will be held from 2:45-4:15 starting in early February. Please visit the FAMILY ID WEB SITE to register and be sure to upload your child’s PIAA physical form. If your child played a Fall sport, only a recertification form (Section 7 of the PIAA physical form) needs to be uploaded. Detailed directions on registering for sports can be found on TAMANEND'S ATHLETICS WEB PAGE.
- REMINDER: Please keep in mind that students must go home at the end of the school day. It is the responsibility of the student-athlete and parent/guardian to coordinate transportation back to school on days of practices/games, as well as for away games.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- School Holiday
- No Contests
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball @ Unami (Away; 3:15)
- Wrestling @ Holicong (Away; 3:15)
- 7th Grade Girls Basketball @ Holicong (Away; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Girls Basketball vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Follow Up to CB South Virtual Curriculum Fair for Current 9th Graders
This week the Class of 2024 House Team held two live Teams sessions to share information about the South culture and answer 9th grade parents' questions about the high school curriculum. This session was recorded (1:05 hour in length) and can be found under “Step 4” of the Curriculum Information Page of the South Guidance website. We hope our families will find the information on this page helpful as students explore their options for 10th grade courses.
Help Support Crayons to Cradles
Reminder--9th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Bucks and Monto Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit is Sunday, January 17
Did You Know? Breakfast and Lunch is Available to ALL Students Free of Charge Through the Remainder of the 2020-2021 School Year
Tamanend 9th Grader Works With Elementary School Students in India
Tamanend 9th Grader Tanush Deka was looking for ways to positively contribute to the lives of those in need during the pandemic. In this endeavor, Tanush started working with an organization named Pragya Niketan located in Guwahati, Assam, India. This organization runs schools for under-priviledged children. Every weekend Tanush has been spending two hours with elementary students over Zoom, engaging with them, teaching health-related lessons, and playing music with them. He has seen significant engagement from across thousands of miles from this group of students. Every week they focus on a different topic and Tanush creates slides to lead them through the conversation. Pragya Niketan has named Tanush their "Youth Ambassador". Tamanend is very proud of Tanush!
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Reminder--Join the Wellness/Snack Break Social 10:35--10:55 Daily
Hello! Are you looking for a way to connect with other kids from school while you are learning from home in the virtual setting? Mrs. Cammann is hosting a Wellness/Snack Break Social time each day from 10:35-10:55 during the virtual and hybrid learning models. Students are invited to join in to share some conversation and be connected with students across all grades. On Wednesdays, we will have games and trivia during this time! You are welcome to participate daily or pop in occasionally - no pressure. Maybe you will even get to know some new faces! Just click the link below to take part, socialize, and participate, while using our Tamanend ROAR to respect and include each other in this group. Enjoy your snack and unwind with us at 10:35 any day. Hope to see you there! Click here to join the meeting
Reminder--Order Your Tamanend Yearbook
It’s a great time to order your child’s 2020-2021 Tamanend Yearbook! If you order online prior to January 31, 2021 the cost of the full-color, hardback yearbook is on sale for $35 (plus tax). This is also the deadline if you’d like to add any additional personalization to your child’s yearbook. The price of the yearbook will increase to $37.50 from February 1st-March 31st, and finally to $40 for any yearbooks ordered up until April 30th. Please click the link here to take you to Jostens online ordering page. No preorders will be accepted in school – all orders must be done through Jostens. If you have any questions, please email Kristen Gerth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder--Tamanend Student Pictures
Picture re-take day will be held on January 21. Additionally, parents/guardians can call C&C Studios at 215-345-1851 or email email@example.com to schedule and in-studio appointment. Once your appointment has been made, we will email you the paperwork (Picture Order Form and Covid-19 Consent Form) needed to be filled out brought in at the time of your appointment. Should you wish to make an appointment for any other children that attend high school or elementary school please feel free to do so. All scheduled appointments will be given ample time to provide the utmost customer service and the time allotted will be based on the number of students per family being photographed. Please note that in-studio appointments will not be available for purchase online. All questions will be answered directly by C&C Studios at 215-345-1851 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For a copy of our Covid-19 Safety Protocol, please email us at the above email address and we send you one. Picture order forms are also available in our Lobby. The last day for appointments at C&C Studios is Friday, January 29.
Reminder--Tamanend Parent Book Club
Are you interested in global issues and news? Do you want to get involved in helping people in your community and around the globe? Join the Tamanend UNICEF Unite Club. This club was started this year and the purpose of this club is serve as a space to discuss global issues, engage students, help students use their voice to enforce positive change, make better thinkers and communicators, and much more. Students will have the opportunity to learn about child protection, education, water, sanitation and hygiene which may align with certain areas of study, allowing for a more insightful, understanding life outside of the classroom. The club will also provide students with an opportunity to gain leadership positions on campus. Through fundraising, awareness, and community service, we will be able to help the millions of children who need our help. Please fill out this interest form https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j0gLqp78hUGl4zhCIN8jyiSa13bnl15Kgt4n4oFy81FURjJUTThYNlM2M0xTN0pWNFU5MzNWUE9OQy4u if you are interested in the club. Meetings will be once every two weeks virtually A date for our first meeting will be sent out to those interested soon! If you have any questions feel free to contact Kalidindi.H055@student.cbsd.org , EORINSKI@cbsd.org , or AHIGGINS@cbsd.org.
Reminder--Mock Trial Team for 9th Graders
Do you want to improve your speaking and analysis skills? Do you like exploring legal issues of everyday events? Or, just want to spend some time hanging out with Mr. Sterner and Mr. Heisey? We are pleased to offer the Mock Trial Club at Tamamend for any interested 9th graders. It’s a great way to learn about the legal profession and debate your way through an actual case as either a lawyer or a witness, as well as build your skills for future participation and competition at CB South. Please e-mail Mr. Heisey (email@example.com) or Mr. Sterner (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested. Thank you!
Reminder--Tamanend Today Club
While we can’t currently run Tamanend Today, our live weekly TV show, we are still seeking interested students who enjoy broadcast media and video production. We have some ideas for production until we can go live again, and we would like your ideas for when we can go live. Until then, join us and be a part of producing meaningful, pre-recorded broadcasts and features. If media production is your thing, please reach out via e-mail to Mr. Sterner (email@example.com) or Mr. Landis (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be part of our Tamanend Today Club! Thank you!
QUOTES AROUND TAMANEND
HELPFUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Teachers will be taking attendance every class period during hybrid learning. If your child is unable to participate in hybrid learning during all or part of the day due to illness or medical appointment, please report your child's absence in any of the following ways:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone (Attendance hotline): 267-893-2920
Please note for Hybrid students: If your child is participating online from home due to illness on a day he or she is scheduled to be in the building, please contact Attendance. Your child will receive Attendance credit for participating online that day if he/she is logging on to Teams calls and participating in classes.
FROM OUR GUIDANCE OFFICE
- The course selection process has started for current 9th grade students. Students and parents/guardians will receive an email this morning, Friday, January 15th, that contains important information regarding the course selection process. 9th grade students have until February 7th to input their 10th grade courses into the Student Portal. As other grade levels work through program planning, updates will be provided.
- Child and Family Focus, Inc. will be hosting sessions titled “Strengthening Families Program: For Parents and Youth ages 10-14 (SFP 10-14)” which is an evidence-based program that began in 1993 and has been rigorously evaluated for 26 years! All families can learn from this program because families all have needs and challenges. This program highlights family strengths and helps to build stronger families through the practice of skills, tools, and strategies that can assist in children having bright futures, and creation of stronger and safer communities. Sessions are fun and interactive and can all be facilitated virtually! Please see the flier below for more details.
This Edition of Guidance Sparks--Discovering Your Spark
Wouldn’t it be great if we all knew what our “spark” was as a young child. For some that is the case, but for others, the time spent discovering their spark can be an adventure. As a parent, do you know your spark? When did you discover your spark? Understanding the concept of spark yourself is beneficial in discussing the idea with your child. Typically, 60% of children can identify their spark by the time they are 12 years old. This may or may not be the case for your child(ren). To encourage this discovery, find an opportunity when you and your child can have alone time to talk about it (e.g., driving in the car). Here are some helpful questions to start the conversation from the book Sparks by Peter L Benson, PhD (2008):
- What makes you jump out of bed in the morning?
- What makes you dread getting out of bed in the morning? (Eliminating ideas can be as important as discovery.)
- What day is your favorite day of the week? Why?
- If you could spend the whole day doing something you chose to do, what would that be?
- What makes you really happy?
- Who are your adult role models?
Among the most common sparks reported by children are the creative arts, athletics, and learning. Some children find their sparks in areas that are less common. It may be hard for some children, especially teenagers, to do something that few others do. It is important that we encourage our children to find their own spark and path.
For comments or questions, please contact Ginny Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FROM OUR LIBRARY
Reminder--Tamanend Library is Here for All Your Reading Needs!
All students have full access to all books in the Tamanend Library and to SORA, our digital collection. If you would like to check out a book, please watch the following videos in your Library Canvas Course to see how to access both physical and digital books. Books will be delivered to classrooms for Hybrid students and Online students can pick their books up in the front lobby of Tamanend!
FROM OUR INNOVATION AND TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Reminder--9th-12th Grade Student Technology Toolkit
FROM OUR HEALTH OFFICE
Please Contact Our Nurse For COVID-Related Issues and Concerns
Please notify our Certified School Nurse, Lauren Myrtetus, if you, someone in your household or your student have been diagnosed with COVID or if your student has been identified as a close contact of someone who has been diagnosed with COVID. Also, please notify Mrs. Myrtetus if your student is ill and is being tested for COVID.
If your students needs to quarantine, he or she should report directly to the nurse’s office on his or her first day back to school for a temperature and symptom screening.
Mrs. Myrtetus is happy to answer any questions related to COVID.
Reminder--Revised Guidelines Regarding Quarantine & Travelling Outside of Pennsylvania
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently revised their recommendations around the length of time that an individual should quarantine after exposure to a positive COVID-19 case. The district integrated these changes into our Health and Safety Plan. These changes will dictate the time that students are unable to attend school in-person and participate in school-sponsored activities and athletics following exposure and/or travel outside of Pennsylvania.
- Students must remain at home for 10 days—7 days with evidence of a negative COVID-19 test—from the date of last close personal contact with a positive individual. The COVID-19 test must have been administered at least 5 days after the exposure.
- The commonwealth has revised their travel restrictions to reflect the CDC’s new guidance. Pennsylvanians who are returning home after travel are required to either quarantine for 10 days without testing, or to quarantine for 7 days with a negative test on or after day 5 of quarantine. Please note, out of an abundance of caution, our health and safety plan protocols require all students and employees to refrain from in-person instruction and school-sponsored athletics and activities during the commonwealth’s travel quarantine period regardless of age.
Please find a revised flow chart that contains this new guidance for your reference below. If we continue to stay home when we are sick, wear face coverings consistently and appropriately, wash hands regularly, and stay six feet away from others as much as possible, we will all do our part to help one another stay heathy.
Reminder--What to Do If Your Child Is Sick
FROM OUR CAFETERIA
Reminder--Free & Reduced Lunch/Breakfast Application
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, field trips, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Coats for Our Kids
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
Nominate a Tamanend Student for the Boomerang Award
The Boomerang Youth Recognition Award, it is a district-wide monthly program which recognizes and honors youth in our community for exemplifying and living by one of the chosen Developmental Assets®. These Developmental Assets were identified as a set of skills, experiences, relationships and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults. Nominations for January's Boomerang Asset are due by Friday, 01/22. The chosen for January is Asset #33: Interpersonal Competence- Recognizing a young person who has empathy, sensitivity, and friendship skills. Please submit your nomination through this link.
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
TMS Parent Council
Thursday, Jan. 21st, 9am
This is an online event.
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900