April 11, 2016
Greetings from the Principal
Dear Riverview families,
On behalf of our staff, I would like to express our deep appreciation to all of the parents and grandparents who have contributed your time and talents to making Riverview such a strong school. It takes many hands to make light work, and that work is extremely rewarding and beneficial!
Because of the strong volunteer tradition among our families, teachers are able to spend their time focusing on providing quality instruction, and students are able to see their parents and other adults as role models within the school. Monday folder preparation, facilitating student reading groups in the library, spending the day at school as a Watch Dog, going on field trips to provide additional supervision, helping coordinate school functions, attending school events, helping in the classroom, and serving through the PTA. Parent volunteers support the school's mission in countless ways and helping to provide the resources to do what we know is good for children. For these, and a million other things, we are all truly grateful.
A few other reminders...
- Please follow all traffic rules when near or on school campus during school hours. This includes yielding to pedestrians, observing crosswalk supervisors' signals, and refraining from texting while driving. Thank you for helping keep our students safe!
- Please consider registering for our school's very first charity race. It will be a blast, and remember that all of the money goes to a good cause! Register online for Riverview’s 5K Run/Walk and Family Fun Run Saturday April 30 at WFSS5K.weebly.com
- I encourage all families to complete the Site Council building survey this week. Your time and response is greatly appreciated. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/923CK9F
- This week, the PTA's "Walk Across Kansas" Walk-A-Thon is on Friday, April 15. It is a healthy and entertaining way to get involved in an important fundraiser and make a difference for the benefit of the school. 25% of each classroom's donations go straight to the teacher for classroom use! If you haven't contributed to your student's classroom footprint and earn prizes, tomorrow is the deadline! Thank you for your support of this, and each fundraiser, which assists Riverview!
Make it a great week!
THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL HAS BEEN CHANGED TO FRIDAY MAY 20TH
The end of the school year for students will be Friday, May 20. Approved by the Board of Education on April 4, 2016.
The last day of school is changing by one day
The Board of Education on Monday, April 4, approved a plan that moves the last day of school for students and staff one day earlier than originally published.
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the last day of class for students will shift by one day to Friday, May 20. The final day for teachers will also shift by one day under this plan, with their last day occurring on Monday, May 23. >> See the revised calendar
The district is able to alter the end of the school year because it has only used one (1) emergency closure day during the current school session, which occurred on November 3.
The district plans a typical school year to meet state requirements for student contact time, professional development, teacher workdays, and holidays/breaks. As part of this planning, it builds into the calendar two days for the purpose of Emergency Closures or Inclement Weather Days, as they are sometimes known. In Kansas, the state will forgive two school days for emergency reasons if the school district uses two days in the annual calendar for that purpose. This is how we receive four (4) emergency closure days per school year. Because the district has used one day for this purpose, it only has one available day to consider for a revised End of Year Schedule. This may be familiar to parents because the Board of Education revised the last day of school in May 2015. That was a year in which the district did not use any of its emergency closure days.
This recommendation would not only provide savings in transportation and fuel costs (approximately $15,000), but the district could realize additional savings in utilities by allowing teachers and support staff to leave on May 23 instead of May 24. We estimate potential savings for utilities for one day at approximately $3,265. The school district would pay teachers and support staff per their agreements, as those amounts are already included in the current fiscal budget. This would not be an additional cost to the district because we pay teachers and support staff when we issue an Emergency Closure Day.
The Board of Education reserves the right to alter the calendar to respond to unforeseen circumstances.
William Allen White Reading logs...
Attention 3rd-5th Graders participating in the William Allen White Reading Program! All reading logs are due to Mrs. Hallier no later than Thursday, April 21, 2016 to receive your medal! The date has been changed due to students having no school on Friday, April 22nd. No late forms will be accepted. Reading log forms can be found on Mrs. Hallier’s website at http://riverviewlibrary.weebly.com/ She is looking forward to giving out lots of reading medals at the Awards Ceremony in May!
A Note From Nurse Kerry...
It’s allergy season!
Allergy Sufferer Tips:
- Take a shower after playing outside
- Wash hands after playing outside at recess.
- Wash your sheets/towels if it has been a while.
- Take allergy medication at night. Most medication is either 12 or 24 hours and should not need to be administered while at school.
We do not stock allergy medication here at Riverview. If your child would need eye drops for allergies while at school please supply me the original bottle and box, unexpired medication. I will also need a note from a parent as to when they were last administered and when you want them administered here at school. I will need to know if the medication will stay with me at school or does it need to go back home with the child at the end of the day.
Please make sure your child has had eye drops prior to me administering them for the first time.
- Thursday, 14th - Elementary Choral Festival at MVHS, 7:30 pm
- Friday, 15th - PTA Walk-a-thon
- Friday, 22nd, - NO SCHOOL- Professional In-Service Day
- Monday, 25th - PTA General Meeting (Elections 16-17 school year) 7:00 pm
- Friday, 29th - Soccer Clinic
- Saturday, April 30 - Riverview's 5K Run and Family Fun Walk @ Shawnee Mission Park (Shelter #2; 8:30 am) Register here: http://wfss5k.weebly.com/
Walk-A-Thon Schedule Friday, April 15
Below is a list of times that the grade levels will be participating in the Walk-A-Thon.
9:15-9:55 3rd Grade
10:10-10:50 5th Grade
11:15-11:45 AM KDG and Full Day K
11:45-1:00 LUNCH BREAK
1:05-1:45 1st Grade
2:05-2:45 2nd Grade
2:45-3:25 4th Grade
Don’t forget to check out the USD 232 Electronic Flyers webpage for information on events and programs offered by outside agencies. http://www.usd232.org/pages/DeSotoUSD232/DistrictInfo/forms_documents/Electronic_Flyers
*Walk-a-thon is FRIDAY. To be eligible for the great raffle prizes, turn your money in TUESDAY (tomorrow!). To volunteer, please go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090c4dabac2aab9-walk
*Reading Day is TUESDAY. Congratulations to the March winners:
*New reading incentive from SkyZone coming home this week. Students read five books have a parent sign and take the book mark to Skyzone for thirty minutes of jump time ! The bookmark states teacher signature but per SkyZone a parent signature should be sufficient .
*T-Bones Reading Program Sheets are due FRIDAY! Turn them in for T-Bones tickets!
*SAVE THE DATE!!
- RE PTA’s 2nd Annual Soccer Clinic April 29th Look for more information next week!
- SPRING FUN NIGHT May 6th More information will come home in the next couple of weeks!
4/12 Walk-A-Thon Money Due to be eligible for raffles
4/15 T-Bones Reading Program Sheets Due
4/29 Soccer Clinic
5/6 Spring Fun Night
Riverview Elementary PTA