I Don't Need Your Help!
Peer Status, Race, and Gender During Peer Writing
Dr. Mary Christianakis
How Her Research Began
How can teachers make group work beneficial?
Dr. Christianakis gives the following advice:
pay attention to how students work together
note hierarchies in your classroom
remember that students face inequalities outside of school/in the larger society
create equitable learning relationships among students
How can everyone get involved?
- listen to your children
- advocate for equal opportunities for participation
- encourage kids to ask for what they need
- provide teachers with opportunity to discuss data much deeper than test scores
- encourage teachers to discuss children as social individuals
- think about identification systems for gifted students
- move past test scores to determine effective teaching
- bring social life of children to the floor