Room 212 News #17
January 10, 2016
Please have your child practice the highlighted portions over the next week.
Motion is all around us.
- What does it take to get something moving? (a push or a pull)
- How can we change motion?
- Why can it be difficult to move something across one surface, but not another? (friction)
- Is friction ever helpful, or useful to us?
Upcoming Field Trips
On February 24, our class is visiting Kensington Metropark. This is the environmental education trip that all first grade classes in the district attend. We will need chaperones for this field trip. The trip is from 9:30-2:30 and we spend most of the day outside. This field trip is typically only canceled if temperature or wind chill is below zero.
I was reminded by a parent...if you wish to attend a field trip, please make sure you have completed a background check. I can send the sheet home with your student, but it needs to be handed in to the office in person (so you can show your ID).
Future Field Trips...chaperones welcome.
May 20 - Henry Ford Museum
NWEA winter testing
Introducing the "Sharing Bag"
Students will come home about once every two-three weeks with a "sharing bag" in their backpack. S/he should select something to share with the class the following day.
- The item should not be of great sentimental or monetary value.
- The item should not be electronic.
- The item should not be related to violence (toy gun).
- Students can bring in a piece of art, writing, or a book.
- Students can teach the class something instead of bringing an object. For example, a joke, a word in another language, a movement, or physical skill. In this case, just put a note in the bag so I can help the student remember what h/she wanted to share.
- Students can bring in 3 clues and allow the class to guess the object.
The student with the sharing bag will have a few minutes to tell about the object. The class will ask 3 questions using Who, What, Where, When, Why.
The bag in your child's backpack serves as the reminder that his/her turn has arrived. This is a great way to encourage the practice of having your student empty the backpack each night - looking for papers, folders, wet gloves, old snacks...and the sharing bag.
We look forward to learning more about our classmates through the "sharing bag!"
Dates to Remember:
- 1/5 NWEA winter testing begins
- 1/15 9:20am MLK assembly at Bryant
- 1/18 No School for MLK day
- 2/1 No School for students
- 2/8 NAAPID - parent involvement day