Virtual Reality in YOUR Classroom
Now available for teacher checkout!
WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO?
Let's start with a question-- If you could take your students anywhere, where would you go? Keep in mind, you're limited only by your imagination. Would you take them under the sea to explore a coral reef? What if you could take a peek at one artist's rendition of a future moon base? Or maybe you'd prefer to travel deep into the rainforest to explore wildlife and vegetation, or to the top of a volcano during an eruption!
Virtual Reality now makes these trips possible without leaving home. Does this replace a real field trip, or the prospect of world travel? Of course not. Is it still an engaging learning experience? YES!
There are immense benefits for the use of VR in education including a deeper, more immersive experience for books, science simulations, field trips and even assistive technology.
We now have 9 Virtual Reality viewers available for checkout. We hope to build this into a classroom set someday, but for now, this is a great amount for getting started with VR in your classroom. You could opt to divide kids into small groups to share and pass one viewer, or have them set up as a station for students to visit.
Want to see it in action? Check out the video below. We had the opportunity to test the devices on several Grade 3 students in Mrs. Macemon, Wheatley and Mallak's classes. Students were able to tour AND manipulate the solar system! They could grab and rotate any planet to view it from all angles. Learning can be so magical!
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN OUR VR KIT?
AVAILABLE VR APPS
1. Google Expeditions
Click on the spreadsheet below to explore available trips. You can also download the free app on your iOS or Android device to search for expeditions you'd like to take!
Check out the poster below with step by step instructions on how to get started.
2. ViewMaster Virtual Reality
- Solar System: Rocket to every planet in the solar system and stand on their surface.
- Spacecraft: Examine 3D models of the spacecraft mankind has used to travel beyond the bounds of the earth.
- Star Map: Surround yourself with glittering star maps and trace constellations across the night sky.
WILDLIFE: This app has three scenes to choose from. They allow you to explore panoramic 3D environments, play adventure photographer mini-games and access videos, photos and notes from National Geographic's vast archives.
- Outback: Explore the blistering Australian Outback in search of kangaroos and koalas.
- Savanna: Take a safari across the African Savanna to observe elephants, giraffes, and lions on the prowl.
- Amazon: Venture into the heat of the Amazon to hang out with sloths and jaguars.
DESTINATIONS: This app has three scenes to choose from. They allow you to take a trip to some of the most spectacular destinations in the world. Explore stunning 3D environments, discover fascinating facts and even turn back time to see how the historic landmarks looked in the past.
- New York: Set foot on Liberty Island and gaze up at the towering Statue of Liberty.
- Chichen Itza: Travel to the Yucatan Peninsula and explore the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza.
- London: Step inside the walls of the Tower of London and explore the Tower Bridge.
3. Google Cardboard Camera and Google Street View
HOW DO I CHECK OUT THE VR KIT?
Pick an option below.
- Email me with a topic you're interested in using VR for and a timeline for when you'd like to use them in class and I'll get back to you to set something up!
- Book a session with me. I'll bring a viewer in, and we can explore some options together. You'll get a sense for what VR might look like in your classroom, and we can discuss a timeframe in person.
Want to view when the kit is checked out? View the VR Kit Calendar here, and click the plus sign in the bottom right corner to add it to your Google Calendar. At this time, I am the only one able to add events, so please email me if you'd like the kit.