3 for Thursday
February 11, 2016
1. Whiteboard Activities for ELA
2. Editing: Display a passage with errors and have students use the annotate on desktop feature to edit. Want a copy of each group's work? Teach them to take a screenshot with the Windows Snipping Tool and email it to you as an attachment (this feature is part of the tool.)
3. Parts of Speech: Display a passage and ask students to highlight particular parts of speech with specific colors.
4. Compare and Contrast: Complete a compare and contrast map using paired texts, two characters, or two settings.
5. Poetry: Create poetry with WordMover.
2. Whiteboard Activities for Science and Social Studies
2. Maps: Ask students to label a map according to specific criteria. National Geographic's online MapMaker tool has basic drawing and shape tools as well as a selection of drag and drop markers that are easy to use. Students' annotated maps can be saved as images, PDFs, or as an .xml file that can be re-opened.
3. Jeopardy Games: Students can play a game to review a topic for an upcoming test. There are free games available online on a variety of topics, like this fourth grade game on Explorers. You can also make your own at Jeopardy Labs or find a Power Point Jeopardy Template available online.
3. Whiteboard Activities for Math
2. Interactive Tools: Have students practice a review skill by using one of the Teacher Tools at dreambox.com.
3. Resource Library Tools: Use some of the tools available within Active Inspire to practice basic skills. For example: Have students use the dice tool to practice basic facts. To extend to upper grades, students can roll 5 dice and record different equations/answers that can be created (all while following the correct order of operations.)
4.Number Grid: Display a number grid on your board and have students complete a pre-determined task. So many possibilities here! For example: Highlighting multiples of a certain number or solving basic math facts, then coloring in the answer on the grid to see who can "claim" the most spaces.