P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
October 23rd, 2022
📸A special thanks to all the parent volunteers that helped out for picture day on Monday and Wednesday! It was success! Thank you to Mrs. Ngai for organizing this event.
🚗Stop-Drop-and-Go at the Main:
We need volunteers to help out at stop-drop-and-go. Please reach out the PTA if you would like to volunteer.
Also, we need you to drive safely while waiting for someone to open your car door and let the students out. Please do not cut others off. We need your help with this.
🛑ConEdison has started working on Hartland Avenue in front of the school. It should not interfere with arrival or dismissal.
🎃Thank you PTA for sponsoring our Pumpkin Patch at the Annex! Our students loved it!
◀We had to reschedule the Planetarium visit due to equipment malfunction. The PTA Cultural Arts and Enrichment committee is working hard to get this rescheduled for all of our students tentatively for March 27th and 28th.
🎃Halloween parades will be at 9 a.m. in both schoolyards. Please see letter below. If it is raining, the parades will be indoors for students only. I will be sure to share photos!
🗨PTA School Store is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday mornings from 7:40-7:55 a.m.
📅November 3rd is a half day and dismissal will begin at 11:20 a.m. Parent-Teacher Conferences will be held on November 3rd virtually. There is NO Blueberry or MYAP on this day. ALL students will need to be picked up at 11:20 a.m. Please see Mrs. Perez--Fung's message below.
😁The P.S 188 Snack Shack is now selling water. Everything from the Snack Shack is $1. All proceeds will be used for supplies and events for the students.
📖November's Book of the Month is A Little Spot of Confidence. We will be having Book of the Month Assemblies for all grades as well as activities in the classrooms throughout the month to highlight the DESSA Competencies the book highlights which are: optimistic thinking, self-awareness, goal directed behavior, personal responsibility, and self-management. Take a look at our newsletter linked below.
💻Virtual STEM Night for grades 3-5 on December 1st! Sign up below!
Have a question? Contact us:
A Week at P.S. 188Q
Thursday, November 3rd is a 1/2 Day of School
Please be reminded, both day and evening Parent Teacher Conferences will be held on Thursday, November 3rd virtually through Zoom💻. Additionally Thursday, November 3rd is also a half day for all children. Dismissal for both the annex and main building will be at 11:20 a.m.
- Afternoon conferences for both the annex and main building will be from 12:20 to 2:20 p.m.
- Evening conferences for both the annex and main building will be from 4:30 to 7:00 p.m.
- Teachers will reach out to families about making appointments.
Cold lunch will be served as grab and go bags at dismissal.
There will be NO IN-SCHOOL AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS in the building on Thursday, November 3rd. Please make sure you have made arrangements to have your child picked up at the end of the school day.
Parent Teacher Conferences Virtual -November 3rd 12:20-2:20 and 4:30-7:00 p.m.
Parent Teacher Conferences with Mrs. Winick- Guidance Counselor
Message from Mrs. Aimee Winick, Guidance Counselor
I'm going to be engaging in PTC on Thursday, 11/03, from 12:20pm-2:20pm (virtual appointments and in-person at P.S. 173 with appointments) and 4:30pm-6:40pm (virtual appointments). Parents can email me (email@example.com) to set up an appointment and a preferred time, and then I will email back to confirm and give a link.
Parent Teacher Conferences with Mrs. Hollis- Social Worker
During the Fall Parent Teacher Conferences, on Thursday, November 3rd from 12:20 p.m. to 2:20 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., if you would like to speak to Mrs. Corey Hollis, School Social Worker, please send an email for Mrs. Hollis to set up a phone or Zoom conference with you. Please make sure to include your child’s name and class. Her email is listed below.
If you would like to speak with me, email me and I will set up a phone or Zoom conference with you. My email address is below.
Mrs. Corey Hollis, School Social Worker – CHollis@schools.nyc.gov
Myrna Perez-Fung, Parent Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and enjoy the day.
Parent Teacher Conference with Ms. Satchwell-School Based Support Team Social Worker
If you would like to set up a meeting via zoom to speak with the social worker of the School Based Support Team, Camille Satchwell during the Parent Teacher Conferences, please contact Ms. Satchwell at email@example.com to schedule an appointment on 11/3/2022 between 12:20PM and 2:20PM or 4:30PM and 7PM.
Parent Teacher Conference with Ms. Metzger-School Based Support Team School Psychologist
My name is Caren Metzger and I am the School Psychologist at PS 188. I will be responding to requests to meet via email on Thursday Nov 3 during the hours of 12:20 and 2:20. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please leave your preferred way to conference (zoom or phone), your child's name and class and brief concern. I look forward to meeting with you.
Thank you in advance,
Cluster Teacher Parent Teacher Sign Ups✅
Please see the links below to sign-up and speak with a cluster teacher on Parent Teacher Conference Day, Thursday, November 3rd. If times are unavailable, please reach out to the teachers to set up a time on Wednesdays during Parent Engagement from 2:20-2:50 p.m.
📢Please note: Physical Education
For PE, please look to see whether Mrs. Gambeski or Mrs. Zargarov (Mrs. Z) teaches your child before you sign up for an appointment. They do share some classes. If your child has both teachers, you can sign up to see either one of the teachers.
PE with Mrs. Gambeski: (Classes 1-101, 1-102, 1-118, 2-201, 2-202, 2-203, 3-213, 3-216, 3-217, 4-313, 4-317, 4-318, 5-301, 5-303, 5-302)
PE with Mrs. Zargarov:
Stem with Mr. David:
Art with Mrs. Dykeman:
Music with Mrs. Block:
📌Parent Teacher Conferences--What Can I Ask My Child's Teacher?
Middle School Admissions
Here is the information for the Department of Education Admissions information sessions:
All NYC families of current fifth-grade students are invited to join us for a live virtual information session about applying to middle school. After the presentation, we’ll respond to your questions. Each event will be virtual, so you can join from anywhere!
During each online event, we will discuss:
- How to access your MySchools.nyc account. MySchools is the Department of Education’s online school directory and application system.
- How to learn about your child’s middle school options.
- How to apply and how offers are made.
The content of each event is the same, but different interpretation services will be provided at different events, as follows:
- October 27, 5pm to 6pm | Event held in English. Interpretation provided in: Bengali, Korean, Spanish
- October 28, 1pm to 2pm | Event held in English. Interpretation provided in: Arabic, French, Russian
- November 1, 5pm to 6pm | Event held in English. Interpretation provided in: Chinese (Mandarin), Haitian Creole, Urdu
How to join:
- Each event will be hosted live. Join us on Zoom at the event’s start time here by clicking here: bit.ly/2022FallMSEvents.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Check your email or schools.nyc.gov/Middle two business days before the event: we’ll send you a message that includes this same Zoom link and the password that you’ll need to join, as well as phone numbers to call for interpretation in provided languages.
Can’t attend, or want to learn more?
- Visit schools.nyc.gov/Middle. A captioned recording with translations will be available on our website two weeks after the first event.
Virtual STEM Night for Grades 3-5💻
Enter NYC Respect for All Essay & Poster Contest
District 26 Parent Workshop- Where's the Bus? 🚍
Join District 26 virtually to learn more about NYC School Bus App. The NYC Department of Education has partnered with Via to provide real-time, GPS technology in all school buses that serve District 26 schools. The goal is to make it easy for families to verify a student’s location when they are riding the school bus and provide near real-time pickup and drop-off times.
The Office of Pupil Transportation and Via representatives will introduce and explain the NYC School Bus App to our families and answer any questions. See flyer for more information.
Updated Grading Policy☑️
- October 31st: Halloween Parade 9:00 a.m. in school yards
- November 1st: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 4-313; 4-317; 4-318
- November 2nd: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 5-304; 4-316; 5-301; Coffee and Conversations with Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz @ 10 a.m. via Zoom; SLT Meeting via Zoom 6:30 p.m.
- November 3rd 1/2 day of school- students dismissed by 11:20 a.m.; Parent Teacher Conferences via Zoom 12:20-2:20 p.m. and 4:30-7:00 p.m.
- November 4th: Morgan Library in-classroom session for 5-303 and 5-302; Respect for All Poster and Essay contest due to Mrs. Nartowicz
- November 8th: Election Day- Students do not attend school; DESSA administration begins; PTA Sponsored Bake Sale
- November 10th: CDEC meeting 7:00 p.m. TBD
- November 11th: No School Veteran's Day
- November 15th: Parent DEI Meeting @ 9:30 a.m. virtually
- November 16th: PTA Meeting Virtual 7:00 p.m.
- November 18th: Student DEI group meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library
- November 21st: Photo Retake Day
- November 24th-25th: Thanksgiving Break
- November 29th and 30th: Scholastic Book Fair in both Annex and Main
- December 1st: Grades 3-5 STEM Night from 5:45-7:00 p.m.; Middle School Application closes
- December 2nd: Marking Period 1 ends
- December 12/5-12/09: Computer Science for All week
- December 6th Parent DEI Committee Meeting @ 9:30 a.m.
- December 7th SLT Meeting TBD
- December 8th: CDEC Meeting 7:00 p.m. TBD
- December 15th: Report Cards Available on NYCSA
- December 16th Student DEI group meeting @ 7:30 a.m. in Library
- December 21st: PTA Meeting on Zoom at 7:00 p.m. virtually