A newsletter for LMES teachers, parents, and students
May 2016 & Summer Reading Edition!
Mark your calendars!
Saturday, June 4th, 9am-4pm
SC State Museum
The State Library is proud to announce award-winning authors Jarrett Krosoczka (Lunch Lady series) and Lauren Castillo will be featured at StoryfestSC 2016—the state’s FREE summer reading kick-off event. Events include presentations and book signings by each author, storytelling for all ages, crafts, face painting, and visits from literacy friends Cocky and the Clemson Tiger. Visit storyfestsc.org for more information.
Lexington County Library
The summer reading program runs June 1 - August 6. Register starting May 25 in person at your local library or online at www.lex.lib.sc.us/summerreading. Log your reading and activities starting June 1, and earn points. You can even log your points online. Collect your prizes at the library every time you complete a level. See their calendar of events for reading activities.
- South Carolina Aquarium - June 14th from 2:00-3:00 (Chapin branch)
- Columbia Marionette Theatre: The Tortoise and the Hare - June 21st from 2:00-3:00 (Chapin branch)
- Chad Crews: Ready, Set, READ - June 28th from 2:00-3:00 (Chapin branch)
- Tim Sonefelt: Great Reading Race - July 12th from 2:00-3:00 (Chapin branch)
- Riverbanks Zoo: Chain Reaction - July 19th from 2:00-3:00 (Chapin branch)
- Porkchop Productions: The Tortoise and the Hare - July 26th from 2:00-3:00 (Chapin branch)
- Summer Learning Challenge Kickoff - June 2nd from 2:00-4:00 (Ballentine branch)
- Sarah Dippity - June 9th from 11:00-12:00 (Ballentine branch)
- Show and Tell Book Club - June 15th from 3:00-3:45 (Ballentine branch)
- Read to a Dog - June 16th from 3:00-4:30 (Ballentine branch)
Historic Columbia Traveling Trunk - June 17th from 11:00-12:00 (Richland Main)
- Square Up! - July 9th from 3:00-3:45 (Ballentine branch)
- All Hands Productions - Billy Goats Gruff and Other Stuff - July 12th from 3:30-4:15 (Ballentine Community Center on Bickley Rd)
- LEGO Madness - July 18th from 11:00-11:45 (Ballentine branch)
- Learn Freely Fest - July 30th from 10:00-2:00 (Richland Main)
- Fold It! - August 3rd from 11:00-11:45 (Ballentine branch)
Raz-Kids is an online reading site with books tailored to your child’s reading level. (The reading level you see on Raz-Kids is NOT the same as your child’s level on their report card. Raz-Kids uses a different leveling system.) Your child can even record themself reading the book and then listen back to see how their reading sounds.
All students were introduced to Raz-Kids in computer lab, and their log-in information was sent home. If you have any questions, please contact Kelly Reese (firstname.lastname@example.org) over the summer for assistance. Readers who earn the bronze (300 minutes), silver (600 minutes), and gold (900 minutes) will be recognized next school year!
Show Proof of Summer Reading!
- 2016-17 SC Book Award Nominees
- ALSC Summer Reading Lists -- from the Association of Library Service to Children
- Day by Day SC Calendar -- daily activities and reading suggestions
- Digital Texts -- Favorites include Wonderopolis and Epic!
- FollettShelf (our school's eBook & audiobook collection). If you have questions about your child's log-in information, please contact Sharon Matney (email@example.com) over the summer for assistance.
Your Library Media Specialist
Mrs. Matney earned her Masters+30 in Library & Information Science and has been the media specialist at LMES for the past 5 years. She loves reading, research, and technology. Her favorite authors and illustrators include Peter Brown, Mo Willems, Meghan McCarthy, Amy Rosenthal, Jon Scieszka, Gary Schmidt, and many more!
The mission of the Lake Murray Elementary Media Program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information and to empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, ethical users of information, and productive users of technology.