Stonybrook Middle School
Knightly News -February 2019
Ready to Learn Be Responsible Be Respectful Be Safe
I LOVE TO READ MONTH STARTS Monday, February 4th
Follow us on Twitter to find out what we're up to! @StonybrookHSD
1. 100 Hours of Reading - Each homeroom is being challenged to read for 100 hours this month.
2. Story Quilt - Students will get one square of paper to make a visual representation of their favorite book. All the quilt pieces will be put together to make a paper quilt, with borders and all. We hope to have lots of quilts around the school!
3. Library "Bookmark" - Students will have the opportunity to design a bookmark. Winners will be chosen from all entries received, and those bookmarks will then be used for the remainder of the year as Library due date slips.
4. Book Swap - Students will have the opportunity to bring in gently used books and those students will have the chance to get to choose a "new" gently used book from those brought in by other students.
You can support your child by encouraging daily reading at home.
A Change in the Canteen Menu
Hot Lunch Menu
> Chicken Noodle Soup and bun from Main Bread & Butter, $3
> Pasta (Mac n' Cheese) from Main Bread & Butter, $3.50
** Note: Hot Dogs are no longer on the menu
> Little Caesar's Pizza, $2/slice
> DQ Cheeseburger, $3
Other items are available in the canteen, such as frozen dinners, granola bars, chocolate milk, etc. These items range in price from 50 cents to $2. These items do not need to be pre-ordered.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Thursday, February 7th
-Pistons players coming to read to some classes and play a ball hockey game
Wednesday, February 13th
-First Annual Celebration of the Arts SMS! All are invited to join us in the SMS Gym at 7:00 p.m. for a presentation from our Grade 7 and 8 Art students
Thursday, February 14th
-Noon hour "Student Leadership Sockhop"
Friday, February 15th
-Winter Activity Day for everyone!
Monday, February 18th
-Louis Riel Day (No Classes)
Thursday, February 21st and Friday, February 22nd
-HSD Inservice Days (No Classes)
Wednesday, February 27th
-Jazz Band going to Jazz Festival in Winnipeg
Valentine's Day Sock Hop!
Cost: Pair of new socks
What is available:
* Canteen with drinks and snacks for purchase
* Photo Booth in the foyer - have your picture taken with your friends! (Cost: one picture for $2 or three pictures for $5)
All proceeds will be donated to our Activity Structure fund.
Basketball Is Underway!
Ball Hockey Tournament
February Knights of the Month
Grade 8 - Bauer K
Grade 7 - Grace L
Grade 6 - Brennan D
Grade 5 - Liam P
Thank you for your positive contributions to our school.
Grade 8 Camp Cedarwood
Efforts are underway to re-schedule the Grade 8 Camp experience, and information will be given to the Grade 8 students and parents as soon as details are worked out.
Thank you for your understanding and look for further announcements in the future!
Upcoming Event for Band Students
There will be some fundraising opportunities for our band students to help them offset the cost of this Band Camp. In February there will be a Country Perogy fundraiser. Watch for this opportunity!