The Powerful U.S Growth
Great Facts About The Louisiana Purchase
Why was the Louisiana Purchase important.
- The Purchase gave us access to the two longest rivers in the U.S.! This gave us access to the ocean to transport and receive goods from other countries.
- It doubled the size of the U.S. for more resources.
- Originally, Robert Livingston and James Monroe were supposed to purchase the port of Louisiana and part of Florida from the Napoleon of France. Instead they bought the rest of the land west of Missouri until the mountains, for 15 Million dollars. This was because Napoleon was in a great need of money to start a war with Great Britain.
- We wanted to see if the river went all the way to the ocean. Unfortunately it did not.
- After the mountains, Spain technically owned the land.