Week at a Glance
- Teach week 17 of pacing guide
- Display case in lobby--grade 2
- 7:30 a.m.--grade level collaboration
- 8:30 a.m.--report card grades due
- Report cards issued
- 2:45-3:30 p.m.--staff development session in MP room
- 6:00-7:30 p.m.--girls basketball practice
- mClass reading and IRI begins
- Keys to Comprehension workshop @ ENCO--Raihanne, Tara, Colby, & Karen
- 2:45-3:45 p.m.--Book Buddies
- 6;00-7:30 p.m.--Girls basketball practice
- 6:30 p.m.--PAC meeting
- Jeans Day fundraiser (See below for details.)
- 7:30 a.m.--programming committee meeting--Colby, Sheri, Faith, Katy, & Karen
- 9:00 a.m.--spelling bee preliminaries in cafe
- 2:45 p.m.--RTI meetings
- boys basketball practice????
- 7:30 a.m.--case conference--Sheri, Tara, & Karen
- 7:30 a.m.--Tiger Tech Team meeting--Lance
- 3:30 p.m.--Gr. 3 weekly notes due
- NEW SRO: Johnny Richie, our new SRO, officially begins his work at WC this week. He has been in the school a few times already getting acclimated to the building. Many of you may have met him when he last visited right before Christmas break.
- STAFF DEVELOPMENT: At our staff development session on Tuesday, Faith will be sharing some instructional strategies she learned at a recent conference for raising rigor in instruction.
- JANUARY 20: January 20 is slated as a voluntary professional development day. Plans are still in the works; however, the first session of the day will be spent on school safety. We will have a couple officers speak mainly about what to do if there was an active shooter in the building and procedures we should follow. This will be a follow up session to the training given by area law enforcement last January.
- STAFF DINNER: Reminder, our staff dinner will be held on Friday, January 17, at the St. James Restaurant in Avilla. The cost of the dinner is $19 per person which includes a family style meal, tax, and gratuity. Please RSVP via email to Lindsay by Monday, January 13. If you sign up and then are unable to attend, please let Lindsay know by 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 16. Cancellations require at least a 24 hour notice otherwise we are charged for the meal. Since we will be writing one check for the bill, please pay Lindsay the amount due by 8:30 a.m. Friday, January 17. Make checks payable to WC Staff Fund.
- JEANS DAY FUNDRAISER: As a way to raise funds for Junior Achievement, I am offering an opportunity for staff to wear jeans on Thursday in exchange for a donation to Junior Achievement. Each year we have a number of JA volunteers present lessons in classrooms that benefit our students. Sixth graders are able to attend BizTown in Ft. Wayne as part of their economics curriculum too. JA relies on donations to help support the many services they provide, much of which is free to schools. If you would like to participate in the fundraiser, I would ask for a minimum donation of $2 to wear jeans this Thursday. I will have a donation envelope by my mailbox in the office. Thanks in advance for your participation!
Common Core Assessment Samples
Below is a link to fourth grade sample test items for Eng/LA. Be sure to read each question carefully and note the standards that the question addresses as well as how it is assessed. The commentary for each sample question provides some good information regarding scoring and the construction of the question. The last question asks students to write an essay with specific questions to answer regarding characters in the passages they read. Look specifically at the items students would have to address in their essay. Are our students required to do tasks such as this routinely in our classrooms?