May 17, 2021 Principal Message
Jeffreys Grove Magnet Elementary
Dear Jeffreys Grove Families,
It's hard to believe the end of the school year is just 4 weeks away. We are excited to announce that we will be hosting a modified Super Kids Day on Friday, May 21st. Students have worked hard at home and at school and it's time to celebrate their accomplishments. Coach Smith and our wonderful Specialists have games and activities planned for our students whether they are in-person or in the virtual academy. We cannot wait to see how excited students are to enjoy a little fun before EOG's. Thank you for your continued support and Go Eagles!
- May 25-June 10 - End of Grade Tests grades 3-5
- May 26 - remote learning day - asynchronous school day (no live)
- May 31 - Memorial Day Holiday - no school
- June 10 - last day of school for students
End of Year technology updates
- Students returning to any WCPSS school will keep their currently checked out Chromebooks. We will not collect Chromebooks from any student who is returning to any WCPSS school. We will only collect these from students who are withdrawing from WCPSS.
- All hotspots must be collected by the end of the school year. Information regarding hotspot availability for next year will be shared at a later date by our district.
- Students who are issued a WCPSS Chromebook must bring it with them to school daily.
- All students who do not have a district device will be assigned one at the beginning of the 2021-22 school year. This is a district initiative - devices and procedures will be provided.
Accessing Instruction While Absent
If your child must quarantine due to having a symptom of illness, exposure or a positive COVID diagnosis, we will temporarily place them in a Virtual Academy classroom so that they can access their work. They are only expected to access their work if they are feeling well enough to do so! If they are ill and cannot complete their work, please let the teacher know and they will work to allow them to make it up upon their return.
Health measures for 21-22 school year
While there is no way for us to know at this time what health precautions will be required in August, we’re preparing for a traditional start. We recognize the difficult challenge this creates for families needing to make an informed decision now about how their student will attend school next year. Whether you choose to attend school in person or remotely through the Virtual Academy, we are committed to providing every student with relevant, rigorous, and meaningful learning every day that aligns with North Carolina’s grade-level standards.
The health and safety of our students is always our top priority. We will continue to adhere to any health measures required by the NC Department of Health and Human Services and consult with Wake County Public Health to determine what precautions are needed in our school to keep our students, staff, and community healthy in a safe and welcoming environment.
Virtual Academy Families - Materials Collection Schedule
We will have a student materials collection on May 26th from 11:00 to 12:30 for students enrolled in our Virtual Academy this year.
Students will keep Chromebooks, headphones and whiteboards over the summer unless they are leaving our school district. If you have any questions please contact or Instructional Facilitator, Odry Melendez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EBS, Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade - Bus Loop
- 3rd, 4th and 5th grade - Carpool Loop (front of the school)
Spotlight on Ms. Barnes
Ms. Barnes has not only been passionate about teaching music but has also been enthusiastically instilling the love of all genres of music in her students at Jeffreys Grove.
She has made every lesson fun with her unique personality and encouraging approach.
We have been so fortunate to have had her for 21 years at JGE.
Thank you so much Ms. Barnes. You have taught us how to love music and we will always cherish that. You have touched our hearts one note at a time!
Hello JG Community,
It's hard to believe it's May, and I hope you are enjoying the warmer weather!
In my newsletter below, you will find information about my May lessons with classes, our Positivity Project focus, and a few resources. As we approach the time of EOGs, I know some students are experiencing some test anxiety. One resource lists some signs of test anxiety and helpful strategies to help with it. Another resource has information about some summer camps. Hope you have a great week!
SOAR on Eagles,
- Looking for ways to support JGMES? Click here to register your student(s) for the Spring No Fuss Fundraiser and share their custom link with friends and family to ensure that each Jeffreys Grove classroom is outfitted with the same quality technology being installed in new schools.
- Looking to get more involved at JGMES? You came to the right place! We are in need of volunteers year round to help make JGMES the best school it can be. Please take a moment to fill out our PTA Volunteer Interest Survey. Thank you in advance; we couldn't do this without YOU! Note: Completing this survey does not obligate you to do anything.
- Looking for ways to get connected with the JG PTA and other Jeffreys Grove families? Join Memberhub! The Jeffreys Grove PTA uses Memberhub as a means of communication with families throughout the year. Cheri Thomas, the JG PTA President, sends out a weekly newsletter, providing "save the date" information, fundraising updates, advocacy information, and other school-wide information. Please click here to join Jeffreys Grove Memberhub."
Click here to read past PTA newsletters.