Joleene Cabangon A4
Main Agricultural Products Grown in South Korea
- Fruits (Tangerines, pears, persimmons, and strawberries)
- Vegetables (especially cabbages)
Native Customs and Beliefs
- The meal usually is served before socializing begins.
- People pass items and pour drinks with the right hand.
- To show respect, the left hand is used to support the forearm or wrist of the right when passing items to older people and those of a higher social class.
- Eating while walking on the street is not considered appropriate for adults.
- Chuseok (추석) is the biggest and most important holiday in Korea.
- It is the 'Great Autumn Harvest'
- Korean Families gather to pray for their ancestors.
Lunar New Year (Seollal)
- Food during Seollal is taken very seriously. Families spend the entire day before Seollal preparing food to be used as offerings to their ancestors as well as to be served to the family.
- Many Koreans believe that the taste and appearance of ritual foods determines their ancestors' level of satisfaction and therefore prepare them with great care.
- They prepare ddeok/tteok(떡) which is a sweet sticky rice cake made of rice flour.