Tiger Tracks Inside Edition
Travis High School Faculty Newsletter - December 17, 2018
I have included ALL end of semester emails you have received in this newsletter as well - if anything comes up that is not answered here - please ask! Check out sheets will go in boxes Wednesday afternoon! Please be sure you are working on these tasks all week!
THIS WEEK AT A GLANCE:
Monday, December 17
Holiday Spirit Day: Holiday Pajama Day!
Continue updating Student Conference Forms and logging parent contact for students in danger of failing T2 or S1 in your class. S1 Failures must also be communicated with Counselors. The Student Conf Forms will be due at check out to T-TESS appraiser.
Don't forget about Positive Office Referrals!!! Use these to recognize students doing the RIGHT thing!
ALL 4th and 7th period Teachers Submit Lunch Form/Memo to Ms. Bonner
Last Day of Advisory! Remind Students they will START in Advisory on January 8th
Tuesday, December 18
Holiday Spirit Day: Wear Blue, Silver, and White!
6th period Exam - 12:45-2:45
Wednesday, December 19
Holiday Spirit Day: Warm up Wednesday!!
1st period Exam - 7:30-9:30
3rd period Exam - 9:35-11:35
National Signing Day - 2:00 - Gym
Main Event Party for Student Tiger Pride Point Winners - 11:30-2:45
Thursday, December 20
Holiday Spirit Day: Ugly Sweater Contest!
5th period Exam - 7:30-9:30
7th period Exam - 9:35-11:35
*Early Release for all students
Staffulty Holiday Luncheon
Friday, December 21
Holiday Spirit Day: Wear Red and Green!
2nd period Exam - 7:30-9:30
4th period Exam - 9:35-11:35
*Early Release for all students
11:30-2:30 - Grade Checkout - outside of F114
All Checkout sheets must be completed and turned into T-TESS appraiser no later than 3:00 PM
Boys Basketball: v Elkins @ EHS 4:00/5:30/7:00
Girls Basketball: v Elkins @Wheeler 4:00/5:30/7:00
Textbook Check Information
Many of you have already received a packet in regards to the end of semester textbook checks for yourselves and your students. For those of you that have textbooks (TEs included not just class sets), you received both a teal and white sheet in your mailboxes this morning. You may keep the white sheet for your records, but please return the teal one to Upstairs AP Suite-P209 no later than Friday, 12/21 at 3 pm.
We also encourage you, if you teach a one-semester class to have your students once their books have been checked with you to turn them into our office. We are attempting to prepare for the next semester and want to make sure we have enough resources/books available to ALL students when they are requested.
For your convenience, please find below the detailed instructions below.
TEXTBOOK CHECK INSTRUCTIONS
December 17 - 21, 2018
Please follow the instruction below to conduct Teacher End of the Fall Semester textbook checks for this year.
1. “Teacher Textbook Receipt” form
a. Check the accession number on each book in your class set, Teacher’s Edition and TI Nspire equipment for Math teachers only.
b. Make a note of any missing books. Ask the students to return any books checked out to you if they have borrowed them.
c. Sign and date the bottom of the form.
Return the forms toRoom P209 by Friday, December 21, 2018, at 3 pm.
Can a student take an exam early?
Schedule for January 7th!
7:30-11:00 - Planning, PLC, Work Time
11:00-12:00 - Lunch
12:00-3:00 - Guest Speaker (We will be joined by Bowie and Elkins Faculty as well!)
Textbook Collection/Distribution Information
Please help us help you and your students. The information enclosed in this email is time sensitive and is shareable with your students. Fall one-semester textbook collection begins on Tues., 12/11!
For those students that are taking AP classes, please note that they may return their textbooks (and workbooks if applicable) immediately after they finish their exams.
TEXTBOOK INFORMATION FOR ONE SEMESTER COURSES
Its encouraged that students enrolled in one-semester courses return their textbooks to the Upstairs AP Suite P209 by 12PM on December 21st. One-semester courses include Health, Government, Economics, Psychology, Human Geography, Sociology and Professional Communication. It is very important that your student returns their textbook on time as we need to have enough textbooks to distribute to the students enrolled in the course during the spring semester.
Listed below is the timeline for one semester courses:
· Beginning December 11th students enrolled in one-semester courses can return their textbooks to the Upstairs AP Suite P209 before/after school or during their final exam. ALL one-semester courses textbooks must be returned by 12PM on December 21st to avoid late fees.
· January 8th – Second Semester begins, please do not submit new textbook request before this date.
· January 10th – AP class distribution of one-semester textbooks will begin to be scheduled.
· Students who have dropped a course should have already returned their textbook to the Upstairs AP Suite (Room P209). If you have not done so, please do to avoid late fees.
· Students who have lost a textbook should see Mrs. Fagan/Mrs. Vargas in the Upstairs AP Suite P209.
End of Semester Procedures/Information
The countdown is on for sure – and I am not even sure how this first semester has flown by so quickly! I know that we are all looking forward to a little break to relax and spend time with our family and friends! However, as you are all aware – the next 10 days require a great deal of focus and a lengthy “to-do” list sprinkled with the right amount of holiday celebration!
Please save this email as a reference tool for the remainder of the semester. I will also include this information in the newsletter.
Grade Posting Schedule:
End of Term 2 is Friday. December 21st. Click Here for Exam Schedule.
The Assignment Date range must be within the grading period date range 10/22/18 – 12/21/18. If you create an assignment after 12/21 it will apply to PR5 (Progress Report 5) grading period.
Grades for the Exam, T1, T2, and S1 must be finalized and entered into Skyward before you leave each day as indicated below:
Tuesday, December 18th: All 6th period grades entered before you leave
Wednesday, December 19th: All 1st and 3rd period grades entered before you leave
Thursday, December 20th: All 5th and 7th period grades entered before you leave
Friday, December 21st: All 2nd and 4th period grades entered before 3:00 PM
If the student is absent on exam day, enter a zero. Do NOT leave blank. This is only the case for semester exams – other assignments/tests that a student misses due to absence should not be recorded as a 0.
Grade books will be open until 10:00 AM on Monday, January 7th. You will need to complete an electronic grade change form in Skyward for any changes made after 10:00 AM on January 7th.
As part of grade check out on December 21st, you will be required to turn in printed gradebook spreadsheets for all classes. You do not need to print the gradebook with individual class assignments – you only need to show T1, T2, SE1, and S1 –no PR grades are needed. Please review your spreadsheet before going to check out to ensure you have no blank grades or INC for any of these columns. Please highlight the columns and sign at the bottom of each spreadsheet.
Ms. Olivacce will run the daily blank grade report for after the first day of exams to give you an opportunity each day to know if there is an issue with any of your grades/students in those periods. Please print those spreadsheets daily as well – the queue on Friday will be long if everyone waits to print grades until after noon on Friday. Please print spreadsheets daily by period. If you need to utilize an INC for an extenuating circumstance in T1 or T2, please get approval from the student’s grade level AP to avoid any grade checkout issues.
Reminder: If you have a new student in your class, please do not forget to transfer their grade from the previous teacher using the “NEW” button.
- Be sure you have thoroughly read through and understand ALL exam procedures. Click Here for Exam procedures.
- Make arrangements for all students needing special accommodations during exams with appropriate personnel in advance.
- It is tempting to allow your “movers and shakers” to take a few extra visits outside of the classroom this time of year as they are all “moving and shaking” more than usual, however it is very important that you keep all students inside the classroom and engaged in meaningful activities to prepare them for their semester exams.
- Students with Off Campus periods are not required to report anywhere during those exam periods. Students with Office Aide or O-lab in their schedule must report during exam times.
- Answers to all exam reviews MUST be posted or made available to students prior to the exam to ensure they have accurate answers to study from.
- NO students are allowed to take exams early – exam make ups will be held January 9-17.
- Accommodation and Modification logs must be turned in for Fall Semester/2nd 9 weeks. Special Education logs will be submitted to Mrs. Cervantes or Mrs. Clark and 504 logs will be submitted to the counseling office. Scanned and emailed is the preferable method, but they will take hard copies as well.
- Be sure you are continuing to make parent contact with the parents of all students that are failing or in danger of failing your course for the 9 weeks or semester. Keep a log of all parent contact. A report card in January should not be when the parent finds out that their student failed T2 or S1. Please remember that the T2 grade is what determines a student’s UIL eligibility and the S1 grade is what determines if they receive credit in your course. Both of these are important.
- Teachers of SEMESTER courses – you need to notify the student’s parents AND counselor of any student failure. This is IMPERATIVE for SENIORS as it has direct graduation implications. Again, please document all of this contact.
- All teachers with class sets will be required to complete an End of Semester Textbook Check. Look for instructions to come via email from Mrs. Pugh/Ms. Vargas.
- Please be diligent in your duties over the next week – between classes in the hallway, at the tardy stations, before/after school – we need all eyes and ears on deck to ensure a smooth finish to the semester!
- Monday 12/17 will be the last day to run tardy stations for this semester. For exam days, please assist us in sweeping halls and getting kids to class if you typically were on tardy station duty that period.
- We will run a structured dismissal on both of our early release days to assist in clearing the building. Please remember that NO students stay on those days. All teachers are expected to assist with dismissal both days.
- Reminder to get lunch counts for the early dismissal days (7th period on 12/20 and 4th period on 12/21) – Ms. Bonner will place forms in copy room on the counter near the mailboxes tomorrow and email instructions. Lunch forms are due THIS Friday 12/14.
- We welcome anyone that is interested or available to join us at the lunches in any of the coming days – particularly next week. As we near finals, the excitement builds – and we can always use extra eyes and ears!
- Thank you for your attendance over the next 10 days – as you know, there is no replacement for YOU! J
- There will be a brief semester checkout that will be given out next week that must be completed before you leave campus on Friday. All of the items on the check-out form are listed in this email so there will be no surprises!
- Students should be engaged in instruction daily until the break. There are no parties allowed and students should not be asked to bring food for the exam day.
- If you have questions, ask! We are here to help! J
Thank you for all that you do! You truly are appreciated! And – don’t forget about Friday’s PTO Luncheon! J
Reminders for ALL Staffulty from Mrs. Diaz
I would like to reiterate our expectations regarding classroom management as we have had a few things happen this week that could have and should have been avoided if we are all following procedures.
1. When students leave your room they should always have a pass. Students should not be allowed to leave class to wander the building.
2. If students have off periods – they are NOT allowed to stay on campus. They know the expectations given to them at the beginning of the year and they are to follow them. If there is a request to stay for some reason – that request must be approved in the senior office – by Mr. Bassett or Mrs. Herring.
3. If a student is not on your roll – they should not be in your class.
4. Advisory is included in truancy reporting. If you have a student who is not showing up for you advisory – please let your grade level principal know. No one should be keeping kids through advisory. Again, see #3.
Thank you for following all expected procedures. These are not suggestions J
Support the Golf Team by Ordering from their Team Store - Deadline 12/20
This form is required to be completed by all teachers for each student that failed T1.
POSITIVE OFFICE REFERRALS!
Information from FBISD on Fundraisers
Professional Growth Opportunity through Peer Observation!
To have your name added to the Tiger Board (volunteering to allow others into your classroom), please use this link or add your name to the Tiger Board in the front office behind the mailboxes: https://goo.gl/forms/7jK0Im7OS0bvqDSD2
If you or your PLC would like to observe classrooms, please use this request link: https://goo.gl/forms/qLZNDRfCTr4w4vOq2
December 24 - January 4
Student Holiday/Professional Development Day
First Day of Second Semester
Department Chair Meeting
Holiday - MLK Day
Faculty Meeting (in library during conference periods)
ALL THINGS ADVISORY
9th grade Access Code: 9RPJK-MPNR7
10th grade Access Code: MTPC8-VJHXW
11th grade Access Code: 6P8DB-Q3QXP
12th grade Access Code: VWF3J-W62C3
Weekly Advisory Lesson Plans are located in the 2nd 9 weeks folder of your appropriate Schoology Course under the appropriate dated week. You MUST log in and JOIN the correct Schoology course to access the videos and materials for this week's lessons.
REMINDER! Power Points should be downloaded to computer from Schoology to view embedded videos and hear the voice overs!
Fridays We Wear RED - Tiger Pride Points Link