Shawnee Trail Elementary, September 19, 2016
Why Do We Exist? What Is Our Fundamental Purpose?
- To create a safe, nurturing and inclusive environment, to inspire ALL students to become passionate, lifelong learners.
- To make meaningful and enjoyable connections as we educate the whole child academically, emotionally, and socially.
SHAWNEE TRAIL VISION:
At Shawnee Trail we believe ALL Means ALL:
- ALL students learn at their highest levels, a minimum of one year of growth.
- ALL decisions are based on what is best for students and are aligned with the mission of our school.
- ALL, students and teachers, learn by doing and building on our own strengths and the strengths of others.
Collective Commitments/Norms: "We work interdependently to achieve a common goal, for which we hold ourselves mutually accountable." (Dufour, Dufour, Eaker, All Things PLC)
We cultivate a collaborative culture of continuous improvement:
- Read all resources before collaborative learning meetings.
- Be prepared to share, listen and participate in all group discussions.
We foster a safe supportive and trusting environment:
- Start on time.
- Be engaged 100% of the time. (Leave unnecessary distractions behind and focus wholly on the tasks at hand.)
- Collaborate and contribute equally and meaningfully.
- Be willing to apologize or confront with passion and purpose when a team member fails to honor the commitments.
SHOUT OUT to Adella and the AMP team for providing a great all of the Dot day fun. The video was wonderful! I know the kids enjoyed all the fun activities!
Please enjoy a breakfast treat in the pass-through tomorrow morning. And in celebration of College Week, please feel free to wear jeans Monday, Thursday and Friday. On Monday wear our usual colors (black, white, kahki and/or grey) with your jeans, the darker the better, and no holes or rubber flip flops.
Here's the Dot Day Video!
Parent Teacher Conferences
- All conferences are to be conducted face-to-face. Only in rare instances should phone conferences be held.
- All conferences are to be completed by Friday, November 4.
- Because we are a Title One campus, Parent Compacts must be shared and signatures obtained during conferences. (Duplicate copies are being made at the copy center and will placed in your box this week.)
- The primary purpose of the conferences is to share students' academic and social/emotional progress. Student's strengths, difficulties the student may be having, and how teachers plan to work with teams, in the classroom, and with the campus specialists to guarantee a full year's growth should be discussed.
- All parent conferences will be documented. Team leaders will provide a documentation form that will include student name, parent or guardian signatures, date and time.
- Regularly scheduled Collaborative Learning time is a priority. Teachers will check with teams before scheduling a conference during Collaborative Learning. Teachers and teams will work together to find a time to reschedule Collaborative Learning when necessary.
- If a teacher has difficulty contacting a parent she/he will reach out to administration for support.
- Teachers will include SpEd, dyslexia, ESL, GT, AMP team members and/or administrators when necessary.
Updates from C&I
To assist with getting kids on STEMscopes at home a parent letter has been created that teachers can use as a template. I will email the template to grade level teams.
Students need to be assigned activities in STEMscopes in order to have access to information at home.
If you need help setting up your classrooms in STEMscopes Laura Lee and Jamie would be happy to meet with grade level teams
4th and 5th Grade Collaboratives:
All collaboratives for the year are available for sign up through eduphoria workshop. We encourage earlier enrollment so participants can add the dates to their calendars.
All teachers that teach science in 4th and 5th grade are welcome to attend these informative collaboratives from 3:30-5:00 throughout the school year. Dates can be found on eduphoria workshop and are always at the Maple Street Annex in room 220.
SARAH'S TECHNOLOGY TIDBITS
As so many of you are integrating technology into your lessons already, don't forget you can enroll in the 5C Badge Course to begin earning badges. Many lessons already include technology ideas for you to try.
Once you earn all five, you get an iPad or Chromebook to keep while you are an employee of FISD. The district also makes you and your class famous by recognizing your work at GMST! If you are interested in earning badges, please email me for details and enrollment requirements. I am also glad to work with you individually or with your team to support your learning.
College and Career Week
MONDAY “Top Off Your Education with College”
- WEAR A HAT
TUESDAY "Your Future is Bright!”
- WEAR SUNGLASSES
WEDNESDAY “Dress for Success”
- WEAR CAREER CLOTHING
THURSDAY "Always Be a Team Player in Class”
- WEAR DALLAS COWBOY GEAR
FRIDAY “Show your School Pride!”
- WEAR SHAWNEE TRAIL SPIRIT WEAR
More information may be found on the Shawnee Trail Counselor Website at https://sites.google.com/a/friscoisd.org/shawnee-counselor/ .
Having a growth mindset means understanding that intelligence can be developed.
- A growth mindset is a belief that we can get smarter through hard work and practice.
- This means that struggling with something difficult doesn’t mean you’re not smart—it’s a chance to grow your intelligence.
- Growth mindset is all about trying hard, using good strategies, and getting the help you need.
Partner with our Principal, Mrs. Schaeffer -Come learn more about our principal, Ms. Schaeffer, and our goals and visions for Shawnee Trail.
- Shawnee Trail Elementary Library
- September 30, 2016
- 8:45 a.m. after Good Morning Shawnee Trail
Monday, September 19
- College and Career Week Begins -continues through Friday, September 23
Friday, September 23
- Fall Fun Festival PTA Fundraiser 5:30-8:30 (All staff available are expected to attend for a least part of the evening. Please login to the PTA website to volunteer 30 minutes of your time.)
- Partners With the Principal -After GMST, in the library.
- Reading and Math Essentials Due
- Reading and Math CFAs Created
- Reading and Math CFAs Analyzed