Weekly Staff Bulletin
~March 10-14~Week 26~
Tests & Assessments
Physical Fitness Test - 5th Grade
Opens on February 3rd, closes March 21st
Check in on March 27th & 28th
SR 3 - closes 3/21, Check in April 4
SR 4-opens 3/24
SWT 3 - Opens April 21st
STAR Testing Window
CST/CMA: Science - 5th grade
CAPA: 2nd - 5th grade
Opens April 9th
Closes May 16th
Check In: May 19-21
SBAC - Field Testing Window
ELA &/or Math
Opens April 7th
Closes May 16
Report cards were printed & placed in your box on Friday, March 7th. If you did not finish entering the data &/or comments; you will need to print your own report cards.
The errors on ABI rosters were corrected; please let Beatrice & Zoe know if there are still any additional errors.
Report Card Window
March 10-14: Priority SLCs & SSTs
March 12: No Wednesday PD - Priority SLCs/SSTs/Home visits
March 14: Final day for Report Cards to go home
OUSD Report Card Letter
- Email was sent to you with the letters attached.
- Class set of the English/Spanish letter are in your box; Ms. Marisol made copies & placed in your box.
~What's going on this week?~
NO Strings Class!
I will not be able to teach strings class on Monday March 10. I need to go to a doctor's appointment. Please don't send the kids on Monday
Tuesday, March 11th
*please see the link for schedule details:
In preparation to our data chats, please use the following forms & have them ready to use as a discussion point.
- Student Data Analysis & Teacher Reflection Form
- Data Analysis Template
Jennie has a copy of these forms but they were also shared to you via Google Drive.
Puberty Class for 5th grade
Faculty Council Meeting
Location: Beatrice's Office
Restorative Justice Circle
On Tuesday, MCS & SEED we will be doing a restorative justice circle after school at 2:50 pm in potentially Coach Max's classroom space as a response to the vandalism in the auditorium this past Monday evening. Ms. Spencer is trying to reach the third family but two families have already committed to attend. This is an alternative to suspension but will allow affected school community members and families to share how the vandalism affected them and allow the students who participated to really hear how their actions affected others. It also give the students the chance to take responsibility for their actions. RJ circles are new for our site, but this will give all of us the opportunity to be part of one. Annette Oropeza will be joining us to lead the circle and You are welcome to attend!
We have a new parent coordinator!
Mondays, Tuesdays, & Thursdays
8:30-9:30 AM - on site, parent connections
12:00-3:00 PM - Office hours
9:00-11:00 AM - Kinder & 1st Grade Chronic Absences & Parent Contact (off-site)
11:00 AM - 2:00 PM - Office hours
8:30-10:30 - Office Hours
10:30-11:30 - Weekly bulletin & parent engagement planning (off-site)
You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mindfulness training, anyone?
If you are interested in participating & getting trained, please submit your name to Olivia &/or Beatrice.
They also want to know exactly how many teachers/staff would like to get trained and which course they would like. The list of courses is at http://www.mindfulschools.org/training
~CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTION~
Omaha School Visitors...
The Omaha teachers could not wait to return to their schools to share what they saw. They were especially excited about modeling the academic discussion boards and "fishbowl" discussion they observed in Ms. Perrone's classroom.
Thank you all for your willingness to share your time and your students with our visitors.
Instructional Rounds Findings
- Across the classrooms we see strong structures, procedures, engagement, English Learner support, and climate. Academic discussions should be used at key moments in support of language learning.
- 4th grade - students engaged in group work, but structures for collaboration are not evident during visit. Students talking to each other, but not really listening to each other's responses.
- 5th grade - teacher encouraged students to talk, but students were mostly quiet. Students were able to share their learning target & why it was important to learn it. Structures for academic discussions were not evident during visit.
- Kinder - students fully engaged in whole group instruction, opportunities for partner share were evident, but not observed during visit.
- 1st-3rd - academic discussions were evident, students engaged in purposeful & intentional discussions
- Thoughtful sharing of air time
- Character targets aligned to learning
- Very clear expectations
Questions to consider:
- What are we subconsciously communicating to students about the importance of Spanish?
- How do we elevate the Spanish language?
Attention teachers & staff,
Any student that is sent to the office for discipline need the following:
- hallway pass
- a detailed description why the student was sent to the office (specify if the student needs to reflect or if a referral is on its way)
- little notes on scratch sheet of paper WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Gentle reminder: please remember that it is your responsibility to drop off your classroom in the cafeteria & wait for them to get their food. We have had incidents that students misbehave while walking to the cafeteria or waiting in line & the classroom teacher is not around. My expectation is that you escort your students to the cafeteria & monitor their behavior while in line. Let's come together to decrease incidents.
Student of the Month Nominations
Submit your nominations to Dulce by the end of the week, especially if your class participates in the March 21st assembly. I highly recommend that you use the most recent data to highlight students' growth.
Perfect attendance report will be generated by Dulce.
$15 Gift Card!
P.s. please note: you need to activate the card first by calling the phone number!
Don't do what Beatrice did; she chopped her gift card into little pieces thinking it was a promotional marketing tactic.
ILT Upcoming Meetings
Tuesday, March 18th
Monthly ILT Meeting
Location: Beatrice's Office
La Cosecha Annual Conference
Please let Zoe or Beatrice know in order to begin the registration process.
Check out the link: http://www.dlenm.org/lacosecha2014/
Annual ATDLE Conference
I am looking for 2 teachers that are interested in being SEED's representatives at the 22nd Annual ATDLE conference from June 23-26 in Sacramento. Consideration will be given to new teachers or any teacher that did not participate in any conferences during the regular school year.
Please submit your interest to Beatrice &/or Zoe.
Check out the website: http://atdle.org/conferences/