Colrain Central School News
Where we learn by serving...
February 3, 2023
A Note From Mrs. Looman
- Report cards will be going home with your child next week. As we have resettled into a more normal year of school this year, teachers have been working incredibly hard to help fill gaps created by the pandemic and the interrupted learning that has happened over the last 3 years. Because of this, you may notice that many of the topics on your child's report card have an "NC" (not covered) marked for this semester. Please understand that this simply means that the class has been working on prerequisite standards that may have been missed the previous year. In looking over our winter assessments, I've been pleased to see the progress that students are making and I have no doubt that students will wind up getting caught up on the skills and standards they have missed. You will also notice that there are no grades for music. Because we had a long-term substitute for a period of time and Ms. Cherry just started in January, we are going to wait until the end of year report cards to include music grades.
- The 5th and 6th grade "Winter Wonderland" dance has been rescheduled for Friday, March 3rd from 5:30-7:30. All students must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18. There will be snacks available for purchase as well. Get ready to kick up your heels and have some fun!
- Preschool staffing update: I am pleased to announce that Ms. Patricia Donahue will be filling in as the long-term substitute in Preschool while Ms. Chmura is out on maternity leave. The week after break, both Ms. Chmura and Ms. Donahue will be in the preschool room together. We wish Ms. Chmura all the best for a healthy and safe delivery and we can't wait to meet her new little baby!
- 2nd grade update: As you are aware, Ms. McMillan will be leaving our school community following February break. She will be missed but we wish her all the best as she embarks on this new adventure and are happy that she will be able to spend more time with her family. After considering many possible ways to fill this position, I have made the decision to move Ms. Martin, our Reading Specialist, into the role for the remainder of this year.
- Please see the flyer below for more information about a district camp being held over February break.
COVID tests: Covid tests are available at the Griswold Memorial Library, the town office, and by mail at http://www.covidtests.gov for those who may be looking for them.
Specialist's Scoop: Sarah Jensen, Title I Teacher
3 Act Tasks are problem-based lessons that foster students’ curiosity. Check out this link for tons of 3 Act Task videos organized by grade-level and state standards. Enjoy!
2/9: Report Cards go home
2/9: Hillside Pizza Pickup
2/20-2/24: No school: February break
3/3: 5th & 6th grade Winter Wonderland Dance
February early release dates:
1:50 dismissals: 2/8