MMA Thursday Montessori Moments
June 28, 2018
A Message from our Director, René Baker
I hope that everyone is enjoying their summer thus far. Things have not slowed down at school. The building has been filled with parents, teachers, students, and construction workers. It has been awesome seeing students so engaged with the Project Invention program. Check out some of their inventions in the main picture above.
Thank you for your support of our MMA families who have experienced tragedy at the commencement of summer. Our community is beautiful and I feel fortunate to be a part of it.
Have a safe and enjoyable Independence Day!
The AMS conference attendees brought their idea to the leadership team and then shared their thoughts with the rest of the staff. From there, a curriculum committee convened and all teachers who volunteered to participate were granted the opportunity this summer to work on curriculum reframing. The leadership team provided the time, space (and chocolate) for teachers to collaborate and revise the curriculum.
This new approach and tweaks to our Montessori curriculum will unite our school PreK-9 around six themes for the school year. Popular school events like Literacy Night and Science Fair are incorporated into these leaning cycles in a meaningful way. We have taken this opportunity to build a curriculum that fits MMA and brought together the best pieces from several different Montessori programs in which our teachers were trained.
We are very excited to share our work with you all.
The Board of Directors are pleased to announce our agreement with North Ogden City, Utah in their plans to install a community pond located on the southwest side of our property. We have agreed to allow an expanded easement access in return for some improvements to our playing field. Here are some of the highlights to our agreement:
- North Ogden City has paid to expand the current easement from 20’ to 25’ and extend it down the full length of the school’s west side of our property.
- North Ogden City has already installed the southern portion of pipe during the construction of our addition.
- North Ogden City will start installing the northern portion of pipe during summer.
- North Ogden City will accept un-detained storm water from the school and detain offsite. This will allow us to have a level playing field we will no longer have a dual purpose playing field / detention pond. This is going to be beneficial for our kids.
- Our agreement will allow for us to keep and maintain our own private gate for access to this community pond.
This will be great for all of our students to be able to take advantage of this areas for local field experiences and much more. It will be our responsibility to keep this gate closed and locked at all times when not in use.