Central Park East II
CPE II Notes May 27, 2018
Thursday May 31st. 6PM Spring Concert and PA Elections
The concert will be held at the middle school and will include:
- 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th grade Violinists
- 4th grade Chorus
- Middle School Dance Team
- Middle School Tappers (Tap Dance)
Wednesday, June 6th End of Year Picnic in Central Park and SLT elections
Final Parents’ Association meeting will be on Friday, June 1st, at 8:30am
1. PA president position and Fall Fair chair - need people to fill these roles.
2. Review budget draft for next year.
3. School pictures - request for feedback.
She Persisted by Chelsea Clinton wins 2018 Living the Dream Book Award
For the entire school year our 5th graders have been studying a variety of picture books that best represent the vision of Dr. Martin Luther King. Working with students from Manhattan Country School and the Children's Workshop School, our 5th graders read and debated and in the end, She Persisted written by Chelsea Clinton and illustrated by Alexandra Boiger won this year's prize.
Throughout American history, there have always been women who have spoken out for what’s right, even when they have to fight to be heard. The book introduces thirteen inspirational women who never took no for an answer, and who always, inevitably and without fail, persisted.
We present here photos from the Award ceremony.
7th Annual East Harlem Inter School Chorus Concert May 22, 2018
Our 4th grade Chorus performed at the 7th Annual East Harlem Inter School Chorus Concert last Tuesday. By all accounts they did a wonderful job.The first photo below is just our students. The next photo is the 4 school combined chorus. Then a video of one of the songs. Don't miss their live performance at the May 31st Spring Concert.
$1,763 STILL NEEDED by May 29th
Every year our 2nd graders learn about the birds of NYC in our "For the Birds" project in collaboration with the Audubon Society. Every child that passes through the 2nd grade at CPE II has become a bird expert through this project. $1,763 is still needed by May 29th
Opus 118 End of Year Concert Tuesday, June 5, 6:30PM
Tuesday, June 5, 2018 | 6:30PM | American Academy of Arts and Letters
As another year of music making and learning ends,
everyone is invited to help us celebrate our students' success.
THIS CONCERT WILL INCLUDE ALL CPE II VIOLINISTS
PLEASE SEE IMPORTANT INFORMATION AT END OF CPE II NOTES*
On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 6:30PM students in our In-School Program and After-School Ensembles will perform repertoire they've learned over the course of the year.
Admission is free and seating is open.
The concert is at the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
The entrance is on West 156th St between Broadway and Riverside Drive.
5th grade moving up ceremony and celebration
Moving-Up Ceremony: Thursday, June 21, 2018 at noon in our school auditorium. 5th grade students should get to school at 11am dressed and fed for graduation. The program will take about an hour.
Celebration: Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 5:30 - 7:30 (at the latest) in our school cafeteria.
This is a celebration for 5th graders only. This is not a prom. No parents, no "dates" and no need to dress up. Parents should drop off and pick up or let us know that there child can leave alone. Some parents may want to go to a café together during this time.
8th grade graduation and celebration
Celebration: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 Time and Location TBD
This weekend we did it again. CPE II parents came to support the move. Essentially we are making the space ready for us. We are going through materials that are not being used by PS 50 and sorting into keep and not keep. The items we don't need will be made available to other schools.
We have not yet contacted people for after school and daytime support, but will do that soon. We are also looking for a Saturday in June to support the packing as well. Please sign up at link above or below.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) admitted to losing nearly 1,500 children in their custody, Here’s whatt you can do about it.
What's Going On In Your Child's Brain When You Read Them A Story?
Resources for Parents and Families
Discovery Day at the Diller-Quaile School of Music June 13 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Attend a free Instrument Open House at the Diller-Quaile School of Music24 East 95th Street FREE for Ages 4-18
Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Try a range of instruments with DQ’s expert and caring Faculty
Hear an Exciting Performance by DQ Faculty
Tour the School
Enjoy a Snack
Have you always wondered what it would be like to play the harp? the French horn? the clarinet? the cello? We invite children age four and older to indulge their curiosity and take a turn at many of the instruments Diller-Quaile has to offer.
Reserve Your Place Today at 212-369-1484, extension 26, or email@example.com
No Classes at CPE II on Friday, June 22nd - viernes, 22 de junio: Día de no asistencia escolar en CPE II.
Important Dates Through End of Year
- May 29 – June 1st Grade 8 Science performance test to be administered.
- Thurs. May 31st Spring Concert (Chorus, Tap, Dance Team, 3rd - 6th grade Violinists)
- Monday, June 4th Grades 4 and 8 New York State Science Written section
- Tuesday, June 5th All day rehearsal for End of Year Violin Concert
- Tuesday, June 5th End of Year Violin Concert for ALL in-school violinists 6:30pm
- Wednesday, June 6th End of Year Picnic in Central Park and SLT elections
- Thursday, June 7 Chancellor’s Conference Day – No School for Students
- Monday, June 11 Clerical Day – No School for Students
- Friday, June 15 – Eid al-Fitr Schools are closed
- Wednesday, June 20th 8th grade graduation - 9:30
- Wednesday, June 20th 8th grade celebration - 6 PM
- Thursday, June 21st 5th grade moving up ceremony 12 noon
- Thursday, June 21st 5th grade evening party 5:00 – 7:00
- Thursday, June 21st Last Day of Classes (After this date students will be in schoolwide activities) Student end of year reports distributed.
- Thursday, June 21st Last Day of Taller Latino afterschool
- Friday, June 22nd CPE II Students Non-Attendance Day
- Monday, June 25 – No CPE II classes - students will be in schoolwide activities
- Tuesday, June 26 – 11:30 dismissal No CPE II classes - students will be in schoolwide activities
Calendario de fin de año escolar
- 29 de mayo - 1 de junio: Se administrará el examen de rendimiento de ciencias para el Octavo Grado.
- jueves 31 de mayo: Concierto de primavera (coro, tap, equipo de baile, violinistas de 3ro a 6to grados).
- lunes, 4 de junio: Sección escrita del examen de Ciencias del Estado Grados 4 - 8.
- martes, 5 de junio: Práctica todo el día para el Concierto de violín de fin de año.
- martes, 5 de junio: Concierto de violín de fin de año para TODOS los violinistas a las 6:30 miércoles, 6 de junio: Picnic/pasa día de fin de año en Central Park y Elecciones de SLT.
- jueves, 7 de junio: Día de la Conferencia del Canciller - No hay clases
- lunes, 11 de junio: Día de administradores/oficinistas - No hay clases
- viernes, 15 de junio: Las escuelas de Eid al-Fitr estarán cerradas.
- miércoles, 20 de junio: Graduación del Grado 8 a las 9:30.
- miércoles, 20 de junio: Fiesta del Grado 8, 6:00pm - 8:00pm.
- jueves 21 de junio: Ceremonia de mudanza a la nueva escuela a las 12 del mediodía.
- jueves, 21 de junio: Fiesta del Grado 5, 5:00pm - 7:00pm.
- jueves, 21 de junio: Último día de clases (Después de esta fecha, los estudiantes participarán en actividades de la escuela)
- jueves, 21 de junio: Los estudiantes recibirán los Informes y las calificaciones escolares de fin de año.
- jueves, 21 de junio: Último día de Taller Latino
- viernes, 22 de junio: Día de no asistencia escolar en CPE II.
- lunes, 25 de junio: No habrá clases de CPE II. Los estudiantes participarán en actividades escolares.
- martes, 26 de junio: Salida temprana de los estudiantes a las 11:30am. No habrá clases en CPE II. Los estudiantes participarán en actividades escolares.
*Important Information for CPE II Violinists
ALL VIOLINISTS ARE EXPECTED TO PARTICIPATE. This is part of the expectation for students in the violin program.
All students will have Rehearsal on June 5th during the school day. Students will report to their schools in the morning for attendance with their violin, a BAG LUNCH AND A FULL WATER BOTTLE labeled with their name. They can bring a book to read, and/or coloring materials/activity books. Let Naomi know if you need a school lunch Students will be taken by bus to the American Academy of Arts and Letters for rehearsal. They will be chaperoned by Opus 118 teachers and parent volunteers. Students will be returned to their schools in time for regular dismissal. Your child should be dressed in comfortable clothes and must bring his/her violin to school that day! The instruments will be left at the Academy for tuning after the rehearsal.
Concert: In the evening, please bring your child to the American Academy of Arts and Letters in concert dress NO LATER THAN 6:00 P.M. to the theater entrance on 156th Street. Students should dress for a special occasion and remember to dress cool; stage lights are very warm.
After the Concert: Students must bring their instruments home. They will return them to school the next day, Wednesday June 6th. Opus 118 will not be held responsible for any instruments left at the Academy after the concert.
Volunteers: We need parent volunteers from each school to help, especially with so many students involved. If you are able to help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
Permission Slips were distributed last week and must be returned to your child’s violin teacher by Thursday, May 31st. Encourage your child to practice regularly at home so he/she will feel confident and comfortable in this concert. Most pieces are played by memory, so keep them practicing and make sure they bring their violins to school for the remaining violin classes before the concert.